NIN: PHM Differences?

There's a copy (haven't checked in maybe a week) at my local store on picture disc that's been tempting. The double vinyl remaster should have been four-sided. Also, no one needs that cover.

I've become against bonus tracks on albums because I want the album to be exactly what it is. Bonus tracks can go on a separate disc.

Here's what I know about PHM vinyl. The 2010 repress is a double LP and has the "Get Down, Make Love" bonus track. It sounds incredible. The remaster was handled by Trent himself and, in my opinion, the work he's done on it really helps the album fit with the rest of the NIN catalog in terms of overall sound. Some may complain that it's brickwalled/mastered too loud, etc. But listen to the rest of his albums. It's glitchy gritty industrial music. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE MASTERED HOT. At least it works for me.

I haven't heard the original master on vinyl, but I do have an original press on CD which is sourced from the same master. It's pretty thin sounding and lifeless by comparison to the 2010 version. And I grew up listening to the original version. It feels very "dated." I, for one, am glad to have the remaster because I generally avoid listening to PHM and I can finally enjoy it.

All this said, there's a single LP repress with the original artwork/master coming out soon if you're in to that sort of thing. I wouldn't go trying to find an original or a 2005 version.

yes, with the separate 7"

wait, when did that happen,

From what I understood the original pressing of Broken had the 7" of Physical and Suck. and all represses after had everything one LP.

There were also pressings of Broken and Fixed that came with slipmats. I remember when they came out and always regretted not picking them up.

From TR's twitter:

NIN fans, don't waste your money on this version of PHM that was just released:

... a record label bullshit move repackaging the old version. Ignore please.

To be unbiased... his post is biased ;)

TR (obviously) full endorses the remaster from last year, AND, being that he was involved in the release, he see profits from it's sales (in fact, at this point, the 2010 remaster is the ONLY pressing of PHM he sees profits from) so obviously he is going to push the one he makes money off of

however, when he was on labels, he vetoed many releases (singles, represses, remixes, etc) he thought where a shitty money grab, so he's not out there to steal your money, he only releases what (he thinks) is quality.

that being said, if you want the old master for some reason, I'd buy this new re-pressing, it's the cheapest one you'll find.

From TR's twitter:

TR (obviously) full endorses the remaster from last year, AND, being that he was involved in the release, he see profits from it's sales (in fact, at this point, the 2010 remaster is the ONLY pressing of PHM he sees profits from) so obviously he is going to push the one he makes money off of

however, when he was on labels, he vetoed many releases (singles, represses, remixes, etc) he thought where a shitty money grab, so he's not out there to steal your money, he only releases what (he thinks) is quality.

that being said, if you want the old master for some reason, I'd buy this new re-pressing, it's the cheapest one you'll find.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

• 4 weeks later...
From TR's twitter:

I heard an NPR piece not to long ago where they interviewed him and he said this reissue was bullshit but it as out of his hands. I'd probably be safe and skip it.

Okay, so since it was only 11.99 @ Hot Topic, I bought the repress of the original. The completist in me couldn't help it. I never got it back in the day before prices inflated on used copies.

I A/B'd the 2010 and the original sound repress last night, using "Head Like A Hole" and while the original version sounds like an old friend since I've heard it hundreds (if not thousands) of times, I really do like the sound of the 2010. Probably better. It just has much more bottom end and "punch" than the old version.

Of course there are those that *hate* the new version, claiming it has no dynamics, brickwalled, etc...which I can understand on the CD/MP3 release, but with those tendancies tempered by the quieter by nature vinyl, I think it sounds great.

So the old version probably won't get much listen, but I just thought it would be cool to have it for so cheap, being a huge NIN fan and all...

• 3 weeks later...