I'm not sure how to feel about this... (C&C RSD)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bus I needed to take was late, which was good, but I had no idea that it would stop at every single fucking stop, and 30 people would slowly get on while only a handful got off. Big thanks to my mom for being on the phone with me so I could vent to her instead of stabbing someone with my keys.

I'm picturing a spoiled egocentric bitch on the phone with her mother whining about the inconvenience of the existence of other people. Can't wait til this girl has to deal with some real world issues.

WHY?

Because she's not buying it with the sole desire to make a massive profit off of someone who had the misfortune of not being able to make it to a record store on RSD. She's also not artificially inflating the market value of the item. I don't care about flippers either, but this and flipping are completely different. She paid retail price for an item she obviously holds near and dear. A flipper buys something with the sole intent to fleece someone who will hold that item near and dear.

you are 100% correct. there's really no debate left after this explanation. +1

If you actually think I've read anything else besides that post, which I stumbled upon thanks to google, than you'll be disappointed.

http://tinyurl.com/3rbtk4c

c'mon dude who are you kidding. VC came up and the first page, didn't go past that, but I didn't she her blog.

If you actually think I've read anything else besides that post, which I stumbled upon thanks to google, than you'll be disappointed.

http://tinyurl.com/3rbtk4c

c'mon dude who are you kidding. VC came up and the first page, didn't go past that, but I didn't she her blog.

Pretty sure the dude stumbled upon it thanks to Dine Alone or C&C's twitter. I saw this last week when they retweeted her blog entry.

She comes across as really annoying. Especially when she's going on about the flippers yet she bought 2 of them.

Buy 1 copy and do whatever the fuck you want with it, but if you're buying 2 I start to care. That's one less copy someone could play or at least appreciate.

So, you are just arguing that the value Tracy-Lee gets out of the record as art/souvenir is greater (or more important/righteous/respectable) than the value the flippers are getting out of the money they make. Both parties put in effort, and both parties got lucky.

As I said before, at least with the flipper it is more likely that someone who will listen to the record will end up with it (since we know Tracy-Lee and Brenny won't be listening to it).

To be sure Tracy-Lee is making a massive profit off of someone who had the misfortune of not being able to make it a record shop that received Sometimes. She got it (2 copies actually, 1 for Brenny), and the unlucky hunters didn't. You just don't like that the profits she made were intangible and the profits the flippers make is monetary.

The actual value is exactly the same, but in the flipping universe the final recipient of the album is certainly its highest value user (or they wouldn't have paid the "inflated price," which is just a premium for the risk of maybe not getting a copy of the album at all and the real market value of the record).

I completely understand the visceral annoyance at flippers. I also understand the visceral annoyance at Tracy-Lee (and her bouncing boobs).

If anything, you should be mad at Dine Alone for intentionally pressing so few of these albums that they would instantly be rare (or pricing them too low if you want to look at it that way). That decision is what allowed for the excess profits (which means that they were foregone by Dine Alone, Dallas, and the record shops that RSD is supposed to benefit).

1. You can't compare the sentimental/intangible value of a record to the value of money in this instance. It's apples and oranges and does not apply.

You can and should compare those values. There is no difference between the sentimental value Tracy Lee gets and whatever value the flipper gets from the money.

Maybe they are using it to buy a puppy. More to the point, maybe they can then use that money to buy a record that has enormous sentimental value to them (and one for their Brenny).

In any case, we know (with a relatively high level of certainty) the minimum monetary value that Tracy Lee (or anyone else who got a copy of the record) has. It's the price people are paying on Ebay. Otherwise, they would be flipping the record themselves (as you point out in point 4).

The value is certainly not arbitrary, and in the real world its very easy to compare apples and oranges as far as their relative value goes (your local grocer has those numbers on display).

2. You're saying that all of those people who paid/pay top-dollar for flipped Blink-182 and Gaslight Anthem records will listen to them. I highly doubt that.

