London Riots

This shit is absolutely unreal. It's been going on for three nights now, started in north London (Tottenham) on saturday after a protest over a Police shooting got violent. It seems to have just sparked looting and riots everywhere last night and tonight. I've genuinely never seen anything like it, shops being broken in to and burned down, petrol bombs and rocks being thrown at police, it's all kids destroying their communities, their lack of regard for people and the area they live in is terrifying. At the moment the closest one is about a mile away and i'm in an area that's unlikely to be affected as badly as others but every shop or store has been closed and locked down since about 4pm. Unbelievable, hope any VC'ers in London are safe tonight.

Apparently PIAS warehouse was burnt down last night. They distribute for ~150 lables and they've lost all inventory.

Yeah all gone, a couple of my friends work for Hassle Records and all the physical copies of their records that aren't in shops have been burned.

They've almost tripled the number of police on the streets tonight and i hope it works, i genuinely feel sick thinking about sitting at home all night hoping nothing comes down my street.

Still alive! Worst my building got was a bunch of kids breaking in and stealing people's bikes on the ground floor. Got tonight to look forward to now!

Thats crazy man. People just looting and torching for the hell of it. Hope everyone will be OK.

Apparently PIAS warehouse was burnt down last night. They distribute for ~150 lables and they've lost all inventory.

That really sucks. Torching the place for no reason. Hope everyone is OK there too. Anyone know what labels they distribute for?

wwhhyyyyy is this happening?

wiki says it's because the police shot a drug dealer in a planned raid? that seems like far too little to incite people to this level of destruction. ...then again.

from what I gathered from NPR's story on this a few days ago, they unlawfully shot and killed the 29 year old guy, and where it went down is sort of a slummy area and some people tried to make it a race thing, and then kids mostly just got wild and violent and decided they wanted to riot for no real reason. They specifically said the family of the young man who was shot by the police did not stand behind the rioters and condemned them for using his name for the riots. Also according to NPR they're using social media to plan/organize these riots and looting sprees.

I dno't know much about the shooting but as far as i'm aware the trouble started when a peaceful protest was targeted by people wanting to cause trouble. That happened on saturday night and ever since there has been copycat stuff going on around the country and especially in London. Had 24 hour news on last night, literally every hour there was a new report that rioting had broken out in a new place, it's fucking insane! All the shops are boarded up in my area and there are a ton of police about, gonna head home and try not to watch the news at all because it just freaks me out.

wiki says it's because the police shot a drug dealer in a planned raid? that seems like far too little to incite people to this level of destruction. ...then again.

This shit blows my mind. In Fullerton where I live last month 6 police officers beat a homeless man to death in front of tons of witnesses and nothing happens.

Police in the UK shoot a drug dealer and all of London catches fire. I don't get it...

London is crazy. A girl I know is packing to go on vacation there tomorrow... sucks for her.

When I was there for a semester abroad in 2006, there was that Russian spy clusterfuck going on. Russian ex-KGB or whatever secret police agency was fleeing to Britain, and someone followed him around the city with this crazy poison. A section of Arsenal stadium was contaminated, many clubs and bars I had been to were contaminated, and the dude slowly whittled away in a hospital right by me near Russel Square / Holborn. He was convinced it was the Russian Government's fault.

/unrelated story.

This shit blows my mind. In Fullerton where I live last month 6 police officers beat a homeless man to death in front of tons of witnesses and nothing happens.

This one really pissed me off. Kelly was a pacifist and I can guarantee you, did not resist. Those assholes killed the only downtown person I ever enjoyed talking to. Now who will I share my Wahoo's and Big Slice with?

Police in the UK shoot a drug dealer and all of London catches fire. I don't get it...

i read about that! didn't the police officers involved just get put on desk duty or paid 'administrative leave' or something like that?

When the police shot Duggan, they also claimed he opened fire on them and shot an officer, which turned out to be bullshit, as the bullet that wounded the officer was police-issue. The family received no condolences from the police, perpetrated a BS story to justify shooting the man, and would not give them any more information. Yeah, he was a drug dealer which sucks, but he was still a person with a family who cared for him. The chief of police in that area also decided it was okay to go on vacation to Florida after the shooting, as it "wasn't a big deal." The original riot was all spurned by this, generally fucked up tense race relations, and I'm sure the nervousness over a grim economic future/high unemployment rate, but at this point, it's just a bunch of shitheads who want free iPads.

EDIT: Also, Alex, be safe dude. A good friend of mine is living in London for grad school now, so I've been worried for her. Do you think there is any forseeable end to this?