PO: The Starting Line - Two EPs on 10" Vinyl 2/7

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

head up that both the records arrived today and will begin to ship out this week in the order they were placed. We are finished up the liner notes in the next day or two and will post pics of everything along with the actual records in the next day or two.

Also for those who care, we only have 3 copies of "make yourself at home" left and under 30 of "with hopes...."

RAD. Thanks for the update.

$15.50 if you buy all 6 records from them. Miss the days of VC flat rate shipping, but I guess that's one of the many reasons why Virgil had to run away with the Co-Ops money.

I made the vc board promo code to knock down the shipping cost a bit but i still needa buy tape, mailers, labels, bubble wrap plus pay people to help me package(its already over 300 orders)..no one takes that shit into account, its time and money besides just the price on the sticker

I was going to respond, but jesus. I pity the people that are actually buying this rehashed crap.

Instant pop up label in a box!

I made the vc board promo code to knock down the shipping cost a bit but i still needa buy tape, mailers, labels, bubble wrap plus pay people to help me package(its already over 300 orders)..no one takes that shit into account, its time and money besides just the price on the sticker

I was going to respond, but jesus. I pity the people that are actually buying this rehashed crap.

you "pity" people getting an album that they love on vinyl, the first and only time it's been pressed? regardless of the label, why the hell wouldn't you buy this if you love the release and it wasn't a crazy price? the release looks like it is put together very nicely, and while the dude that runs the label seems like a tool with his weird internet lingo that I've seen him type with, this is going to be awesome when it is in hand.

you "pity" people getting an album that they love on vinyl, the first and only time it's been pressed? regardless of the label, why the hell wouldn't you buy this if you love the release and it wasn't a crazy price? the release looks like it is put together very nicely, and while the dude that runs the label seems like a tool with his weird internet lingo that I've seen him type with, this is going to be awesome when it is in hand.

No, kind of came out wrong. Just meant that this dude is a dick, seems like he has a superiority complex, and thinks he's Mr. Badass.

Not the people buying it.

I did just read what what Vinyl Junkie wrote, I realize I'm older and in the camp that he speaks of as well. It's hard not to hate on these newer labels that are lazy and entitled, and just licence everything they do, with no ingenuity. It's the easy way to sell records. Screw the smaller bands that deserve to be heard, just licence out a band thats already popular and guarantees sales.

His quote from some other thread about putting out his own bands was "I tried that once, and lost money"

Story short, the dude seems like a dick, and doing things for all the wrong reasons.

Get off my lawn!

No, kind of came out wrong. Just meant that this dude is a dick, seems like he has a superiority complex, and thinks he's Mr. Badass.

I did just read what what Vinyl Junkie wrote, I realize I'm older and in the camp that he speaks of as well. It's hard not to hate on these newer labels that are lazy and entitled, and just licence everything they do, with no ingenuity. It's the easy way to sell records. Screw the smaller bands that deserve to be heard, just licence out a band thats already popular and guarantees sales.

His quote from some other thread about putting out his own bands was "I tried that once, and lost money"

Story short, the dude seems like a dick, and doing things for all the wrong reasons.

Get off my lawn!

I understand man! And I basically 100% agree with you now that you explained your statement and reasoning! I would have licensed this record in a heartbeat myself ;)

Get off my lawn!

Yeah, what kind of label licenses old titles by once-popular bands and presses them on multiple colors of vinyl to feed a collector frenzy???

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9126-moral-crux-pop-culture-assassins-vinyl-lp

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9098-moral-crux-self-titled-re-master-reissue

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/46693-moral-crux-i-was-a-teenage-teenager-3d-deluxe-pre-order

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9097-pink-lincolns-back-from-the-pink-room-deluxe-vinyl-lp-almost-oop

Oh. ::)

Get off my lawn!

Yeah, what kind of label licenses old titles by once-popular bands and presses them on multiple colors of vinyl to feed a collector frenzy???

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9126-moral-crux-pop-culture-assassins-vinyl-lp

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9098-moral-crux-self-titled-re-master-reissue

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/46693-moral-crux-i-was-a-teenage-teenager-3d-deluxe-pre-order

http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/9097-pink-lincolns-back-from-the-pink-room-deluxe-vinyl-lp-almost-oop

I'm with Scott here. This is such nonsense.

"Fuck you man; you're doing it the easy way."

If he is putting out vinyl people want to buy then both he and they are winning.

Besides, if and when he gets things going steady, he can take some risks and put out some new stuff if he feels like it. If he doesn't, everyone is still winning (see: above and Charlie Sheen).

