Most Overrated Movie?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you even watch the movie? Racist? It was the goddamn Civil War.

How old are you? What the hell?

Um. I have indeed watched the movie. I have seen many movies on the civil war, and none have such a derogatory, stereoptypical depiction of blacks. Every black character is pretty much like this:

Aloof, inept, intelligence level of a 4 year old, wouldn't know how to live if it weren't for the whites keeping watch over them. It's an ugly stereotype with a long history, and it's prevalent in Gone With The Wind.

I'm trying to figure out what "it was the goddamn civil war" is supposed to mean. I get that the Civil War-era South was still very racist, and it's expected that it'll be portrayed that way in film. GWTW doesn't even do that, though. It just basically romanticizes the "simpler time" when people could own other people.

PS: I'm 12 years old, but I'll be 13 in April!

My age comment was based on your mention of 'a different time'. It seemed uneducated and ignorant. Key word being 'seemed'. I'm not calling you uneducated and ignorant. I guess I viewed the movie differently than you. I didn't see the use of slavery as romanticizing it or longing for a simpler time. It was a fact that it existed, Prissy was very weak and weak minded and fell apart when she was needed, Mammy did the exact opposite. Hell, it's all opinion I just couldn't possibly disagree more with your characterization.

I look at Gone With the Wind in many ways the way I look at The Godfather. The main characters aren't people that you are supposed to root for. They are self-serving and loathsome. Scarlett is a selfish asshole that takes everybody's chance at happiness and turns it around to suit her needs. She's awful. Melanie Rhett and Ashley would have been far better off never knowing her. The very ending of the movie is an exclamation point supporting that.

Um. I have indeed watched the movie. I have seen many movies on the civil war, and none have such a derogatory, stereoptypical depiction of blacks. Every black character is pretty much like this:

Aloof, inept, intelligence level of a 4 year old, wouldn't know how to live if it weren't for the whites keeping watch over them. It's an ugly stereotype with a long history, and it's prevalent in Gone With The Wind.

I'm trying to figure out what "it was the goddamn civil war" is supposed to mean. I get that the Civil War-era South was still very racist, and it's expected that it'll be portrayed that way in film. GWTW doesn't even do that, though. It just basically romanticizes the "simpler time" when people could own other people.

PS: I'm 12 years old, but I'll be 13 in April!

My age comment was based on your mention of 'a different time'. It seemed uneducated and ignorant. Key word being 'seemed'. I'm not calling you uneducated and ignorant. I guess I viewed the movie differently than you. I didn't see the use of slavery as romanticizing it or longing for a simpler time. It was a fact that it existed, Prissy was very weak and weak minded and fell apart when she was needed, Mammy did the exact opposite. Hell, it's all opinion I just couldn't possibly disagree more with your characterization.

I look at Gone With the Wind in many ways the way I look at The Godfather. The main characters aren't people that you are supposed to root for. They are self-serving and loathsome. Scarlett is a selfish asshole that takes everybody's chance at happiness and turns it around to suit her needs. She's awful. Melanie Rhett and Ashley would have been far better off never knowing her. The very ending of the movie is an exclamation point supporting that.

all i could think of after reading this last paragraph is 'gee, the cast of it's always sunny should remake gone with the wind for an episode. it'd be spot on.'

all i could think of after reading this last paragraph is 'gee, the cast of it's always sunny should remake gone with the wind for an episode. it'd be spot on.'

I would support that! That's really funny.

ok, I think they are overrated and I think they suck...strictly opinion...chill out dude

And yes, I think close encounters was boring as hell

ET was ok, but I would never watch it again...

Also, to add to add to my original comment, has george lucas really done anything of worth since the original star wars movie, yes i think its lame, but I am not denying it was an important film, especially because of the following it has,

But really

his first movie THX 1138 dispite having awesome robert duvall in it sucked ass

and he produced Howard The Duck...who could have thought that was a good idea

George lucas got lucky with the first star wars and he knows it. That is why he keeps beating the franchise into the ground. Star Wars is a cash cow and the old greedy bastard is milking the fuck out of it

i wasn't defending george lucas, just star wars. but since you brought up what else he's done besides star wars, have you heard of some movies about some guy called indiana jones?

also, he's the man who brought us all the land before time. and we all know how much littlefoot rules.

edit: oh and, his company industrial light and magic has revolutionized the special effects industry AND more or less founded pixar (which was then sold).

Yeah, fuck indiana jones too, just as boring lame and overrated as star wars, plus...didn't speilberg direct those....lucas just gloomed on like he ususally does and probably only wrote one page of the script and demanded the writing credit....

Land before time is pretty cool, but only because Don Bluth directed it and he is pretty awesome most of the time when it comes to animated films....with the exception of Troll in Central Park...ughh...I don't think that George Lucas's part in this movie is enough to credit it to him...

Ill give it to you on the special effects...he really has been a huge influence in that area, but special effects do not make up for boring dull stories....and that is what Star Wars and Indiana Jones are full of...sorry man, I just don't like them...

