record gets warped through mail, who's at fault?

I sold a record off ebay, twas basically brand new, only opened to check colour. Sent it out and all that jizz, but he basically said it's warped and asked what I could do?

I'm not sure what to do...

am i supposed to give this guy a refund?

I don't want to, but I don't want that negative feedback and I wanna be an honest seller so I was gonna just have him ship it back to me and I'd check it out, but it sucks cuz I know it was totally brand new and probably just got fucked up in the mail :(

what to do?

TECHNICALLY, i don't think anyone who can be faulted is at fault. if it left you one way, and got to the dude another way, something had to happen in between. unfortunately for him, i don't think you HAVE to do anything about it, unless you have a return policy to uphold. any negative feedback can likely be disputed. anything you do above and beyond nothing is really just a favor to the buyer. was it a wild bid, like really expensive?

...and all that jizz

I had this happen recently and I refunded 50% of the cost of the record pre-shipping. In hindsight, I should have asked for a pic to confirm he wasn't just ripping me off. I think if you get a pic and it is obviously warped, you should work something out with the buyer, be it a partial refund or the buyer returns the record for a total refund. I'd rather lose out on one record and keep a potential buyer (and network of buyers) then lose all that over a warped record.

...and all that jizz

I had this happen recently and I refunded 50% of the cost of the record pre-shipping. In hindsight, I should have asked for a pic to confirm he wasn't just ripping me off. I think if you get a pic and it is obviously warped, you should work something out with the buyer.

this is fair.

TECHNICALLY, i don't think anyone who can be faulted is at fault. if it left you one way, and got to the dude another way, something had to happen in between. unfortunately for him, i don't think you HAVE to do anything about it, unless you have a return policy to uphold. any negative feedback can likely be disputed. anything you do above and beyond nothing is really just a favor to the buyer. was it a wild bid, like really expensive?

So wrong. All the buyer has to do is open an "item received not as described" claim and they could win the entire value back. Have him take a picture, if it isn't warped he won't send a picture and will back down. Also did you use delivery confirmation?

I don't think it's anyone's fault as was already stated. You sent it out w/o any flaws and it was received warped. It's the risk of sending out records especially right now when it's miserably hot out. All it takes is for the package to be left at your front door where it's not shaded and hot as balls, and sure enough the record may warp.

Consider a different situation...you send the record in perfect shape and well-packaged...it arrives at its destination but unfortunately it was left at the front door and it was storming and thusly the packaged got soaked and the contents ruined. Whose fault is it? Not the sender's that's for damn sure. A bit extreme example sure.

At the end of the day it's your call. You do what you feel may be right for your "customer".

I don't think it's anyone's fault as was already stated. You sent it out w/o any flaws and it was received warped. It's the risk of sending out records especially right now when it's miserably hot out. All it takes is for the package to be left at your front door where it's not shaded and hot as balls, and sure enough the record may warp.

Consider a different situation...you send the record in perfect shape and well-packaged...it arrives at its destination but unfortunately it was left at the front door and it was storming and thusly the packaged got soaked and the contents ruined. Who's fault is it? Not the sender's that's for damn sure. A bit extreme example sure.

At the end of the day it's your call. You do what you feel may be right for your "customer".

That actually happened to me. Twas a brand new devil and god too. Shit sucks. I didn't call the dude though, it's not his fault weather here sucks.

All it takes is for the package to be left at your front door where it's not shaded and hot as balls, and sure enough the record may warp.

This has happened to me several times. Triple digits in Sacramento, and the postman leaves the records between the glass screen door and the black door.

This is why I have all my stuff sent to my work. At least its air conditioned all day there.

Oh yeah...people tend to forget that most warped records can be unwarped...just gotta put the time and effort into it.

yeah i was looking at an old thread that unwarped records... which is why i was thinking about just having him send it back to me and i'd give him refund, but i don't think i have the time right now to go through all that

twas not expensive. $15 record.

This was his message, "Hey man. Just received the vinyl; however, it is unplayable. It is warped on the right side. Any ideas as to what to do? Do you have an extra and we could swap? Sorry for the bad news."

how does a circle have a right side?

i think he meant as opposed to the wrong side.

All it takes is for the package to be left at your front door where it's not shaded and hot as balls, and sure enough the record may warp.

This has happened to me several times. Triple digits in Sacramento, and the postman leaves the records between the glass screen door and the black door.

This is why I have all my stuff sent to my work. At least its air conditioned all day there.

This is why I refuse to live off campus/apartments, I know all my mail is delivered into the mail room (USPS) and to the counter inside (FedEx, UPS.)

i got his pics, vinyl was pretty fucked up. lemme know if this is a fair ultimatum... I told him to choose 1 of 3 options

1) i have the same record, but it's in black, and I can ship that over but I'd still like the blue vinyl shipped back to me

2) you can ship me the record and i'll give you a full refund minus shipping

3) you don't ship me anything, i don't ship you anything, i'll paypal you $10 ($$$ came out to 16.50 with shipping)

This is getting resolved, but I wanted to share that I have had people claim that they received warped records in the past and when I respond with "That sucks! Send me a pic of the damage and I'll toss another in the mail tomorrow!" I have only heard back from one buyer. Too often, I think people are honestly scamming for free records.

Secondly, if I offer media mail AND priority & they choose media mail during these hot summer months, I like to remind them that they chose the risky route.

Almost off topic: my mailman at my new house actually sets my records on the side of my porch that is in the shade, despite that it's away from the front door OR mailbox. He must be a collector!