Newbury Comics

i'm in Providence, RI at the moment and got to visit Newbury for the first time in the mall here. what a fantastic store. i don't think i've ever spent that much time in a single store. those of you who have regular access to this great place had better not take it for granted. so very jealous.

Yeah, Newbury Comics is pretty sick.

The Newbury Street Boston and the Harvard Square Cambridge location have much better vinyl selections than some of the others.

Also, If anyone ever has a chance to check out the one in Norwood, MA, they have a great used vinyl selection, which none of the other locations have.

Are they cutting down on vinyl chain wide? I went to the one in Maine that I used to frequent alot back in college and the section isnt even a third of what it used to be. Had all the radiohead stuff, about 5 rap singles, and two misfits to go with some 7"s. The one on Newbury Street though I have gotten so many good deals there.

seems like it would be a cool store to visit but considering I ordered something from them and then they said it was out of stock and then a few days later they were selling it on ebay I pretty much hate them.

Yeah they are known to do that often. If something rare comes in, they will throw it on ebay to get even more money out of it. They also will sell you promos too if you arent looking out for them. Happened to me a few times on some cds, I wouldnt normally care but they didnt have any booklets with them.

i went to two of the newbury comics in Boston and both sucked balls.. nothing worth buying at all. reminded me of your local mall chain record store to me. i don't see the big hoopla in this store. am i missing something?

their online store has been rather helpful with some oop records. i can't say so much for their physical locations as i've never been to one, but i know i've bought at least one record from their ebay store.

i went to two of the newbury comics in Boston and both sucked balls.. nothing worth buying at all. reminded me of your local mall chain record store to me. i don't see the big hoopla in this store. am i missing something?

Some of them are much better than others. The best stores are Newbury Street, Harvard Square, Braintree, Natick and Norwood. Some of the smaller locations, well, leave a bit to be desired (I'm looking at you, Manchester NH).

Are they cutting down on vinyl chain wide? I went to the one in Maine that I used to frequent alot back in college and the section isnt even a third of what it used to be. Had all the radiohead stuff, about 5 rap singles, and two misfits to go with some 7"s. The one on Newbury Street though I have gotten so many good deals there.

The one by the mall? They have cut about 90% of stock, I just don't think it moves round those parts. I routinely find shit at other ME shops that has just been sitting. Newberry in Boston still has a good stock though.

newbury and harvard square are easily the best ive been to.

a little more than a year ago, the amherst store moved to northampton, and was able to pretty much triple in size. unfortunately the vinyl section didnt benefit much from it.

the selection is still pretty good, but the used section is a joke when you can get everything in it for 1/3 the price across the street.

Natick got moved to the mall. It's not as good now. The others you mentioned are still great though.
Really? The one in Braintree got moved to the mall and their vinyl selection doubled and they started slashing prices on cds and dvds like crazy. It's been a great improvement.

I assumed since the changes in Natick were based on the changes in Braintree, it would be similar. I guess not.

I am actually headed to Somerville, MA tomorrow....anyone know which one is closest to this area...im am not familiar at all ....never been....thanks

If you're in Somerville, you should be pretty close to the one in Harvard Square, which is a solid location. The address is 36 Jfk Street, Cambridge. Parking is a bitch though.

all i remember is i went to the one on newbury street and another one near the north end. both were god awful. but then again i don't really look for much of the same bands as most on vc users do.

I always find something worth buying, whether it's an old classic I never owned on vinyl or something new that I didn't pick up the colored vinyl via mail order.

Really? The one in Braintree got moved to the mall and their vinyl selection doubled and they started slashing prices on cds and dvds like crazy. It's been a great improvement.

I assumed since the changes in Natick were based on the changes in Braintree, it would be similar. I guess not.

It's not terrible, but it seems more focused on toys and t-shirts and stuff. It's the new "hybrid store" model they're trying. The vinyl section was decent but not as big as when it was over in Sherwood Plaza on Route 9, and I got the Type O Negative box with a 25% off coupon, so it wasn't that bad. The old store also was two minutes from my office, so I'd go there to kill time and poke around when I could. I can't really do that at the mall.

It's not terrible, but it seems more focused on toys and t-shirts and stuff. It's the new "hybrid store" model they're trying. The vinyl section was decent but not as big as when it was over in Sherwood Plaza on Route 9, and I got the Type O Negative box with a 25% off coupon, so it wasn't that bad. The old store also was two minutes from my office, so I'd go there to kill time and poke around when I could. I can't really do that at the mall.

Yeah, Braintree is a hybrid store too, but I like it. To each his own, I guess.