best 'lavishly packaged 2011 releases' thread

cardiac

does what it says on the tin! it's 'holiday season' and i suspect more than a few of us have friends who would appreciate truly badass records, so please share your pics for this year's most awesome / absurd packaging. bonus points if they're still available, since that's half the point.

my selection:

Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm 'deluxe' version [Hells Headbangers]

[image]

your turn!!

Acdc - backtracks(vinyl deluxe version)

It's comes packaged in a replica Marshall stack, that actually works. Sure it's only 1/2 or 1 watt. But never again will anything like it ever happen again.

Also comes with an awesome 196pg photo book of 'rare' photos from throughout their career. The vinyl is pressed on 180gr, has 2 live DVDs, 3 CDs full of 'rare' stuff, a reprint of an old poster, some stickers, buttons.

But the coolest thing about it all. It comes with a temporary tattoo. The parrot that bon Scott had on his arm

Bright Eyes - The People's Key

[image]

Portugal. The Man - not released in 2011, but repressed in 2011. That counts, right?

[image]

[image]

[image]

She & Him - A Very She & Him Christmas

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I also just got the crazy deluxe version of Sigur Ros' Inni, but have yet to take photos of it. I'm also waiting on the die-cut version of Light Bearer's Lapsus, which also looks beautiful.

[image]

I made these earlier in the year, 5" vinyl with business card CD on a pop up mechanism http://www.acdsleeve.com/recent-work/pariso-kerouac-split_5-vinyl-pop-up-business-card-cd/

Hopefully next year I'll be doing more vinyl packaging but for now the larger print format makes it pretty much impossible for short runs.

Explosions In the Sky - Take Care

[image]

There are some cool pics out there with the actual LP in it and it looks even crazier

the packaging is by far the best on this. it's the first EITS album that kina bores me after the first listen :( was realy dissapointed.

same with mogwai - hardcore will never die.

by the way, if anyone wants to buy the mogwai box just drop me a pm.

(sorry for the highjack)

does what it says on the tin! it's 'holiday season' and i suspect more than a few of us have friends who would appreciate truly badass records, so please share your pics for this year's most awesome / absurd packaging. bonus points if they're still available, since that's half the point.

my selection:

Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm 'deluxe' version [Hells Headbangers]

[image]

your turn!!

Seconded forever. I actually have their first record that hhr did like that. Looks so amazing!

Some good ones already mentioned above. I'm still in awe of Deathwish's job on the Touche Amore deluxe edition. I don't have another record like it in my collection.

[image]

It is like a class yearbook how heavy it is. The did screw up the labels though, oops.

Definitely one of the best all around packages of the year. So awesome.

Im not a huge fan of a lot of Deathwish bands but they are a great label and ALWAYS release quality stuff. Ive never once been disappointed by anything I purchased from them.

[image]

Numero (no strangers to brilliant packaging) have done it again with both the vinyl and CD presses of their latest Boddie Recording Co. project. The LP's themselves come in manila folders to simulate delving into the obscure files of this little known label/studio and their output. Great stuff!