Being Veg Is Worse For Animals Than Eating Them

kriss

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mellietronx

Lot of good discussion going on here. We should all be tolerant of what each other does since at the day it's everyone's own business and not anyone else's anyway.

This.

I don't mind if someone eats a burger while sitting next me. I don't think yelling at people or telling them they are eating dead flesh is going to get anything across. I know people who do that and that just annoys everyone.

When I first went vegan five years ago, I found a whole world of foods opened up for me that I never knew existed and was so inspired by it that I went to culinary school and do what I do now as a result.

This is true for me (except the culinary school part). i've been vegetarian for 3 years and have since discovered a ton of new foods that have since become my favorites. If nothing else, i can say it has improved my life in that regard.

When it comes to holier than thou arguments there's a very fine line between being an offender and not. Saying bullshit like "Vegans are stuck up jerks. Lol, fuck you guys, I'm gonna go eat some bacon haha, you're dumb deal with it" is just as incredibly obnoxious and arrogant as "you're a murderer, meat is murder fur is dead, I hope you get killed in a slaughterhouse!". Everyone can be offensive and hypocritical. I personally do not force my views on anyone, neither my views on animal rights nor straight edge because I recognize these are decisions you make for yourself and no one else. I do not however think it's cool for people to mock those decisions. Saying shit like "haha I love meat, deal with it bitch" makes you look just as much like a tool as you may think a vegan sounds.

I think a good portion of the reason vegetarians and vegans have such a negative stigma is because of batshit organizations like PETA and Animal Liberation Front. While they may have somewhat a good intention, their methods suck and are ridiculous. PETA kills FAR more animals than they save and are sexist shits, yet they manage to snag kids in high school with their cutesy BE A BUNNY'S HONEY stickers and fill them with their rhetoric. It's not too bad when it's just educating on ethical treatment of animals and showing that many slaughterhouses do in fact treat animals poorly but the militant mindset PETA harbors is no bueno. This is how I started out, had some friends that had peta stickers on their folders and such in early highschool, borrowed the Earthlings documentary from a friend and I got pissed and outraged at people. Now that I've grown up a bit it's whatever to me. I know PETA is full of shit. Am I indifferent to the meat industry now? No, I'm still not stoked about it but I know I have no place in dictating to other people what they should and shouldn't eat.

As usual I'm just rambling my stream of conscience. TL:DR version for both sides:

Also I should probably clarify I'm vegetarian, not vegan. As of now anyways.

When it comes to holier than thou arguments there's a very fine line between being an offender and not. Saying bullshit like "Vegans are stuck up jerks. Lol, fuck you guys, I'm gonna go eat some bacon haha, you're dumb deal with it" is just as incredibly obnoxious and arrogant as "you're a murderer, meat is murder fur is dead, I hope you get killed in a slaughterhouse!". Everyone can be offensive and hypocritical. I personally do not force my views on anyone, neither my views on animal rights nor straight edge because I recognize these are decisions you make for yourself and no one else. I do not however think it's cool for people to mock those decisions. Saying shit like "haha I love meat, deal with it bitch" makes you look just as much like a tool as you may think a vegan sounds.

I think a good portion of the reason vegetarians and vegans have such a negative stigma is because of batshit organizations like PETA and Animal Liberation Front. While they may have somewhat a good intention, their methods suck and are ridiculous. PETA kills FAR more animals than they save and are sexist shits, yet they manage to snag kids in high school with their cutesy BE A BUNNY'S HONEY stickers and fill them with their rhetoric. It's not too bad when it's just educating on ethical treatment of animals and showing that many slaughterhouses do in fact treat animals poorly but the militant mindset PETA harbors is no bueno. This is how I started out, had some friends that had peta stickers on their folders and such in early highschool, borrowed the Earthlings documentary from a friend and I got pissed and outraged at people. Now that I've grown up a bit it's whatever to me. I know PETA is full of shit. Am I indifferent to the meat industry now? No, I'm still not stoked about it but I know I have no place in dictating to other people what they should and shouldn't eat.

As usual I'm just rambling my stream of conscience. TL:DR version for both sides:

Also I should probably clarify I'm vegetarian, not vegan. As of now anyways.

This. It bums me out so hard when people find that I'm vegan and instantly ask if I'm a fan of PETA or ALF. I have NO love for either of those organizations and it angers me probably more than any meat eater to see their actions because what they do effects the rest of us who are actually tolerant and non pushy.