I don't know Dave, but based on the info on his website it appears that he knows the bands and worked with them to get their stuff reissued and back in print, and put a lot of work into the art and mastering, which I would categorize differently than calling up a label, sending them a check, putting up a preorder, and mailing a CD to Pirates Press.

I don't know Dave, but based on the info on his website it appears that he knows the bands and worked with them to get their stuff reissued and back in print, and put a lot of work into the art and mastering, which I would categorize differently than calling up a label, sending them a check, putting up a preorder, and mailing a CD to Pirates Press.

You can argue the nuances of it all you want, but at the end of the day, Jailhouse is doing the same thing as Enjoy The Ride—they're obtaining licenses to some of their favorite records that are either out of print or were never pressed in the first place and pressing them over a variety of colors to appeal to the collector-nerd market. Dave's just being critical because it's music he doesn't like on a label run by a person he doesn't know who doesn't abide by whatever old punk-scene rulebook said you have to do to release a record.

Get off my lawn!

I've never licenced an album in my life.

Those are bands that own their content, and that I am very good friends with, sorry that you think they used to be popular, or that I am capitalizing on them or something?

Not to mention the examples cited above are out of 30+ releases.

Your the music editor for AP, your opinion on anything has already been invalidated, unless you count the musical taste of teenage hipsters.

For the record, I also don't see anything wrong with licencing releases. But when it's your sole source of content, and an obvious way to try to sell albums with little effort, and on top of that being a dick, that when it get's stupid.

Plus I seriously doubt "collector types" are tripping over themselves trying to score copies of 80's punk rock/hardcore bands vinyl. I tend to think there is a big difference between re-releasing out of print albums by bands your friends with, that have an underground fanbase, and paying licencing fees to licence some major label affiliate band, selling 50 test presses, offering 2 packs, paying a staff to package your releases, and then disrespecting the same people that buy the releases.

My very first licenced release comes out late this summer. Can you believe the label that originally released the album wants no money at all from me to release it? Crazy huh? That's what happens when you actually know, and gasps! are friends with the people that your doing releases for, and they ask you to re-issue something because they know and respect you, not because you have enough money to toss them.

I've never licenced an album in my life.

Those are bands that own their content, and that I am very good friends with, sorry that you think they used to be popular, or that I am capitalizing on them or something?

Not to mention the examples cited above are out of 30+ releases.

Your the music editor for AP, your opinion on anything has already been invalidated, unless you count the musical taste of teenage hipsters.

It's pathetic that you can't have a real conversation about this stuff without slinging insults toward me. Be an adult and discuss the matter at hand, and knock it off with the pointless shit-talk.

For the record, I also don't see anything wrong with licencing releases. But when it's your sole source of content, and an obvious way to try to sell albums with little effort, and on top of that being a dick, that when it get's stupid.

Plus I seriously doubt "collector types" are tripping over themselves trying to score copies of 80's punk rock/hardcore bands vinyl. I tend to think there is a big difference between re-releasing out of print albums by bands your friends with, that have an underground fanbase, and paying licencing fees to licence some major label affiliate band, selling 50 test presses, offering 2 packs, paying a staff to package your releases, and then disrespecting the same people that buy the releases.

My very first licenced release comes out late this summer. Can you believe the label that originally released the album wants no money at all from me to release it? Crazy huh? That's what happens when you actually know, and gasps! are friends with the people that your doing releases for, and they ask you to re-issue something because they know and respect you, not because you have enough money to toss them.

You're right, there are differences between how Jailhouse runs and how Enjoy The Ride runs, but at the end of the day, you both have different business models. He runs his business the way he likes to run it, and if it comes back to bite him in the ass, then he'll learn. I'm sure you've made plenty of mistakes running Jailhouse that you've learned from, too. Your rampant negativity toward how the guy conducts himself does nothing but strengthen his resolve, most likely (aka the "haters gonna hate" principle).

IMO, EnjoyTheRide records is simply giving The starting line fans what they want! Granted, it's a project with little risk, but what is so wrong with that? Quite frankly, I love the re-issuing of older, and most of the time, better music (or at least more nostalgic) way more than pre-ordering new music that I may not enjoy nearly as much. There needs to be a little bit of both in this world, so stop the hate!

Plus, and here's where the hate really gets put on me! ETR, next time, make shipping $10 per item! The real fans and supporters will pay for it, and the people who buy it for other reasons may not... If you would have told me it was that much to ship each item, I'd still be equally as eager to give him my money!