PO: The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet (Ships 5/12)

That's gotta be why.

In all honesty, what do you think makes it great? Maybe I'm just missing something.

Any standout tracks you think I should listen to more?

I mean, I honestly don't know precisely why I like it. I've listened to TMV since they formed, so they've always been the ATDI follow up to me. You know what I mean? Also I smoked A LOT of weed as a kid and I just love prog and (SOME) jam bands because it cues that euphoric feeling in my brain. I dunno. Just smoke a doobie and listen to it, you'll like it a lot more I'm sure. I will say that Deloused is (BY FAR) the best TMV album, so as long as you like that, you're cool with me. ;)

I mean, I honestly don't know precisely why I like it. I've listened to TMV since they formed, so they've always been the ATDI follow up to me. You know what I mean? Also I smoked A LOT of weed as a kid and I just love prog and (SOME) jam bands because it cues that euphoric feeling in my brain. I dunno. Just smoke a doobie and listen to it, you'll like it a lot more I'm sure. I will say that Deloused is (BY FAR) the best TMV album, so as long as you like that, you're cool with me. ;)

Well Deloused and Frances are perfection to me. So I think we're good.

But I'll give Octa a couple listens again, cuz you told me so.

hahaha, that's probably what they want you to do. I really dig the lyrics in this record. "In Absentia" is one i'm really looking forward to hearing on vinyl. The title track is pretty decent too, really the Track I like least is the single..but I thought the video contest they did for it was pretty unique.

Danny, I saw this thread bump and thought I was gonna have to text you another link haha

I personally love ALL of their albums. Octahedron was a little boring to me at first, maybe because I was expecting something more intense to follow Bedlam. But that's what makes them awesome, every album is completely different and you never knew what to expect from them. But after a few listens I really liked it, although I still feel it's they're weakest in comparison with their discography. But the harmonies on that album are amazing, really dig cedrics singing on it. Definitely give Octahedron another shot.

They became my favorite band since the first time I listened to them when Frances came out. Absolutely love that album.

Funny that almost every single person on the Mars Volta forum ha terrible things to say about the sound quality of Noctourniquet. Everyone would always say it sounded like shit, that it was mixed terribly loud and blah blah blah. But I never really noticed. Guess my equipment isn't as high tech to lick up on that. But I will say that the MOV pressing of deloused is by far more superior than the OG ones. Then again, those were technically picture discs and we all know how shitty those always sound. Glad I have good sounding copies now

Just got my copy in! It looks great, haven't got to listen to it. I also got my copy of octahedron on the same day and while I know this isn't the octahedron thread ,I didn't want to give it a bump from 6 years ago. I was surprised to see my octahedron was one disc white and one disc grey ..?. kind of strange considering it was unopened. in all the pictures i've seen, it's two white LP's. Idk, i'll post a picture.

WP_20150519_14_35_09_Pro.jpg

and Noctourniquet to stay true to the threat, can't wait to give this a listen later tonight. I thought the glasses would be a gimmick but you have to have them to read the lyrics really.

WP_20150519_14_39_32_Pro.jpg

Just got my copy in! It looks great, haven't got to listen to it. I also got my copy of octahedron on the same day and while I know this isn't the octahedron thread ,I didn't want to give it a bump from 6 years ago. I was surprised to see my octahedron was one disc white and one disc grey ..?. kind of strange considering it was unopened. in all the pictures i've seen, it's two white LP's. Idk, i'll post a picture.

WP_20150519_14_35_09_Pro.jpg

and Noctourniquet to stay true to the threat, can't wait to give this a listen later tonight. I thought the glasses would be a gimmick but you have to have them to read the lyrics really.

WP_20150519_14_39_32_Pro.jpg

Yo, that's badass. I want that Octahedron!

Also how was yours unopened? Was it in shrink. I remember when these were released they weren't shrink wrapped at all. Just placed in a thick plastic sleeve that said Octahedron on it, but not technically "sealed"

Yeah, no printed sleeve. Just shrink wrapped. I'm reading matrix numbers now. my friend looked up a number on banzaisanzi.blog.shinobi or something. it could be a japanese bootleg?

RLPE-008

EDIT: no. just euro pressing

That's really strange. I have always seen them with the printed sleeve. And that catalog number, RLPE is the European imprint. Which I was unaware was different for this release. The only other time I've seen RLPE is for Xenophanes that was yellow instead of pink like the US version.

This is quite interesting to see