No, I said they are more likely to listen, which is certainly true because we know Tracy Lee absolutely won't be listening.

And for the record, I don't care why people buy record either. I was just responding to one of the emotional responses that most vinylphiles have.

3. Again, you're comparing emotional value to monetary value. There can be no actual comparison. Any dollar amount you could assign to emotional value would be completely arbitrary. And you're also assuming that those two copies that this girl purchased would 100 percent go to someone who would listen to them.

I have addressed both of these points in 1 and 2 (and in my earlier posts).

4. Again, you're assuming that anyone who pays flipper/ebay prices on a current flavor of the month record is going to actually listen to it. I personally feel that is an incorrect assumption. If this girl didn't get these at the record store, I bet she would pay a massive amount on ebay, but she would still lack a turntable.

See my answer to point 2.

5. I am not annoyed by flippers. Nor am I annoyed by this girl. But they are not the same thing. But I would say that what this girl did is the lesser of two evils, if we have to call them that.

I have addressed this in my earlier posts. I don't really care one way or the other, and it very well may be that there is no difference between the two (it's certainly not true that Tracy Lee is the lesser of two evils).

There may be no difference because Tracy Lee (and Brenny) may very well be the highest value owners of the record, and they would have bought copies at a real market price (whether the current high price, or the almost certainly lower prices once the normal pressing is out). If that is true, then we know that they should have the records, and it doesn't matter that they get to keep the surplus.

However, if they wouldn't be willing to pay the market price, they aren't the highest value user (which does include the costs associated with flat-footedly running around town and the related boob-bouncing discomfort). The people who purchase from the flippers CERTAINLY are the highest value user.

6. I'm not mad at Dine Alone either. I like limited vinyl. By your argument, people should be pissed at the band for writing and recording a record that a label took and did a limited run of. You can get further removed and blame the band members' parents for conceiving them and raising the people who would later write and record an album that would eventually have a limited run. (I'm being a wise-ass here, but you get the picture).

The easiest response to this sort of line drawing is that Dallas, his parents, and whatever creature that crawled from the primordial soup 500 million years ago. At the time of their involvement in the chain, there would be no idea for them to foresee the limited pressing.

This really isn't a concern for you if you don't care about flipping or the Tracy Lees of the world.

In a way, I just wanted to point out that it is silly for the band or label to make something so rare and sell it so cheaply because they are leaving value on the table (and the Tracy Lees, flippers, or any of us who are lucky enough to grab a copy at this under market price are sweeping it up. That money could easily go to the artists, and (if you believe in copyright) that could increase their incentive to create the music in the first place.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't think your argument is correct, and you don't think mine is, and neither of us is going to change the others' mind. And, really, I don't understand why I'm arguing something I couldn't care less about. I never heard of this band before this thread and I've never heard one second of their music. Maybe if I had I'd have a different response.

EDIT: Who is Dallas?

i mean is this any different than buying six variants of record just to never listen to and keep on a shelf

exactly. who cares. I bet owning this will seduce her into buying a record player. She'll be posting here in a few months. Hope she never finds this stupid thread. Why no criticism against people who buy all the 1/50 variants, etc, here?

She wanted something and she ran out, boobs bouncing, and bought it. Nothing wrong with that and it does not compare to flipping.

Wanting to get all four copies though: not cool. And the fact that she wanted to get the third copy for her friend's baby really makes me wonder who the fourth copy was for.

Also, she sure swears a lot for a girl that needs phone support from her mom to get through a bus ride.

You got beat by a girl who runs flat footed.

Lol.

What the hell is with this blatant sexism?

Why no criticism against people who buy all the 1/50 variants, etc, here?

i guess you don't read most of the threads created here?

Bingo. Most have no relevance to me because of my limited tastes in music.

I just check out the "post a picture of your collection thread" and the "post a picture of your storage area thread" threads and a few threads related to the few releases I'm in interested in.