the new generation of pop punk

icecream

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^this is why we're friends santiago

everyone should listen to CRUSADES though

and for you santiago: look up crazy spirit, wild child, and nuclear spring.. even though they arent pop punk in the least. think you'd dig them

Excellent. I was going to snag a Crazy Spirit 7" from someone on VLV to check them out but I spaced on it at the time. I bet it is now oop and super croo$h haha.

I cant understand how this new breed of pop-punk is popular. They all sound the same and are doing the same thing. The last album I got from a pop-punk band was the first Set Your Goals album when someone told me they were a good hardcore band. Im not sure how that is in any way hardcore. I guess I side with the elders of the board while only being 27.

I cant understand how this new breed of pop-punk is popular. They all sound the same and are doing the same thing. The last album I got from a pop-punk band was the first Set Your Goals album when someone told me they were a good hardcore band. Im not sure how that is in any way hardcore. I guess I side with the elders of the board while only being 27.

I guess I side with the elders of the board while only being 21.

I guess I side with the elders of the board while only being 21.

Is there really any other option though? What was originally described as pop-punk when pop-punk came about surely is more likely to fit the tag than whatever came afterwards. Don't misconstrue this as me trying to create some new, lousy subgenre, but the newer stuff that isn't clearly pop-punk is some kind of post-pop-punk (if that makes sense...).

I mean... that would be like me looking at hardcore and calling it metal because it's loud, heavy, and fast. It KIND OF makes sense, but hardly stands any ground as a valid opinion when you SERIOUSLY consider what it means to say something dumb like that.

(I hope that came out of my head right... I'm tired as shit right now.)

I agree with Matt and Andrew that labels are labels and folks should like what they like (me filing my own record collection is just an aesthetic choice that I hold only to myself and no one else - thanks for the shot!)

Didn't mean for it to sound like I was taking a shot at you. I was just pointing out that I can't find anything in there because I don't pay attention to genre, and your whole system baffles me. That's more a comment on me and how I view genre, I think. I even said, "as long as (you) can find his stuff. that's what it's for, after all."

I'm not saying that 27 is old because I'm 27 myself (and maybe I'm in a bit of denial), but I don't think it's necessarily complete youth anymore either. When you consider that most of us (in the late 20's range atleast) discovered punk in some form probably 15+ years ago (I would say most of us found it between 11 and 14 no?) - there's bound to be some contention on our parts about what the style of music WE identified with is compared to what the same name or label is flying a flag over nowadays a decade and a half later.

Music evolves and changes but I don't think it's wrong for folks to have personal definitions of what a genre's core characteristics are especially if they're speaking from a historical level of knowing the roots of the genre itself where time and years and the bands and records that existed prove a point definitely one way or another irregardless of opinion. From that stand point, things like TBS onward to Tigers Jaw are NOT pop punk to ME (and not because I think they're massively watered down compared to what I personally think whatever genre they identify in truly is) but my opinion isn't fact either - it's opinion and nothing more.

to me pop punk anything with a really catchy hook and pop structure, but obvious punk influence.

the pop punk i enjoyed growing up (fat wreck, nitro, lookout bands) sounds a lot like most of the pop punk that still comes out today, unless kids started calling those annoying flippy haired pop bands that victory keeps singing as "pop punk", i'm pretty sure theres a better label for that kind of stuff.

to me pop punk anything with a really catchy hook and pop structure, but obvious punk influence.

the pop punk i enjoyed growing up (fat wreck, nitro, lookout bands) sounds a lot like most of the pop punk that still comes out today, unless kids started calling those annoying flippy haired pop bands that victory keeps singing as "pop punk", i'm pretty sure theres a better label for that kind of stuff.

"pop punk"? "lame"?

"pop punk"? "lame"?

something to this effect, yes.

There's also regional differences to consider. Pop punk from southern California is completely different from stuff from northern California, and both might as well be from a different planet when compared to New York City.

are you saying there's some form of similarity between the two? i dont' see any?

but at the same time yeah, i'm not arguing that, ergs sound totally different than say OWtH, but you could stick both bands together on a bill and it would be fine. just like back in the day when you could have a nyhc and a california hardcore band play together and there was a commonality that can't be explained. you couldn't put say Parasites or Vindictives opening up for Hawthorne Heights or any of those high pitch vocal chorus bullshit pop bands.

The Ataris are opening for The Queers.

you couldn't put say Parasites or Vindictives opening up for Hawthorne Heights or any of those high pitch vocal chorus bullshit pop bands.

This this this! I am not a big fan of the safe and predictable bands most people here love...I am still of the mindset that this particular counter-culture should be challenging and dangerous to a certain extent as opposed to boring and fashionable.

Here is a visual aid for you folks out there...

Pop-punk:

[image]

Pop-junk:

[image]

Hardcore:

[image]

Hardbore (note the Gap apparel...very fitting for this new age of scene kids):

[image]

this.

Can someone please explain to me the greatness of Mikey Erg? Ive seen people lose their shit over a release with him on it, but I dont get it. To me its like getting excited that the dude from Sugar Ray is on a new album.

He has been part of some influential pop punk bands, and has been apart of some killer albums. In my opinion, i think he is a great musician that can write some catchy as fuck pop punk songs. But who knows, maybe people get excited about his enthusiasm for music seeing he plays with some of (again in my opinion) the best bands of the genre.

Ergs!

Psyched to Die

Houseboat

Dopamines

used Kids

Slow Death

has played with the Measures, unlovables, dirt bike annie, short attention...

And now he is part of star fucking hipsters, but im not a fan of them.

Just throwing that out there... I don't and haven't seen people lose their shit for him, however i do know if he plays solo or with any of "his" bands, i will be there 100% of the time.