Tipping At Shows!

Wanted to post this on here. If you go to a show please tip your fucking Bartender you dont have to throw down a ton of cash per drink but if your going to wait at the bar for the bartender to bring your 25 cents back maybe you should hold off and drink at your home before you come out. Went to a local show tonight and on numerous occasions saw people wait for there change and not tip the bartender anything. Bothers me working as a server/bartender for the past 7 years. If they are rude and dont give a shit then dont bother but servers/ bartenders dont get paid shit besides what you tip them. This girl behind the bar was new and did a great job and was very friendly so i threw her extra cash each time i had a drink.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure you get a paycheck though am i right? bartenders/servers in south carolina get 2.13 maybe a little more an hour. Which they dont actually get the paycheck because it gets voided out by taxes and CC tips.

if I was working a job that paid $2.13/hour, I think I'd be looking for a new job, but whatever. that said, I hate the concept of required tipping--please just increase all costs 10% or so and use that to pay whoever you're screwing over. is it really that hard? I suppose the goal of tipping is to encourage people to try harder to "earn" the tip I feel obligated to pay, but that seems kinda childish/demeaning ("be nice and we'll give you a present! yay!")

anyways, I also don't drink, but usually I'll give a dollar at some point in the night for my free water refills (if I have enough)... oh, and sometimes I tip the person working at the merch table when it's someone in the band

i've been serving for years and NEVER made anywhere near $2.13 per hour.

my average hourly wage as a server has been $3.50ph+ tips.

my paychecks usually average around $50 to $100 every two weeks, depending on my hours.

my current job pays me $3.25ph.

also, never been a bartender tho, just a server.

bar tenders in clubs may get payed less because they get tipped more.

but in my experience, bartenders usually make more per hour than servers, plus they get all the bar/cocktail buisness, plus they get tipped out by their servers. (usually %10 of that servers total or drink sales)

Yeah, here in the UK minimum wage for 16 - 17 is equivalent to $5.67. 18 - 20 is $7.67. Older than 20 and it's more again.

$2.15 or even $3.50 is fucking bleak. How can you afford to live, buy records, do anything? I get a US equivalent of around $27.00 an hour, but even then with rent, bills, etc. I don't feel staggeringly rich by any means. The USA is a scary fucking place indeed.

I've always tipped a dollar a drink whenever I've been in the US, so I'll definitely continue that next time I'm out there.

Im sure you get a paycheck though am i right? bartenders/servers in south carolina get 2.13 maybe a little more an hour. Which they dont actually get the paycheck because it gets voided out by taxes and CC tips.

$2.13?!?!?! seriously? what's regular minimum wage there??

he doesn't make regular minimum wage. that depends on the state.

he is in making what a tipped worker would make in texas or indiana or wherever the state minimum wage requirement is that is on even par with the federal.

to all:

i work for tips so i always tip $1 or 2 for any drink i get, whether it be a beer, a mixed drink, or a soft drink. even free water. those dudes put up with some shitty ass people so why not make their day. i do the same for servers, pizza delivery guys, sandwich makers, etc etc. when you work in that kind of setting you tend to take care of your own.

standard for me is 30% to 40%. if i'm broke around 20%. i'm a nice guy. not to mention some of the perks are nice.

Yeah, here in the UK minimum wage for 16 - 17 is equivalent to $5.67. 18 - 20 is $7.67. Older than 20 and it's more again.

$2.15 or even $3.50 is fucking bleak. How can you afford to live, buy records, do anything? I get a US equivalent of around $27.00 an hour, but even then with rent, bills, etc. I don't feel staggeringly rich by any means. The USA is a scary fucking place indeed.

I've always tipped a dollar a drink whenever I've been in the US, so I'll definitely continue that next time I'm out there.

you'd be surprised on how much a good bartender can make. i know a few who rake in a little under $3k a month after taxes.

I can't believe businesses are allowed to pay that little!

Surely upping minimum wage would be far more benefial to everyone involved? I take it tips aren't taxed in any way and you don't have to declare anything? If the minimum wage is set so low because these people make loads on tips then the government is losing out on a ton of tax, surely?

Between this, private healthcare and no minumum paid holiday allowance you guys are in a fucking state.

well, aren't you just an amazing person!

why thank you, sweetie pie! <3

Surely upping minimum wage would be far more benefial to everyone involved? I take it tips aren't taxed in any way and you don't have to declare anything? If the minimum wage is set so low because these people make loads on tips then the government is losing out on a ton of tax, surely?

Between this, private healthcare and no minumum paid holiday allowance you guys are in a fucking state.

i believe that all their tips are taxed and they have to claim them all at tax time. however, having never worked in the serving industry, i'm not entirely sure.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6676391_federal-taxes-waitress-tips.html

I don't drink either, but if I ever manage to go to the bar to get whatever non-alcoholic drink I always throw down a tip anyway. Delivered pizzas for $5 an hour (off the books) before so I know what its like to depend on tips.

...and people seriously don't know how underpaid servers generally are? Not surprised its $2.15 or whatever in South Carolina but tips pay their bills. Don't be cheap people.

I don't drink either, but if I ever manage to go to the bar to get whatever non-alcoholic drink I always throw down a tip anyway. Delivered pizzas for $5 an hour (off the books) before so I know what its like to depend on tips.

...and people seriously don't know how underpaid servers generally are? Not surprised its $2.15 or whatever in South Carolina but tips pay their bills. Don't be cheap people.

It's a rather screwed up system. They are paid a small hourly rate but its intended to be supplemented by tips. Only problem with that theory is that not everyone tips the same amount or anything at all.

Honestly, I preferred the way tipping worked when I visited London and Paris back in March of this year. Anywhere I ate/drink already had a % tacked onto the bill that pretty did the tipping for you. Regardless I would still leave a little extra becuase that's just how I've been raised here in the states.

My standard tip is 20%. It goes down if the server sucks and goes up if they go above and beyond what I expect the norm to be.

It's a rather screwed up system. They are paid a small hourly rate but its intended to be supplemented by tips. Only problem with that theory is that not everyone tips the same amount or anything at all.

Honestly, I preferred the way tipping worked when I visited London and Paris back in March of this year. Anywhere I ate/drink already had a % tacked onto the bill that pretty did the tipping for you. Regardless I would still leave a little extra becuase that's just how I've been raised here in the states.

My standard tip is 20%. It goes down if the server sucks and goes up if they go above and beyond what I expect the norm to be.

My standard tip is 20%. It got down if the server sucks and goes up if they go above and beyond what I expect the norm to be.

this is more or less what i do.

almost unrelated: when i worked retail for $6 something an hour minimum wage back in high school, most people i knew who worked in the food industry made more money than i did. but i'm a klutzy space cadet and would have probably made a terrible server.

My standard tip is 20%. It got down if the server sucks and goes up if they go above and beyond what I expect the norm to be.

this is more or less what i do.

almost unrelated: when i worked retail for $6 something an hour minimum wage back in high school, most people i knew who worked in the food industry made more money than i did. but i'm a klutzy space cadet and would have probably made a terrible server.