VARIANT COLLECTORS LOOK HERE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not getting why variant collectors not only do what they do, but come out and defend themselves. You're free to do what you like with the money you earned, so go ahead and buy those 3 new colors of that Four Year Strong record so you can lay them on your floor, take a picture, and put them on your shelf forever, but don't waste time writing up a defense, like burning hundreds of dollars on bullshit is a noble pursuit.

Wait. You have variants on your list...David Bazan, Pedro the Lion, and others. And your list has pictures!

I don't care what people do with their money and I'm way too old to care what people think about what I do with mine, but you should get why variant collectors do what they do, since you are one. Or, is some variant collecting ok?

I only "collect" Screeching Weasel related vinyl. I like it. It brings me joy. I also buy a shit ton of other records, so my buying Screeching Weasel variants is not taking away from my enjoyment of other music.

Still not getting why variant collectors not only do what they do, but come out and defend themselves. You're free to do what you like with the money you earned, so go ahead and buy those 3 new colors of that Four Year Strong record so you can lay them on your floor, take a picture, and put them on your shelf forever, but don't waste time writing up a defense, like burning hundreds of dollars on bullshit is a noble pursuit.

Wait. You have variants on your list...David Bazan, Pedro the Lion, and others. And your list has pictures!

I don't care what people do with their money and I'm way too old to care what people think about what I do with mine, but you should get why variant collectors do what they do, since you are one. Or, is some variant collecting ok?

I only "collect" Screeching Weasel related vinyl. I like it. It brings me joy. I also buy a shit ton of other records, so my buying Screeching Weasel variants is not taking away from my enjoyment of other music.

Don't forget The Mae Shi. Yeah, I have a few (2) variant "collections", but none of those records were pressed by opportunistic label owners who realized they could make more money by pressing 4 colors at once (with the exception of the last few Bazan Christmas singles... Suicide Squeeze is an asshole). The pictures are a product of my obsessive compulsive desire to maintain order wherever I can.

I just have a problem with people who collect like 20 bands with 20+ variants of each release, or people who feel the need to start collections of every band that releases their first 7". I have much more respect for collectors of bands like J Church, Fucked Up, other bands that have put out a million releases. It seems like it'd be more fun to track down records and end up with a few songs you haven't heard than to dutifully buy each new pressing of Sink Or Swim when it comes out.

Don't forget The Mae Shi. Yeah, I have a few (2) variant "collections", but none of those records were pressed by opportunistic label owners who realized they could make more money by pressing 4 colors at once (with the exception of the last few Bazan Christmas singles... Suicide Squeeze is an asshole). The pictures are a product of my obsessive compulsive desire to maintain order wherever I can.

I just have a problem with people who collect like 20 bands with 20+ variants of each release, or people who feel the need to start collections of every band that releases their first 7". I have much more respect for collectors of bands like J Church, Fucked Up, other bands that have put out a million releases. It seems like it'd be more fun to track down records and end up with a few songs you haven't heard than to dutifully buy each new pressing of Sink Or Swim when it comes out.

So once Gaslight puts out a few more albums it will be okay to collect them?

In the near future Gaslight has the Fake Problems split, Some RSD release, Horrible Crows full length, and they started writing a new Gaslight full length, plus the TCM ep if Virgil ever gets off his ass..

In the near future Gaslight has the Fake Problems split, Some RSD release, Horrible Crows full length, and they started writing a new Gaslight full length, plus the TCM ep if Virgil ever gets off his ass..

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's like 10 colors of all their albums, and every time there's a new pressing of one of them, the thread about it on this board looks like this: "oh, my wallet hates me, but I've already got the first 6 pressings, so I'm in for this one." At some point, shouldn't you draw the line? Doesn't it stop being fun once you've dropped over $100 on represses of the same album?

I realize this is worn out territory for this board, but whatever.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's like 10 colors of all their albums, and every time there's a new pressing of one of them, the thread about it on this board looks like this: "oh, my wallet hates me, but I've already got the first 6 pressings, so I'm in for this one." At some point, shouldn't you draw the line? Doesn't it stop being fun once you've dropped over $100 on represses of the same album?

I realize this is worn out territory for this board, but whatever.

I drew the line once I saw them play and realized they didn't seem too interested in someone who has probably helped sell a shit ton of records for them. Whatever, that band is a joke anymore... Stoked I collected the shit out of them and they're popular as fuck, means all the records I don't care about anymore are worth money in the bank now. Flip it like it's hot!

Gaslight:

i am "from" New Brunswick - i dont know them, they dont know me.

i heard a few songs.

i don't think i like them.

hard to whippy kick to.

they played with murder by death and it sold out in philly.

i was upset - i blame them.

the end.

fair enough, you don't need to own every single record of some bad band.

however, i like so precious little these days.

so i don't feel bad for owning a shit ton of HWM.

on split red/orange, on egg drop yellow, on mushy purple on whatever.

they are awesome.

nuff said.