Warped Vinyl During Shipping Due To Heat?

I am new to collecting vinyl and have a serious question/concern. I live in Phoenix where it is hot as hell here in the summer. It easily tops 110 degrees and is even worse in a car (or a delivery / mail truck, I imagine). I am worried that if I have anything shipped to me during the summer that the vinyl will get seriously warped or ruined somehow because of the heat. I live in an apartment complex so anything that arrives when I am gone stays in an office as opposed to my doorstep. Should I hold off on buying anything until it cools down? If I do that I will miss out on pre orders and other purchases for a few months. What should I do? Does anyone have any experience with this? I appreciate the responses.

Whenever I ship anything and generate the postage online there is always the option for "hold at post office for pick up". I think that would be the best option if they are using USPS. It shouldn't cost more to do that either. At least you know the records are "safe" and out of the sun.

Yes, it does happen. I wouldn't worry about them so much during transit but watch out for the motherfuckin' USPS! Last summer was the worst for me as the mailman would throw my LP's on the porch while I was asleep or not home as if the word "FRAGILE" or "VINYL RECORD" meant nothing, which they would stay out in the sunlight for hours until I found them. He would also cram my 7"s in my mailbox really tight to the point where they obviously didn't fit and the suns heat would warp them like crazy. I'll never forget the day he stuffed my HWM LP in my fucking car with the windows up in 100 degree weather. True story. So get tracking numbers when possible and know when they will be arriving.

Thanks for the info. I have not had any problems yet. Except for the occasional 7" crammed in the box. Have any of you ever tried to contact the distributer or label for a warped vinyl?

On some occasions they do arrive warped and even scratched from the press factory. It just happens. I've never contacted a distro or label about it but I have on records won from Ebay that I know was not warped or damaged by the postal service. Use your own judgement and ask around to other people who made the same order/pre-order.

Yes, it does happen. I wouldn't worry about them so much during transit but watch out for the motherfuckin' USPS! Last summer was the worst for me as the mailman would throw my LP's on the porch while I was asleep or not home as if the word "FRAGILE" or "VINYL RECORD" meant nothing, which they would stay out in the sunlight for hours until I found them. He would also cram my 7"s in my mailbox really tight to the point where they obviously didn't fit and the suns heat would warp them like crazy. I'll never forget the day he stuffed my HWM LP in my fucking car with the windows up in 100 degree weather. True story. So get tracking numbers when possible and know when they will be arriving.

How did he get in your car?

How did he get in your car?

Well I leave my doors unlocked most of the time, I'm not really paranoid about people breaking in since I have nothing valuable. I don't know why he threw it in there, but it cooked the shit out of that record.

I've never had issues with warping and I live in Vegas where it gets almost as hot as Phoenix. I think you'll be good. Just let it cool down before handling it though, if it's still warm from the sun and you take it out of the sleeve it's possible for it to warp. Happened to me two summers ago when I brought a record home in my car.