PO: RADIOHEAD - The King of Limbs

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else thinking this isn't the end of this album? I'm thinking there is gonna be a part 2. Separator has the line "you think this is over, you're wrong" and it is called "separator". Could be the mid point of 2 parts. And also the order itself is TKOL1. Maybe there will be a TKOL2? Radiohead do like doing things like this so some food for rumor pot there for you guys

i honestly don't really see the amnesiac comparisons(especially to the first half of the album), other than it's radiohead so it sounds like them.

to me the songs on amnesiac have much more open space. And amnesiac is basically kid b, so i don't get why everyone is saying amnesiac rather than kid a.

Amnesiac is more jazz-influenced than its predecessor, and though it is comprised of songs that many consider to be "leftovers from the Kid A sessions", I feel it stands on its own as one of their finest works. The King Of Limbs definitely falls in to the jazzier territory that Amnesiac explored, so I can agree with the comparison.

I do disagree, however, with the opinion that the new record is basically "The Eraser Part 2." The Eraser is a sparse, predominantly electronic album with absolutely no live drums, and few instruments. The King Of Limbs is so much more of a lush offering than Thom's solo work. Phil's continued obsession with insane time signatures in his drumming takes center stage on songs with percussion. Here you have guitars on most songs. Colin's bass composition is perhaps the best it's been on any Radiohead record. While The King Of Limbs is not as full-on-rock as, say, Hail To The Thief, Ok Computer, The Bends, or In Rainbows, it is indisputably more of a band effort than The Eraser.

I also don't think that there will be more songs to the album other than the standard fare of b-sides on singles. As for the opinion that Separator "separates" TKOL and another part, and that its closing lyric implies anything as literal as "this is not the end of the album...there's more!", you'd have to be pretty naïve to think that Radiohead would do anything as cheesy as that.

All this said, I will be happy to consume more songs should the band choose to release any! ;D

i'm not knocking amnesiac, just saying i don't think it sounds that similar.

you sir make some very good points. i love tkol and think its amazing listen. not sure where it will rank overall in the discography just yet but i really do enjoy it. i love in rainbows as well but tkol seems to reward closer listening.

the time signatures are insane and i love every second!

i'm not knocking amnesiac, just saying i don't think it sounds that similar.
I didn't think you were, it's just my favorite Radiohead album and I'm kind of defensive of it :P I do think that TKOL is kind of jazzy in the same way as Amnesiac, but they are two vastly different monsters for sure.
I only bring up there possibly being more tunes to come from some things I've read and been hearing. I also like the idea of the "newspaper album" bringing possibilities of future substriptions to more music. But who knows! I'm excited either way!
Oh I would love some more music! Unfortunately I'm a pessimist :(

• 1 month later...
I thought this was going to be a 2X10 but every time I see it in a store it looks like a single 12". Was I completely mistaken when I thought it was gonna be 2X10?

the regular version is a 12" but the newspaper edition is a 2x10", at least that's what i understand

This is correct, there are 2 versions. The standard black LP is out already and the 2x10" is shipping next month.

I thought this was going to be a 2X10 but every time I see it in a store it looks like a single 12". Was I completely mistaken when I thought it was gonna be 2X10?

In addition to the [pricier] 02 x 10" version, there's also...

Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.

I really don't have any idea what this means, but it sounds like it could be promising. I'm picturing some kind of transparent plastic case, with the large art as a backdrop. Vinyl would probably be held in place somewhere in the middle, and then some kind of shredded paper (confetti?) featuring miniature art... stuffed everywhere else. I could be entirely off, but I suppose it'll be interesting regardless.

In addition to the [pricier] 02 x 10" version, there's also...

Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.

I really don't have any idea what this means, but it sounds like it could be promising. I'm picturing some kind of transparent plastic case, with the large art as a backdrop. Vinyl would probably be held in place somewhere in the middle, and then some kind of shredded paper (confetti?) featuring miniature art... stuffed everywhere else. I could be entirely off, but I suppose it'll be interesting regardless.

I imagined something along these lines. Or maybe it's a slipcase type of thing. Doesn't it say there's a purpose made jacket? I don't know, but i can't wait to see what this is going to look like.

Thanks for clearing that up, everyone! I guess I didn't realize that the 2X10 format was going to be limited to the special newspaper edition because I remember reading that when it first went up for pre-order. I think I'd be fine with 12" though that art description was very intriguing.

man i saw this bumped and got all excited that it shipped early or something. damn

Me too sir, me too. I will say that I am worried about damage during shipping because of how elaborate this package is going to be. I went ahead and picked up the regular 12" last week to hold me over. It only cost a whopping $9.99.

Thank you - Merci - Gracias - Grazie - Dankeschön - Obrigado - Gui lah hui te ha - Ashoge - Shukran - Tsikomo - M goi - Tak - Dank u - Vinaka - Aabhar - Köszönöm - Go raibh maith agaibh - Arigato - Tashakkur - Dziekuje - Gestena - Hvala - Tack - Tesekkür ederim - Spasibo - Dêkuji - Sas efharisto ......

Right, that's most of you covered, apologies to those we've missed out ... ok, so here are two tracks for your listening pleasure:

Supercollider and The Butcher. We released these as a limited edition 2 track 12inch vinyl to mark Independent Record Store Day last Saturday, April 16 ... so in case you missed out and didn't get a copy here they are.

It's a thank you for being SO supportive of what we do ...

p.s. This is not part of a new loyalty points scheme, a Radiohead clubcard or even an air miles redeemable reward type thing...

It is just a big old-fashioned thank you!

Hope your Spring/Autumn is good.

Ed, Colin, Jonny, Philip & Thom

x

FYI... 'The Butcher' was recorded and mixed during 'The King of Limbs' sessions, but we couldn't make it work on the album; 'Supercollider' was started during those sessions and finished off in March of this year.