Doghouse Records announces The Cassette Series

[image]

Doghouse Records, in conjunction with No Sleep Records and Run For Cover Records, is excited to announce The Cassette Series. The artists featured in this series will be La Dispute, Young Statues, and Kurt Travis, singer of A Lot Like Birds.

Here are the details for the series:

La Dispute's Wildlife (which just debuted at #135 on the Billboard Top 200) with over 3,000 albums sold.

Young Statues' self-titled full-length.

Kurt Travis. Solo release. This will be available at the end of 2011. You can check out some of Kurt's solo stuff here.

+ more coming soon!

The La Dispute and Young Statues cassette will be available on November 22nd. Both will be available for pre-order through MerchNow starting October 17th.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still struggling to understand the resurgence in cassettes. Especially cassettes of records that people already own. I'm being serious, can someone explain the appeal? Is it just another item to collect from a band you like? No sarcasm intended, let me in on your thoughts.

I was wondering the exact same thing but didnt make a post about it cause I didnt know how to word it without sounding like a dick haha. Im curious as well. I really dont understand.

I'm still struggling to understand the resurgence in cassettes. Especially cassettes of records that people already own. I'm being serious, can someone explain the appeal? Is it just another item to collect from a band you like? No sarcasm intended, let me in on your thoughts.

i just really like la dispute and thought it would be cool to have an extra piece of music by them. i think it's really all about the collecting thing. i only have a couple cassettes - just cheap ones i bought at shows. that's just me though. that, and my car only has a cassette player so i can use them when i drive.

there's not much money to be made off tapes, if you sell them for a reasonable price. I can't see selling a tape for more than fucking $5. Crazy!

I honestly put them out/collect them because I think they are beautiful looking. Something about how concise the packaging is. They don't sound bad if you have a good tape deck I swear!

*also, here's a couple of examples as to why tapes get bad rep. the Man Overboard Real Talk tape and the Tigers Jaw Spirit Desire tape were self dubbed, which while they are more "DIY" and very cool, the sound quality really drops off. I use chrome pro-tape in the cassettes I use and I honestly think they sound very strong/punchy.

old tape deck + poorly dubbed tape = not enjoyable

I typically only get tapes of things that aren't available on vinyl, or at least weren't available when I bought them. i.e. Iron Chic demo, Spraynard demo, Detournement/New Dress split, Ramshackle Glory tape, Stressface demo, True North demo.

I have been guilty though of buying a few tapes of things that I do also have on vinyl, for the purpose of collecting (HWM/Bouncing Souls being really the only example of that).

I've also bought tapes because they were cheaper than the vinyl (Austin Lucas Common Cold cassette I bought for much less than I could find the vinyl).

I enjoy tapes, especially compilations on tape - the Dead Broke Rekerds mix tapes are always solid, and Evil Weevil did a nice mixtape earlier this year too.