You Are My Sunshine @ Tooth & Nail + 10% off sale

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Records go for ridiculous amounts on eBay, sometimes low, sometimes high. If you really weren't flipping, you would have started it at what you paid just to get your money back. That at least allows for the chance at it being reasonable, which you have eliminated by setting it that high. The fact that you started it at "the lowest price I would sell it for" when you just bought it is flipping.

I've flipped records before. Doesn't make you a scumbag. Just don't be disingenuous about it. Then you're a gigantic dickhead.

Like I said above, if it doesn't sell for that I will just keep it. I would/will use the money if it sells to try and buy a clean copy or use it for other records. I really don't care if people on a message board think I am flipping a record or not, not something I am going to lose sleep over.

That's why eBay puts a reserve option. Start the bidding at 9.99 with a reserve of the lowest price you'd take and let people bid. Not starting the bidding at the lowest you'd take for something you spent for fraction of what you're going to charge someone. You're selling it strictly to make a profit and that's flipping and that's what pisses a lot of people off. I understand you bought it expecting a new copy and not a promo and that's probably why you're selling it. But that starting bid price is way too high for a promo which is why T&N sold it on the cheap. Gotta let people bid things up for you

Reserve auctions are a joke, why not just put what you want for it that way the buyer knows how much it will take to get it. I would say 99% of the auctions that have a reserve never actually sell. I would say most buyers won't even bid on a auction that has a reserve.

To play the other side of that coin, I think the reserve function acts in your favor. If folks see it's $60ish out of the gate, there's a good chance 99% of them won't touch it whereas if it starts out at .99 cents and there's a reserve, they don't know WHAT the reserve is that needs to be met, so by way of compulsive psychology (one of the main premises eBay is built off of), folks will bid it up to $56 or beyond anyway.

To play the other side of that coin, I think the reserve function acts in your favor. If folks see it's $60ish out of the gate, there's a good chance 99% of them won't touch it whereas if it starts out at .99 cents and there's a reserve, they don't know WHAT the reserve is that needs to be met, so by way of compulsive psychology (one of the main premises eBay is built off of), folks will bid it up to $56 or beyond anyway.

I think this logic is true in most eBay auctions that start off at a low price, where bidders tend to get caught up in a bidding war but I personally don't think that is true with reserve auctions. I will quit talking about this, you guys can continue to flame me though haha

I'm not personally flaming you (my earlier rant was more towards flippers in general) - what you do with your property is your business irregardless of what any of us have to say in disagreement about how you handle it - just bringing up a point about the reserve and the bidding wars. That's how eBay gets folks, that sort of inner voice going 'you were willing to bid THIS much, what's a few more bucks?" It's an endlessly interesting thing to look at.

I'm not personally flaming you (my earlier rant was more towards flippers in general) - what you do with your property is your business irregardless of what any of us have to say in disagreement about how you handle it - just bringing up a point about the reserve and the bidding wars. That's how eBay gets folks, that sort of inner voice going 'you were willing to bid THIS much, what's a few more bucks?" It's an endlessly interesting thing to look at.

Sorry that wasn't directed at you or for that matter anyone else. Honestly everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what it may be, honestly I bought this record with the sole intention to keep. After it came, seeing it was a promo I decided that I would rather have a clean copy.

This is the point I was trying to make

I agree with the compulsive psychology. This worked in my favor last week as I sold my copy of Weezer's Blue album for $150 on there, starting price $0.99. Wasn't expecting it to go past $50 or $60 either.

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing due to the T&N sale we're never going to see a repress of this ever again, right?

That's what I assume.  Also, has any been to the T&N store lately?  They're vinyl section and, heck everything, is basically gone except for a few recent releases.  Glad I ordered stuff from them before they disappeared..

That's what I assume.  Also, has any been to the T&N store lately?  They're vinyl section and, heck everything, is basically gone except for a few recent releases.  Glad I ordered stuff from them before they disappeared..

I'm so bummed, YAMS has recently become one of my favorite albums of all time and there's no way I'm going to drop 200 on a record for it. All the auctions I've seen have gone up to about 180 or so, it's so terrible. And I thought getting EIT would be a pain...

That's what I assume. Also, has any been to the T&N store lately? They're vinyl section and, heck everything, is basically gone except for a few recent releases. Glad I ordered stuff from them before they disappeared..

Yeah it seemed bizarre. Glad I got nearly everything I wanted before they were bought. Looks like they still have he rights to The Almost though.