You Are My Sunshine @ Tooth & Nail + 10% off sale

I've thought about this a lot recently, Kriss, and I think that the "record market" attracts two completely different groups: fans of a band, and then record collectors. I think most of the records that go for tons of money on ebay are purchased by fans of a band as opposed to record collectors, because I feel that most record collectors (or at least myself) would be like "Hell no I won't pay that much."

Does this make sense? I'm curious as to what others might think.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that logic. I don't see the logic of the rarity of something driving it up to a ridiculous amount - particularly in cases where a person lucked out and found it on the cheap and then turned around and flipped it for four times as much or more within days. I won't lie, I've been tempted to get into flipping because there are great shops around here that sell stuff way cheaper than they should (found a copy of the Fly In The Ointment 7" by AFI for $30 and considered flipping it since the pressing it is goes for $75+ on the regular but bought it and kept it for myself instead because I just love earlier AFI) but in a way, I feel like I'm cheating a person who IS passionate about a particular record out of being able to find a rad score if I buy it (and don't care about the record at that!) simply to derive a profit from it.

It's not wrong per se to do this and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular who does it, but I do find myself questioning whether folks are in it for the right intentions if the lion's share of their record consumption is based off of the premise of reselling. Granted, a person's intentions can be any number of things but because I like my music on the vinyl format and NOT because of the bragging rights or 'value' it has monetarily, I tend to lean towards the more altruistic end of thinking that wanting the music for the sake of hearing is the right intention versus buying it only to mark it up and sell it to someone else is the wrong one. I'm admittedly naive in that I think people should be able to find the music they enjoy on the format they want and so long as it's within reason (i.e. only been out of print over the last several years) should get it at a fair price and not have to pay a small fortune for it.

Tooth & Nail is about to press a back catalog record a lot of people will be excited for. I'm pretty stoked for it, bummed I'm not doing it though.

Short band name.

I was thinking Mae, but I'm really not sure who all would be excited for The Everglow or Destination to be pressed on vinyl.

Mae was my first guess too. I'd buy either of the first two.

Tooth & Nail is about to press a back catalog record a lot of people will be excited for. I'm pretty stoked for it, bummed I'm not doing it though.

Short band name.

I was thinking Mae, but I'm really not sure who all would be excited for The Everglow or Destination to be pressed on vinyl.

Mae never appealed to me so this is a pass.

Glad I got this and it was a good price but they should have listed them as having sleeve damage. Got it today with all four corners dented in, a partially crushed spine and a quarter inch cut into the spine. I mean full disclosure, right? Looks like a cut made by someone on purpose. I've seen this on CD cases before too. Not sure why a label would do this.

Yep, that auction is mine. Since it was a promo copy I figured I would sell this one and try and find a clean copy. Call it being a Flipper or whatever but it's not like I bought 10 copies of this to sell, just bought the one.

And I would love to see some of Mae's stuff be put on vinyl. Would definitely buy (1) copy of each.

Brian

Yep, that auction is mine. Since it was a promo copy I figured I would sell this one and try and find a clean copy. Call it being a Flipper or whatever but it's not like I bought 10 copies of this to sell, just bought the one.

And I would love to see some of Mae's stuff be put on vinyl. Would definitely buy (1) copy of each.

Brian

You're a flipper because you started the auction at $59 and a buy it now for $100. I don't give a shit what you do but it's annoying to read you justifying it by saying "it's not like I bought 10 copies." You're just a fucking flipper.

Brian

You're a flipper because you started the auction at $59 and a buy it now for $100. I don't give a shit what you do but it's annoying to read you justifying it by saying "it's not like I bought 10 copies." You're just a fucking flipper.

So if I would have started the auction at $9.99 that wouldn't have been flipping? That logic makes no sense. I really don't care if anyone thinks I am a flipper or not, I started the record at the lowest price I would sell it for, if I don't get it it will go back in the collection, which is fine by me.

Records go for ridiculous amounts on eBay, sometimes low, sometimes high. If you really weren't flipping, you would have started it at what you paid just to get your money back. That at least allows for the chance at it being reasonable, which you have eliminated by setting it that high. The fact that you started it at "the lowest price I would sell it for" when you just bought it is the definition of flipping.

I've flipped records before. Doesn't make you a scumbag. Just don't be disingenuous about it. Then you're a gigantic dickhead.

That's why eBay puts a reserve option. Start the bidding at 9.99 with a reserve of the lowest price you'd take and let people bid. Not starting the bidding at the lowest you'd take for something you spent for fraction of what you're going to charge someone. You're selling it strictly to make a profit and that's flipping and that's what pisses a lot of people off. I understand you bought it expecting a new copy and not a promo and that's probably why you're selling it. But that starting bid price is way too high for a promo which is why T&N sold it on the cheap. Gotta let people bid things up for you

Records go for ridiculous amounts on eBay, sometimes low, sometimes high. If you really weren't flipping, you would have started it at what you paid just to get your money back. That at least allows for the chance at it being reasonable, which you have eliminated by setting it that high. The fact that you started it at "the lowest price I would sell it for" when you just bought it is the definition of flipping.

I've flipped records before. Doesn't make you a scumbag. Just don't be disingenuous about it. Then you're a gigantic dickhead.

Well said