PETA kills FAR more animals than they save

I'm not trying to defend peta in general, but I believe the point is that they are humanely putting animals down rather than allowing them to suffer, etc. in general, peta does a lot of stupid things (I bolded that just to make sure it doesn't get overlooked), but this statement seems like you're putting a negative spin on a statistic you (i.e., the person who first said this) know nothing about

it's like saying "why take your injured dog to a vet? they kill FAR more dogs than they save", especially since I doubt there has been any research to determine how many animals peta has actually saved. what does it mean to "save" an animal? if I was influenced to become vegetarian because of peta (fwiw, I wasn't, but I could see how the the cute stickers and famous supporters (e.g., davey havok, matt skiba, etc.) could sway young people), how is that quantifiable? if, say, half of the 2 million members of peta started eating meat, wouldn't that have some sort of an effect on the meat industry?

ultimately, what I'm trying to say is "you don't need to misuse statistics to make peta look bad -- they do enough stupid stuff to take care of that for you". for instance:

"PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk"

"PETA Protests Use of Fur in Super Mario Bros."

(oh, and I'm a statistician, so I'm sensitive to people using statistics)

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':14qcu5s1]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':14qcu5s1]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I'm not trying to defend peta in general, but I believe the point is that they are humanely putting animals down rather than allowing them to suffer, etc. in general, peta does a lot of stupid things (I bolded that just to make sure it doesn't get overlooked), but this statement seems like you're putting a negative spin on a statistic you (i.e., the person who first said this) know nothing about

it's like saying "why take your injured dog to a vet? they kill FAR more dogs than they save", especially since I doubt there has been any research to determine how many animals peta has actually saved. what does it mean to "save" an animal? if I was influenced to become vegetarian because of peta (fwiw, I wasn't, but I could see how the the cute stickers and famous supporters (e.g., davey havok, matt skiba, etc.) could sway young people), how is that quantifiable? if, say, half of the 2 million members of peta started eating meat, wouldn't that have some sort of an effect on the meat industry?

ultimately, what I'm trying to say is "you don't need to misuse statistics to make peta look bad -- they do enough stupid stuff to take care of that for you". for instance:

"PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk"

"PETA Protests Use of Fur in Super Mario Bros."

(oh, and I'm a statistician, so I'm sensitive to people using statistics)

wrong. the statement about peta killing more animals than it saves does not refer to them humanely euthanizing sick/injured animals.

[insert video here]

assuming you're referring to the "peta kills 2/3 of the animals they rescued" part (rather than the "giving money to a guy in ALF" part), you don't know why those animals were killed/euthanized/whatever, but rather that they were killed (note that I never said anything about sick/injured animals... I imagine a fair amount of the animals they kill are killed because homes can't be found and the alternative is for them to be strays, where they'd perhaps be at high risk for getting diseases and everything that bob barker was against). and again, who's to say that they didn't save (directly or indirectly) animals that they didn't rescue? you're using one set of numbers from a biased source blindly to make a point, and if you're going to base your opinion solely off of biased numbers, you're inevitably going to come to a biased conclusion

and while the animal rights people they interviewed seemed pretty crazy/creepy, once ted nugent started talking, they seemed pretty normal by comparison

Statistic are loads of shit.....Epic loads of Elephant dung.

I can use numbers to prove that Ice Cream Trucks on the Florida Coast are relative to Shark Attacks in a given year.

**I HATE PETA AND I AM NOT DEFENDING THEM IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM**

But PETA does kill animals, they do not claim they do not. They have a site on their campus that handles humane euthanization to those who are not suitable for a home (i.e. sick/overflow/etc.) But it's better to save your complaining for a Jeremy Bentham research essay.

Who deserve treatment and life? A sick dog who will be dead 5months after treatment or rather a dog that will live for the rest of his or her lifespan?

This thread derailed the moment it was created. It went from statistics that suggest being a vegetarian is a hypocritical diet to all veg(an)s are elitest dicks (Which may or may not be true) and finally stopped at all Veg(an)s support an organization that kills animals.

Another point would arise is the question of does supply of meat influence the demand or does the lack of demand create a general glut in the supply?

So moral of this thread is opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

PS This thread is still dildos

peta is to animals what hitler was to the jews.

