anyone store their vinyl outside the jacket?

i keep all mine inside the jackets the way they were meant to be.

sometimes tho, if the record comes with an inner sleeve AND a white sleeve (flaming lips at war with the mystics, and those smiths reissues for example), i'll keep the inner sleeve a nice sexy virgin and keep the record in the white sleeve, but still in the jacket.

no, there's no reason to do this unless your records are packed so tight on the shelf that the jackets are going to get ring-wear. the jacket keeps the dust out. if you keep records outside the sleeve they can still make marks on the jacket, maybe more so. the only reason it is better to ship them this way is because the records move around in shipping and can split the jackets. this shouldn't happen on your shelf or in your record case.

if i have a record that has a printed inner sleeve and it gets a lot of use or is a particularly "sharp edged" record, i like to put them in white paper sleeve and keep the inner sleeve as an insert. i've noticed an increasing number of records that come with printed inner sleeves, with the record in a white paper sleeve. pointless, but i know this is because they're generally the same price.

yeah, i've noticed printed sleeve + white sleeve too.

i usually just leave them this way, so i can keep the printed sleeve nice and minty.

i mentioned the smiths reissues and flaming lips doing this, but i just noticed the other day that my red/black splatter of The Peoples Key did this too, only they used those sexy clear plastic sleeves. saddle creek is the only label i've bought from that has provided these, but im starting to think i like them better than white paper.

This thread seems to have the same split consensus of other things I've read. Some people think it prevents ring wear, others do not. Like dreamover stated I've got to figure that if your records are packed tight enough to create significant ringwear then storing outside the vinyl isn't going to change this.

Seems like thicker (say 4mil) sleevs would do more to prevent this than anything else.

Has anyone come across a definitive answer?

just keep it loose. if the record barely fits in the jacket, it's going to get ring wear or split through. if the plastic sleeve is way too tight, it'll get ring wear. if they're all squished on a shelf, ring wear. if the record has been sealed for 10 years, ring wear and a good chance ink on the cover will peel off.