Being Veg Is Worse For Animals Than Eating Them

kriss

I resent vegetarians/vegans for turning food into something ideological. I'm gonna eat whatever the hell I want.

I view eating meat and using animal products to be just as much as an ideology as being vegetarian/vegan. Non vegans love to paint us as militant where as I would use the word passionate to describe our, at least my, position. Non vegans get incredibly defensive about food/lifestyle politics because really they have to be. It's the only way for them to not feel guilty. If you consume animal products you have to recognize that you are selfish. You have to be comfortable with the fact that your actions result in the death of sentient beings. Your actions damage the environment. Your actions harm your health. Eat/consume whatever you please but don't parade around as if you're innocent. Own up to what you do.

Without getting too deep into this, seeing as I didn't major in animal ethics.. you proved my point for me. You're telling me what is and isn't right or wrong or good or bad. I, and the 95% of the world that agrees with me, will continue to eat meat because it tastes good. Get over it. Just because you think differently doesn't mean you're better than anyone. It's the high and mighty bullshit that gets vegans so made fun of. You might as well be an evangelical nut too.

Now excuse me while I eat my chicken and bacon ranch sub from subway. Eat your heart out vegans. Though that would break vegan edge..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many famous athletes who don't eat meat. It's definitely not the majority, but they do exist and succeed.

For example, Carl Lewis, Bill Walton, Tony Gonzalez.

And now let's compare them to a few meat-eaters: Tim Tebow, Ryan Leaf, Matt Leinart.

Clear advantage? Vegetarians.

;D

How about a few more: Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning. You lose. ;)

I view eating meat and using animal products to be just as much as an ideology as being vegetarian/vegan. Non vegans love to paint us as militant where as I would use the word passionate to describe our, at least my, position. Non vegans get incredibly defensive about food/lifestyle politics because really they have to be. It's the only way for them to not feel guilty. If you consume animal products you have to recognize that you are selfish. You have to be comfortable with the fact that your actions result in the death of sentient beings. Your actions damage the environment. Your actions harm your health. Eat/consume whatever you please but don't parade around as if you're innocent. Own up to what you do.

Without getting too deep into this, seeing as I didn't major in animal ethics.. you proved my point for me. You're telling me what is and isn't right or wrong or good or bad. I, and the 95% of the world that agrees with me, will continue to eat meat because it tastes good. Get over it. Just because you think differently doesn't mean you're better than anyone. It's the high and mighty bullshit that gets vegans so made fun of. You might as well be an evangelical nut too.

Now excuse me while I eat my chicken and bacon ranch sub from subway. Eat your heart out vegans. Though that would break vegan edge..

This is the entire problem in a nutshell.

I find a lot of vegans comparable to Michael Moore. There are some valid points about health and the environment in there but you have to wade through and awful lot of finger-wagging and condescension to find it.

The frequency and forcefulness in which most vegans proselytize is probably not effective. The most frequent response I see, a vehement promise to continue to eat more meat, is also not helpful. So round and round we go. Weeeeeee.

as long as you're getting enough lean protein, it doesn't really matter if it's from an animal or not.

That statement is wrong. Check out the nutrition data below. Same serving size, 24g of protein vs 7g, 120 cal vs 140. Just an example, but pretty similar across the board.

Chicken Breast

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 4oz

Amount per Serving

Calories 120

Calories from Fat 13.5

Total Fat 1.5g

Saturated Fat 0.5g

Cholesterol 70mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 0g

Protein 24g

Black Beans

Serving Size: 4 oz - 1/2 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 9.0

Total Fat 1g

Saturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Protein 7g

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/black-beans/#ixzz1iQQl10iI

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/....#ixzz1iQQ8jc hV

you may have missed the 'lean' part of that. i understand the difference in calories. i think it's pretty obvious that with any special diet, you need to compensate in the gym, or in other aspects of your diet with things such as that.

I don't believe adapting a diet that is dependent on exercise to keep you healthy is very beneficial. Not sure what "other aspects of your diet with things such as that" means.

Guest markovianprocess

as long as you're getting enough lean protein, it doesn't really matter if it's from an animal or not.

That statement is wrong. Check out the nutrition data below. Same serving size, 24g of protein vs 7g, 120 cal vs 140. Just an example, but pretty similar across the board.

Chicken Breast

Nutrition Facts

Amount per Serving

Calories 120

Calories from Fat 13.5

Total Fat 1.5g

Saturated Fat 0.5g

Cholesterol 70mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 0g

Protein 24g

Black Beans

Amount per Serving

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 9.0

Total Fat 1g

Saturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Protein 7g

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/black-beans/#ixzz1iQQl10iI

Soybeans

Serving Size 100g

Calories 471

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 25.4g 39%

Saturated Fat 3.674g 18%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 4mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 33.6g 11%

Dietary Fiber 17.7g 71%

Sugar ~g ~

Protein 35.2g

Chicken Breast Tenders Cooked

Serving Size 100g

Calories 293

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 17.69g 27%

Saturated Fat 3.786g 19%

Cholesterol 44mg 15%

Sodium 457mg 19%

Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%

Dietary Fiber 1.3g 5%

Sugar 0.4g ~

Protein 15.8g

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-facts-compare.php

Really just depends what website you check and what you compare, doesn't it? If you'd compared soybeans, you'd see that they have more than double the amount of protein in the same serving size.

Again, if I was to go to the link below, you could say that at #1 is cheese, and at numbers #2 and #4 are vegan foodstuffs (#3 and #5 meat of some sort).

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

What I'm getting at here is, you're all debating your point on the basis of a single paper. Going, "oh look at this, this science said this thing, so it must be right, take that alternative viewpoint!".