1) "all my pets are soap and lampshades" should be on the next dopamines record

2) I do remember learning about how hitler rescued the jews and found adoptive families for 1/3 of them, and the "jews don't like tests either!" sticker in anne frank's diary is ADORABLE!

3) I want to watch Inglourious Basterds right now

4) are you ted nugent?

peta is to animals what hitler was to the jews.

2) I do remember learning about how hitler rescued the jews and found adoptive families for 1/3 of them, and the "jews don't like tests either!" sticker in anne frank's diary is ADORABLE!

4) are you ted nugent?

i feel sorry for you. you've clearly fallen victim to the brainwashing of those useless extremist fucks.

4) are you ted nugent?

i feel sorry for you. you've clearly fallen victim to the brainwashing of those useless extremist fucks.

me: arguing against the abuse of statistics

you: comparing euthanizing animals to the holocaust

just making sure I understand what's going on here...

I want to post how I find vegetarians hating on Peta so hypocritical, but I can't really find the right words.

the problem with peta is:

1) they use scare tactics to guilt/disgust people into not eating meat. they are essentially the jehovas witnesses of the vegetarian world. everyone has a brain and everyone knows where meat comes from. you have to make your own life choices based on what makes you comfortable. showing someone a gross picture may turn them off of meat for 3 days but will not change turn them into a permanent vegetarian because they already know where it comes from. just because i am a vegetarian doesn't mean everyone else should be. i do what makes me comfortable, as does everyone else and know one should ever shove their beliefs down someones else's throat. and that goes for religion, animal rights, politics, straight edge, etc etc.

2) they claim to want whats best for animals but consistently euthanize healthy adoptable dogs and cats because they don't believe in domesticating animals. i don't know about you guys, but my pets have the life of luxury living in my home. they are given the best food, the best care, the best veterinary care, the most love and pampering- and will never get run over by a car or eaten by a coyote. if that is abuse, then i want to be abused.

3) they prostitute for donations and harass the shit out of anyone who's contact info they can get pleading and pleading for money which they use for what? not helping animals. they use the money to harass the shit out of you even more mailing you useless flyers and magazines and stickers that say "pigs are friends too". fuck that. how does that help animals. if i donated money to them- thinking i was helping animals- and then found out thats what its used for i'd be PISSED.

if you want to donate to help animals go through the SPCA or Petsmart Charities or The Farley Foundation.

2) they claim to want whats best for animals but consistently euthanize healthy adoptable dogs and cats because they don't believe in domesticating animals. i don't know about you guys, but my pets have the life of luxury living in my home. they are given the best food, the best care, the best veterinary care, the most love and pampering- and will never get run over by a car or eaten by a coyote. if that is abuse, then i want to be abused.

let me just start out by saying that i think that the whole peta thing is led by a buncha weirdos and i do not agree with a vast majority of their tactics and what they do.

HOWEVER, i can't find any credible source on the internet that says they don't believe that people should have animals as pets. in fact, in their own literature they talk about adopting animals instead of buying them at pet stores.

yes, i have found statistics that say they kill almost 85% of the animals they take in, which is admittedly alarmingly high. supposedly that's because most of the animals they take in are already sick beyond help or something along those lines, but i have no idea if that's true or not.

i'm just genuinely curious to read about this and can't find anything to support this statement.

let me just start out by saying that i think that the whole peta thing is led by a buncha weirdos and i do not agree with a vast majority of their tactics and what they do.

HOWEVER, i can't find any credible source on the internet that says they don't believe that people should have animals as pets. in fact, in their own literature they talk about adopting animals instead of buying them at pet stores.

yes, i have found statistics that say they kill almost 85% of the animals they take in, which is admittedly alarmingly high. supposedly that's because most of the animals they take in are already sick beyond help or something along those lines, but i have no idea if that's true or not.

i'm just genuinely curious to read about this and can't find anything to support this statement.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/downloads/PetaKillsAnimals.pdf

nowhere does it mention the health that any of the animals were in at the time but there is no possible way that 90%+ of the animals they took in were unadoptable.

of course they prefer for people to adopt rather than buy from pet stores for obvious reasons (puppy mills) but by also hoping to put registered breeders out of business the hope if that eventually dogs and cats will become extinct. that is obviously a loooong time away given how many homeless pets there currently are, but its petas long term goal.