Hidden Grooves, Locked Grooves, Backwards Tracks..

so i finally got around to picking up a copy of Tool's Opiate, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the secret song on the cd is a hidden groove on side b track 1, and ends on a locked groove. but the other track on B1 plays through the locked groove and onto a track after it.

i have a dillinger escape plan 7" that does this too, and also contains a backwards track on B2 where you actually have to put the needle by the label, and it kinda sucks the needle backwards through the record.

anyone else have any cool stories about these?

really makes you appreciate the technology that is the vinyl record.

the locked groove on Portugal The Man's "Censored Colors" scared the shit out of me the first time I listened to it. "turn me oooooooooover, turn me oooooooooover" in a creepy voice.

might buy this just for this.

the saddest landscape threw some movie / tv show quotes in the run-off grooves of some of their earlier records.

there is a great web site for documenting run off groove quotes.

http://www.vinylremarks.com/

i've made several contributions to it myself.

my old sony record player would often get "locked" in a groove... best instances were

1) the Lawrence Arms "Greatest Story..." during the laughing part between Hesitation Station and the Revisionist. even the record was laughing about my crappy player!!

2) Bad Religion's s/t 7", in what I think is the song "Bad Religion", when there's the little bit of drums and guitar and then Greg shouts "Fight!"

in both instances, I literally listened to and recorded the record for at least 30 seconds before realizing what was happening... "how long are those kids gonna laugh for?" and "geez, he really wants to fight..."

and yes, I realize this isn't what the thread is about, but oh well, it's fun to listen to

[do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight!

[do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! [do-do do do do] fight! ...

so i finally got around to picking up a copy of Tool's Opiate, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the secret song on the cd is a hidden groove on side b track 1, and ends on a locked groove. but the other track on B1 plays through the locked groove and onto a track after it.

i have a dillinger escape plan 7" that does this too, and also contains a backwards track on B2 where you actually have to put the needle by the label, and it kinda sucks the needle backwards through the record.

What Dillinger record is that?

the Dillinger record with the locked groove and reversed groove is Cursed, Unshaven and Misbehavin': Live Infinity

RECORDS WITH LOCKED GROOVES

Stereolab - Ping Pong (the b-side Moogie Wonderland has a locked groove)

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music (side 4 repeats infinitely)

Blur - The Great Escape (locked groove at the end of Yuko and Hiro)

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (locked groove at the end of Fight for Your Right)

Slayer - Reign in Blood (locked groove at the end of Raining Blood)

RECORDS WHERE THE GROOVE PLAYS OUTWARD

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World (side 3 plays outward)

School of Fish - Wrong (plays outward - the "wrong" way, geddit?)

RECORDS WITH DOUBLE-GROOVES

Fucked Up - Looking for Gold

Fucked Up - Year of the Dog

The Shins - Phantom Limb (b-side has 2 songs)

What Dillinger record is that?

it's a live 4 song EP called "cursed, unshaven, and misbehavin'"

edit: someone above beat me to it.

but yeah, it even comes with a little slip of paper warning the owner that it might not work on their turntable.

A Wilhelm Scream "A Wilhelm Scream" 12", the B-side plays from the label out.

Zombie Apocalypse "This Is A Spark Of Life" 7" also plays from the label out. My turntables arm auto-returns and for this 7" I can't play the first song on either side because it starts to close to the label and the arm just goes back.

Less Than Jake's Slayer 7" plays from the inside out, right?

the secret track at the end of AFI's Black Sails In The Sunset is behind a locked groove, i think i had my needle stuck in that thing for about 2 hours once before i noticed.

also the end of every disc in the Francis The Mute 3xLP is a locked groove with some rad riff or drum beat thats looped, it helps make up for the fact that some of the songs are cut off by the end of one side, and continue on the next side.