Chicken Breast

Nutrition Facts

Amount per Serving

Calories 120

Calories from Fat 13.5

Total Fat 1.5g

Saturated Fat 0.5g

Cholesterol 70mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 0g

Protein 24g

Black Beans

Amount per Serving

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 9.0

Total Fat 1g

Saturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Protein 7g

Soybeans

Serving Size 100g

Calories 471

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 25.4g 39%

Saturated Fat 3.674g 18%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 4mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 33.6g 11%

Dietary Fiber 17.7g 71%

Sugar ~g ~

Protein 35.2g

Chicken Breast Tenders Cooked

Serving Size 100g

Calories 293

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 17.69g 27%

Saturated Fat 3.786g 19%

Cholesterol 44mg 15%

Sodium 457mg 19%

Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%

Dietary Fiber 1.3g 5%

Sugar 0.4g ~

Protein 15.8g

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-facts-compare.php

Really just depends what website you check and what you compare, doesn't it? If you'd compared soybeans, you'd see that they have more than double the amount of protein in the same serving size.

Again, if I was to go to the link below, you could say that at #1 is cheese, and at numbers #2 and #4 are vegan foodstuffs (#3 and #5 meat of some sort).

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

What I'm getting at here is, you're all debating your point on the basis of a single paper. Going, "oh look at this, this science said this thing, so it must be right, take that alternative viewpoint!".

Not sure what constitutes the chicken you quoted up there but normal cooked chicken breast does not contain 17 grams of carbohydrates or 457 mg of sodium. Here's the data, same scenario as the black beans.

SOYBEANS

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 cup (172.0 g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 298 Calories from Fat 139

Total Fat 15.4g

Saturated Fat 2.2g

Polyunsaturated Fat 8.7g

Monounsaturated Fat 3.4g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 2mg

Total Carbohydrates 17.1g

Dietary Fiber 10.3g

Sugars 5.2g

Protein 28.6g

CHICKEN BREAST

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 cup, chopped or diced (140.0 g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 231 Calories from Fat

Total Fat 5.0g

Saturated Fat 1.4g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g

Cholesterol 119mg

Sodium 104mg

Total Carbohydrates 0.0g

Protein 43.4g

you may have missed the 'lean' part of that. i understand the difference in calories. i think it's pretty obvious that with any special diet, you need to compensate in the gym, or in other aspects of your diet with things such as that.

I don't believe adapting a diet that is dependent on exercise to keep you healthy is very beneficial. Not sure what "other aspects of your diet with things such as that" means.

Every diet is dependent on exercise to keep you healthy. Sure, it depends on your definition of healthy, but generally speaking. Everyone needs, at least, cardio to keep your heart strong. Then you can start considering yourself "healthy."

Every diet is dependent on exercise to keep you healthy. Sure, it depends on your definition of healthy, but generally speaking. Everyone needs, at least, cardio to keep your heart strong. Then you can start considering yourself "healthy."

A combination of Diet and Exercise is definitely an optimal solution for health. However, I don't think a diet that will cause you to gain weight or become unhealthy if you stop exercising is a smart one to practice. I believe exercise is more of an accessory you can apply (or not apply) to your foundation of a clean diet. That being said, I try to exercise (HIIT, or OLY Lifting) 4-5 times a week.

A lot of great points have been made in this thread so far for both veganism/vegetarianism as well as the pluses of animal products and meat. Personally, I'm vegan (in the manner of definition that I referred to in an earlier post on the first page) due to a combination of ethics and health concerns. When I first went vegan five years ago, I found a whole world of foods opened up for me that I never knew existed and was so inspired by it that I went to culinary school and do what I do now as a result. This is simply me though and certainly I think what all should agree on is that whatever you choose to consume should be your own choice made up via your own fully formed opinions and views outside of strong prevalent influence. I've known folks who have worked off of the paleo/primitive diet and it works well for them - doesn't mean it would work for me. I personally have nothing against folks eating meat and have infact prepared it for a few clients before, my only issue comes in how that meat is cultivated (factory farming, etc) so I opt for more sustainable routes when I need to prepare such a thing for a client.

I agree that many veggies tend to dilute the term due to laziness by eating crap which is coincidentially in line with their way of eating as opposed to more healthy things, but the same could be argued for meat eaters subsisting off of big macs. Bad eating is bad eating across the board regardless of the source. At the moment, I'm adjusting to a 1,500 calorie/150 carbohydrate a day way of consuming foods which is requiring me to load up even more so on veggies and less so on white flour based products. Ultimately I think this will be better for my way of consumption and also my health and I plan on making it the base for how I would like to eat from here on out as opposed to it being a temporal diet - again though, while it may work for me, it probably won't work for others. My intentions in linking that article came due to my disdain for how heavy handed the writing was to one side - which is what it shouldn't have been - that is to say, balanced.

Lot of good discussion going on here. We should all be tolerant of what each other does since at the day it's everyone's own business and not anyone else's anyway.

many veggies tend to dilute the term due to laziness by eating crap

this is why I usually refer to myself as a "pastatarian" (or, perhaps more appropriately, a "carbotarian", but that's not as fun), due to my diet which consists primarily pasta, pretzels, orange juice, and grapes (i.e., I don't like to claim to be a vegetarian since I don't eat vegetables).

and don't bother lecturing me about the healthiness of my diet--that's for a health-conscious future girlfriend to fix. :) in the meantime, I'm a grad student (in the school of public health, no less...) who finds 1 or 2 pasta meals/day cheap, convenient, and tasty