Vinyl finds at Garage Sales

How often do you go vinyl hunting at garage sales and do you ever get lucky? I've heard a lot of people getting some nice finds but I just never end up with such luck.

I've heard quite a few stories about amazing finds but I'm in the same boat as you...it's never happened to me. Then again, I very rarely hit up garage sales since I work on Saturdays. I need to start looking around on Sundays to see what I may find. In the past, all I've found is warped Moody Blues and ELP stuff. I like both bands but I don't like warped records.

Out of every 100 times I go to garage sales and regular flea markets I find punk maybe 4 times. I have had some amazing scores on rare pre 70's jazz and rare soul. I figure it will be maybe 10 to 20 more years before more punk stuff starts regularly showing up.

Most of the time these trips are a waste of time. You just have to enjoy getting up early and the very slim possibility that you might find something. The golden rule is, get there early or just stay in bed. I've been staying in bed lately.

Three best related finds:

Junk Shop in Jersey City, NJ:

Secret Hate "Vegetables Dancing" lp

N.O.T.A. s/t on Rabid Cat

Salvation Army in Gainesville (All at once and given to me for free):

Richard Hell & The Voidoids "Blank Generation"

Gang of Four "Entertainment"

Television "Marquee Moon"

Talking Heads '77

Billy Bragg 2xlp

Billy Bragg "Between the Wars" 7"

The Jam"This is the Modern World"

- a few others - this was 1996/97 and the first time I'd heard Richard Hell or Billy Bragg.

Friends of the Library sale, Gainesville:

Connecticut Fun Comp

Not many such finds in 16 years of looking but I'll take these over the many copies of Huey Lewis & The News' "Sports" I seem to find at every shop/garage sale I've ever been to.

Guess it depends what you're looking for. Since I like Punk/Hardcore I'll go to a used record store before I go to a garage sale.

Same. Some of the classic rock albums I have came from yard/garage sales but nothing too special. Yard sales are the reason why I have a bunch of albums I don't really want haha (I didn't purchase them myself but a friend got like 400 albums for $25 and gave to me. Not complaining).

I did 40 garage sales a few weeks back and got home empty handed. The few that had records sold them early in the morning. Someone in my neighborhood is also after records! :x

this sounds very similar to my situation. I didn't do as may as 40 but quite a few. Saw a lot of receivers and old turntables but no records.

Three best related finds:

Junk Shop in Jersey City, NJ:

Secret Hate "Vegetables Dancing" lp

N.O.T.A. s/t on Rabid Cat

Salvation Army in Gainesville (All at once and given to me for free):

Richard Hell & The Voidoids "Blank Generation"

Gang of Four "Entertainment"

Television "Marquee Moon"

Talking Heads '77

Billy Bragg 2xlp

Billy Bragg "Between the Wars" 7"

The Jam"This is the Modern World"

- a few others - this was 1996/97 and the first time I'd heard Richard Hell or Billy Bragg.

Friends of the Library sale, Gainesville:

Connecticut Fun Comp

Not many such finds in 16 years of looking but I'll take these over the many copies of Huey Lewis & The News' "Sports" I seem to find at every shop/garage sale I've ever been to.

Those are some great steals. Reminds of a technician that always fixes stuff in our house. He saw my record player and all my records and was shock people still listened to records. Ended up giving me all his records. Unbelievable nice guy.

My best garage sale find...actually an estate sale find in San Antonio. There was a crate of records out in the garage, the typical bad condition garage sale fare (Herb Alpert, Joni Mitchell, etc.). There was one 7" in the box, "new strings for old puppets" by Really Red. I hadn't heard them, but I knew they were a mid-80's TX punk band. It had a tag of 75 cents on it, but I had no money on me. Not even sure why I was walking through there with no money. I ended up hiding it inside a really beat-up Neil Young record that I knew nobody would want so I could go get a few quarters. Got home and checked on popsike, it's sold for as much as $130!

That was my steal, my dad sells records online and in an antique store booth, so he is constantly coming up with good stuff at garage sales and flea markets. He usually gives me first dibs on anything he things I might like, which has included early punk stuff and good 90's rock. Most recently he found a copy of "no code" by Pearl Jam with all the inserts...only $1.00.

Actually I just realized I had myspace posted 4 years ago about a garage sale score I had. Picked up all this at one house in San Antonio...it was an awesome day.

Black Flag - Damaged (1981, SST / Unicorn Records, blue label, first pressing)

Minor Threat - Out Of Step (Dischord Records, fourth pressing, with poster/lyric sheet)

Husker Du - New Day Rising (1985, SST Records, with lyric sheet sleeve)

Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs And Stories (1987, Warner Bros. Records, 2xLP with lyric sheet sleeves)

Operation Ivy - Energy (1989, Lookout Records, with lyric sheet insert)

Minutemen - The Punch Line (1981, SST Records, reissue)

Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today (1989, Revelation Records, 2nd press with poster/lyric sheet)

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (1977, Warner Bros. Records, early US press)

The Clash - The Clash (1979, Epic Records, first US press, includes Groovy Times / Gates of the West promo 7")

The Clash - London Calling (1979, Epic Records, 2xLP with lyric sheet sleeves)

Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's Heroes (1980, Chrysalis Records, US pressing, promo copy)

Adolescents - Adolescents (1981, Frontier Records)

Ramones - End Of The Century (1980, Sire Records, Portuguese pressing with original poster/lyric sheet)

Pixies - Surfer Rosa (1988, 4AD Records, UK pressing)

Minuteflag - Minuteflag EP (1985, SST Records, sealed copy of Minutemen / Black Flag collaboration)

BB King - Mr. Blues (1963, ABC Records)

Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin' Strikes (1972, Tradition Records)

Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (1969, Columbia Records)

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (1968, Columbia Records)

Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire - The Best Of (1963, Columbia Records)

Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis Sing Hank Williams (1971 Sun Records, promo copy)

I have found most of my good stuff from garage sales and people looking to unload records on Craig's List.

Some things off the top:

Bathory - "Bathory" (US press, so not as valuable, and it's scratched, but I can still get $40 for it)

Bright Eyes - "There Is No Beginning" (Sold for $40, which I still had this)

Chet Baker – “Chet Baker in Europe” (Rare Pacific Jazz mono; got free, can get $50-75 for it)

Celtic Frost - "Emperor's Return"

Kid Dynamite - "S/T" (Paid $2.50, sold for $45)

Lifetime - "Hello Bastards" (1st press/purple; paid a $2, got $50 for it, which I still had it, though)

Mothers of Invention - "Freak Out"

Owls - "S/T" (Paid $2.50, sold for $40)

Sodom - "Obsessed by Cruelty" (Original Metal Blade)

Cecil Taylor – “Looking Ahead” (Contemporary Original Mono Issue -RARE! - $75 record)

And the best thing:

Beach Boys - "Smiley Smile" Promo LP (Bought it for $1, sold it for $135 at a record show)

I did have a kid and have to unload a lot of stuff for money.