How long have you been collecting?

Just curious to hear everyone's story. I bring this up now because it's about 2 years since I bought my first piece of vinyl and I consider myself a pretty serious participant in this lifestyle / hobby. I'm now considering attempting a complete / almost complete New Found Glory variant collection. I know it's a long shot, but if it's a band that I would like to put my time / money into collecting, it's these guys. Also, I've been more open to now picking up multiple variants of a single album; an aspect in this whole 'vinyl' craze I once swore to stay away from. I always told myself, one variant was enough. But nonetheless, here I am, about to purchase all 3 variants of New Found Glory - Radiosurgery. Anyways, back to the original question, how long have you guys been collecting / buying vinyl?

Did you pick up the ISHC Test and Friend Press that just ended?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious to hear everyone's story. I bring this up now because it's about 2 years since I bought my first piece of vinyl and I consider myself a pretty serious participant in this lifestyle / hobby. I'm now considering attempting a complete / almost complete New Found Glory variant collection. I know it's a long shot, but if it's a band that I would like to put my time / money into collecting, it's these guys. Also, I've been more open to now picking up multiple variants of a single album; an aspect in this whole 'vinyl' craze I once swore to stay away from. I always told myself, one variant was enough. But nonetheless, here I am, about to purchase all 3 variants of New Found Glory - Radiosurgery. Anyways, back to the original question, how long have you guys been collecting / buying vinyl?

Did you pick up the ISHC Test and Friend Press that just ended?

What? I had no idea that happened. :/ was that on ebay or on the board?

To answer the question, about 10 years. It all started with the acquisition of my fathers classic rock collection (which was around 1000Lps). From there I just went insane spending way too much on variants (which i now hate haha). I've been unloading most of my collection to pay bills and all that fun stuff.

If you need anything NFG, let me know. I had a once complete collection (minus one 7inch that only one copy exists of), but have been selling pieces of it off. Take a look at my tradelist and let me know what you think. I'm not looking for ebay prices, just a good home for them.

Started collecting when I was 12 (I'll be 25 in October). I wandered into an indie record store (very gone now) while I was out with my family in North County San Diego. They were advertising a lot of punk, and I was just starting to get into Nirvana, Green Day and blink at that time.

My grandparents played vinyl constantly, so I knew the medium. But when I realized there was punk music on some of them, it blew my mind.

I picked up Lemmings by blink on yellow vinyl. I also picked up Foo Fighters "Big Me" single, because I'd realized that Dave Grohl was in Nirvana. Had to sell both of them recently to help fund the label, but I remember the moment very fondly.

Grew up on cassettes as a kid - Dad had some vinyl, but we were always busy/on-the-go so radio/cassettes were the ticket. Had a tiny vinyl collection of my own that the parents did something with whenever we moved one of the half-dozen times.

When I got my first CD player in 89, CDs became all I wanted. I bought them until last year, when I decided that digital was on-par enough with CD quality that I'd go that route for the convenience factor (still on-the-go a lot) and buy vinyl if I was in love with something so much I needed a physical copy of it (cooler medium, bigger artwork, etc.).

So, less than a year into vinyl seriously. 40 albums, including some cool deluxe editions and sets of albums I really enjoy. Loving it.

I've only been seriously collecting for about five years, but I started buying vinyl when I was 13 and started getting into punk rock. Before that, I used to listen to the records (most of which are now in my collection) my parents kept in the cabinet under the stereo in the living room. I still have no idea why they were ok with letting their 9 year old child listen to Cheech and Chong.

The first records I had were hand me downs. That was about '67.

Actually I think my parents gave me puff the magic dragon in '64 but it is hard to recall that far back, quite frankly...

I started buying my own records right around the 70's.

My older sisters were already teenage hippies by then so I had beaucoup hand me downs from their circle of friends. That included guitars, stereos and records. Damn i miss that. ;^/

I remember riding my bike over to Prof Erny's (music store that had records) and spending paper route money on records when i was a kid. The dollar bin would've given many of you a vinyl woody.

The first stereo i purchased new, was around '74.

I've never really been a collector, however. I'm a guitarist and a music lover

so it was never really about ebayisms to me. To each their own.

I will say this.... "collecting" has changed.

As a retailer of records I've noticed more of the "collectors" are merely ebayists without a turntable. There has always been value collectors, but these days it seems like there are far more.

My theory is all the "Antique Roadshows" on TV have turned many folks into instant pickers without the background knowledge.

:/

noobrant

As new to vinyl as I am, I'm already completely over those who keep harping "records are for PLAYING not COLLECTING, poseur!"

Understand something: not everyone simply buys/listens to punk rock 7" records they pick up for peanuts. Furthermore, people love the medium for different reasons. Sure we all love the warm sound, but then there are those enjoyed for the rarity, artwork, or to complete a collection in support of an artist they love. If someone wants to buy something, frame it, and only listen to the digital copy/CD, deal with it already.

Every sale, no matter the reason, is demand encouraging additional supply of vinyl. Everyone should be encouraging people to buy it for any reason whatsoever, and shutting up about WHY people buy records.

I'm sure the OP didn't intend for this thread to spiral into this subject, and I can only imagine the number of similar dead horses existing in threads below, but as someone relatively new to the hobby of vinyl (collecting, playing, looking at, smelling, enjoying more than CD), I felt the need to share.

Next time, instead of bitching at someone because they used the word collect, look at what they collected and recommend something else on vinyl they'd enjoy too.

/noobrant

Next time, instead of bitching at someone because they used the word collect, look at what they collected and recommend something else on vinyl they'd enjoy too.

Why would I recommend them something else on vinyl if they aren't going to listen to it?

/prorant

its been 2 years since i got serious about collecting again, and ive picked up a couple hundred in that time.

before that, it started when i was about 15 or 16 and my mom gave me her old collection of billy joel, boston, fleetwood mac, etc.

when i was 19 i started collecting, but i was completely naive and thought ebay was the only source of buying current vinyl. it was stupid, but its where i picked up some of my most important pieces.

Started in 2009 when I pre-ordered Axe to Fall. My Dad had/has (he's slimmed down a bit over the years, and I grabbed a few :P) a huge vinyl collection that I always admired, but it was always stored away and he never got them out to play them.

Listened to my first record, got hooked on the sound, decided to go out and try to collect a copy of all my favourite records. Here I am about 2 years later with about 200 more.