Plus George Lucas produced Howard The Duck...and the Star Wars Christmas Special.....ughhh...how could anyone think those movies were good ideas...

if you're going to criticize star wars, at least mention the trainwreck known as jar jar binks.

when i went on a tour of lucasarts last summer, they had a statue/lifesize wall hanging of jar jar binks encased in carbonite (right next to han encased in carbonite). apparently they had it made as a joke because everyone hates him so much. el. oh. el.

if you're going to criticize star wars, at least mention the trainwreck known as jar jar binks.

when i went on a tour of lucasarts last summer, they had a statue/lifesize wall hanging of jar jar binks encased in carbonite (right next to han encased in carbonite). apparently they had it made as a joke because everyone hates him so much. el. oh. el.

haha...yeah, I consider the new trilogy to be more of George Lucas raping his own franchise much like steven speilberg did with the kingdom of the crystal skull. It is really sad and pathetic because even though I don't like the original star wars movies, I can appreciate them (at least "A New Hope" and "Empire") because of what they brought to filmmaking. Return of the Jedi was just lazy writing, and the new trilogy is half assed at best. All of the actors are a joke and just because it continues the story and shows the genesis of darth vader doesn't make it good. If I were a star wars fan, I would be insulted by these additions to the star wars franchise, because it was basically just lucas throwing together some bullshit so that he could make a quick buck. Jar-Jar Binks is the epitome of that bullshit...

i wasn't defending george lucas, just star wars. but since you brought up what else he's done besides star wars, have you heard of some movies about some guy called indiana jones?

also, he's the man who brought us all the land before time. and we all know how much littlefoot rules.

edit: oh and, his company industrial light and magic has revolutionized the special effects industry AND more or less founded pixar (which was then sold).

Yeah, fuck indiana jones too, just as boring lame and overrated as star wars, plus...didn't speilberg direct those....lucas just gloomed on like he ususally does and probably only wrote one page of the script and demanded the writing credit....

Land before time is pretty cool, but only because Don Bluth directed it and he is pretty awesome most of the time when it comes to animated films....with the exception of Troll in Central Park...ughh...I don't think that George Lucas's part in this movie is enough to credit it to him...

Ill give it to you on the special effects...he really has been a huge influence in that area, but special effects do not make up for boring dull stories....and that is what Star Wars and Indiana Jones are full of...sorry man, I just don't like them...

Plus George Lucas produced Howard The Duck...and the Star Wars Christmas Special.....ughhh...how could anyone think those movies were good ideas...

you sound like you're grasping at straws to make lucas look bad. anyone with some insight on film knows he's not the best director and his producing credits only follow the material he himself directs and writes. lucas wrote the story for the indiana jones saga. he didn't write one page. also "howard the duck" was a bad movie. no one is saying otherwise. it was the 80's. people liked cheese, and those same people have a appreciation for it as well. hence it's popularity. but no one is doubting it's a ham of a movie or that it's overrated.

actually don bluth, like lucas, is a average director. his success as animator for past films is where his popularity lies. the guy directed a lot of duds too. he hasn't really done anything substantial (more like coasting) since "land before time". much like lucas hasn't done anything substantial since "return of the jedi" and even that was pushing it. I'm not doubting lucas's directing abilities. He can't direct on so many levels. 1st being with the actors. so many big stars and none of them could really grasp their scenes. It's not really their fault either. The best thing of the whole last trilogy was "Star Wipes". "Empire" was probably the best overall installment into the Star Wars saga and he had help in in writing the script as well as having a adequate director for it. I would think he's foremost a writer before a director/producer. that is where his strength lies.

Dude isn't a shitty director, just not a very adequate one. I will give him some credit. the "american graffiti" film was soooo good. so many firsts for that movie that paved way for many others later. and it had "wolfman jack"!! That's a automatic win right there. Much like Samuel Jackson in "Do the Right thing". Just brilliance.

also, all my hipster/artsy friends were hyping up 'the science of sleep' and when i saw it, i was just kind of bored by it. i didn't dislike it persay, but it tried way too hard to be hip and 'out there', imo.

THIS. I don't see what people like about this movie. I also don't know why people love Scarface so much. It's just Al Pacino with a bad Cuban accent and a bunch of guns.

also, all my hipster/artsy friends were hyping up 'the science of sleep' and when i saw it, i was just kind of bored by it. i didn't dislike it persay, but it tried way too hard to be hip and 'out there', imo.

THIS. I don't see what people like about this movie. I also don't know why people love Scarface so much. It's just Al Pacino with a bad Cuban accent and a bunch of guns.

it's a little more than that.... it had cussing.. duh.

truthully, because its' a story of greed. but it just got remade in a new fashion. it was over the top.

It seems to me that some people dislike popular movies just to dislike them. Maybe they tire of hearing about them and decide they're not gonna like them before ever watching. I can understand references to Tarantino movies in here. If you don't care his long diatribes you are not gonna like his movies. And lots of people can't stand them, saying there's too much talking (I personally love them). But movies like The Departed, Fight Club and The Dark Knight? Not everybody is gonna like all three, but for someone to give all of them an honest chance and still dislike them completely baffles me.

I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not trying to sway anyone. Just wanna understand the need to not like popular movies. And this happens... A lot. I see it often on IMDB, the same users bashing every movie with a rating above 75-80%. Not saying that bigmanandy does this, he could very well just not like those movies. And that's fine. But reading those posts made me think of this and I've meaning to pose this question for quite a while.

This read my mind. People do the same with music. I always had "those friends" in hs and college that hated any band that got the least bit big. It was like once they had >x amount of followers they sucked, sold out, played shitty music, etc etc. In all honesty I catch myself doing this sometime and being almost ashamed to admit I listen to or watch certain music and films.

Although Ido have extreme social anxiety and overly worry about what every single person thinks about me even random people. But still it is not fair for me to do to the band or movies, I really should give them a chance or at least not be afraid to support my own opinions/desires. (I was even hesitant on posting a picture of the records I got over the past 3 weeks since I was out of town for work cause did not want people I do not even know judging me lol)

/end self-psychology shinfo rant