packing advice?

I'm sending some records to a friend in Texas, and kind of ran into a shitty situation. The parcel ended up to be just over 1kg, so when I went in to get a quote, I was informed that my nice work was going to cost me $23 to send. I let my friend know, told him I'll try to find a way to bring it under 1kg and eventually the idea of an elephant sized bubble mailer was brought up.

Now, normally I would never ship like this, but I once had records shipped to me in an oversized bubble mailer (granted, I would never have agreed to even buy the records if the guy had told me he was shipping them this way, on top of that he was sketchy as balls) and they got to me without damage.

So both me and my friend are okay with the risk of doing this, but I still want to get them to him intact. I bought the mailer today and got a new quote at the post office. In the bubble mailer, the records are now just under 1kg (with a stiff piece of cardboard on each side), and the new quote will saves me over $10.

So my question, are there any other precautions I can take that'll increase the chance or them getting to him fine? I've never shipped like this before, and hopefully never have to again, but is there anybody that's done this that have advice on how to keep them safe in there?

Unfortunately, sending them in separately would be just as, if not more, expensive. Canada Post is literally Satan, and anybody that's ever shipped with them will vouch for that.

The records I mentioned that were shipped to me in a bubble mailer had no cardboard and got to me fine, so I'm hoping my setup with the cardboard will be a-ok. I'm just a bit paranoid because I know how some usps workers treat things. In any case, sending them in the bubble mailer gets me to 988 grams, and I'm able to ship it to my friend for about $12.

use the ship in a click service on canadapost.ca. you can "underestimate" the shipping and save yourself some money. i always ship my records for much less than they actually weigh and i've never had problems. beware, there are weight thresholds. for instance, a package that weighs .06 (or is it .6?) kg will cost $5-$7 less than a package that ways .07 (or .7). i hope you have a printer!

Wow, thanks man. Didn't realize I could do it all online. But it's kinda looking like anything from 0.6kg to .9kg is all $12.41 for me. I don't think I could get away with listing them as 0.5. Or are you suggesting that I could use my cardboard mailer?

But this will definitely be super useful in the future, had no idea!

Somebody shipped me 4 records across the country in a folded bubble mailer last week. I was pretty nervous to open it but, amazingly, they were okay. My worst experience was when somebody shipped me Bleed American in nothing but a sheet of paper. I think it was an old grocery bag. This happened in the dead of winter and came from New York to California.

Cut the bubble mailer or fold it under. Make the package fit with as little movable space as possible. Besides the postal service just throwing it or putting something heavy on top and crushing it. Space for the records to move about is where the most damage will come from.

Put the records between cardboard. Put a bag around it (like plastic grocery bag). Put a rubber band around that. Then put it in the bubble mailer. Cut the unused portion. Keep it tight. Should arrive fine. Just put fragile. Also, add $50 insurance. I don't know what Canadian Post is like but $50 insurance is pretty cheap.

Also, as someone inquired early, if these are expensive records, I wouldn't even risk it.

Cut the bubble mailer or fold it under. Make the package fit with as little movable space as possible. Besides the postal service just throwing it or putting something heavy on top and crushing it. Space for the records to move about is where the most damage will come from.

Put the records between cardboard. Put a bag around it (like plastic grocery bag). Put a rubber band around that. Then put it in the bubble mailer. Cut the unused portion. Keep it tight. Should arrive fine. Just put fragile. Also, add $50 insurance. I don't know what Canadian Post is like but $50 insurance is pretty cheap in the USA.

Also, as someone inquired early, if these are expensive records, I wouldn't even risk it.

They aren't "expensive records", but they're mostly new. Not dollar bin stuff. It would be a bummer if things happened to them. I'd totally up him to the $23 shipping, but I don't really have that to spend on it. And I'm positive he doesn't want to spend that. It's only 3 records and 2 7", so imo it's kind of ridiculous.

The bag / rubber band is a pretty good idea. If I have to ship in the bubble mailer, I'll make sure to do that. Fragile will be all over the mailer, and $100 insurance is included with "small packet surface" and "small packet air", so I'm good there.

I MAY sleep with someone at the post office though, will keep you guys updated on that.

I got a record in a 'cushion mailer' yesterday and it's beat to shit. I don't want to say anything more until the buyer responds to my request for a refund. I also bought another record from them an hour before the destroyed one came in. I hope it arrives in proper packaging. What you and your friend decide to do is obvs up to you guys...but if I buy a record...even a worthless one...it's worth something to me or I wouldn't buy it. I hope I never see a cushion mailer envelope again.

Also...who the hell puts the dust sleeve and the vinyl in the jacket but takes the vinyl out of the dust sleeve? And who doesn't put a polybag over the jacket? Sorry. I'm frustrated. I'd say use the better mailer and fib a little on the Internet to bring the shipping cost down.

Wow, thanks man. Didn't realize I could do it all online. But it's kinda looking like anything from 0.6kg to .9kg is all $12.41 for me. I don't think I could get away with listing them as 0.5. Or are you suggesting that I could use my cardboard mailer?

But this will definitely be super useful in the future, had no idea!

you're welcome!

i just recently shipped two packages that contained 2 lps, 4-6 cassettes and stickers. listed them at .5 and they got to their destinations in 4 days. in cardboard mailers too. i think it's worth the risk, but maybe you won't? $12 sucks, but, it's still cheaper than going to a canada post outlet.

I would suggest you put FRAGILE on each side so hopefully someone might not throw it.

Put tape on every corner and side so it's stiff if you use the bubble envellope approach.

If you go with a regular mailer:

I would let go of the excess cardboard of whatever stuff you might put in it to go below the magic 1Kg. I did that to a package last week and I got 980 grams. A piece of 12"x12" cardboard is about 50 grams. A record jacket is about 60~65 grams. I tought that a normal old record jacket would be nice but it actually weighted more!

Finally, Canada post does cost a lot!

Cushion mailers are garbage for sure. It's essentially an envelope insulated with a quarter-half inch of what seem to be paper shreds. The record I got in a cushion mailer had no less than eight creases and the cushion mailer itself got ripped. I'm also still floored by the lack of a plastic sleeve and having the vinyl outside of the dust sleeve. I've been told I'll get a refund and have offered to mail the dude a record mailer to send the other record I purchased. I'm six records away from a complete AJJ collection (over 50 different pieces). I don't want anymore of them coming in messed up.

But the guy was cool about the refund (or says he'll be). So I guess it's not so bad.