Tomahawk Vinyl Box Set - RSD 2012

archiced

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deathbydrums

I'm thinking that with the number pressed, these really won't be too hard to get filthy paws on... am I wrong? They'll also probably be a bit pricey, keeping potential buyers at bay. ???

$44 for the box - totally reasonable. It's cited in the thread previously.

Kind of doubting stores won't have them marked up for more than this. $44 would be a steal. Crossed fingers.

I paid 45.98 exactly for my special order. I'm sure that stores mark things up, but the RSD MSRP is usually followed by all the stores that I've been to for RSD titles in the past.

First impressions of listening to S/T and Mit Gas, first of all Mit Gas sounds grossly better than S/T. S/T is great but Mit Gas was apparently originally mastered by John Golden and it shows right away on this format. The overall mix is better on Mit Gas as opposed to S/T, I would say.

S/T feels like it has a boost in the low-mid section of the mastering. The vocals seem very up front.

Mit Gas seems to have a superior treble section that adds great clarity and it really shines on the distorted vocals in the verses on "Mayday." That was already a tonal/aural highlight of the album from the CD version and is only amplified on this LP version.

The bass section is great and strong on both albums from what I can recall.

Of course keep in mind that the needle I played S/T on is two years old whereas the needle I played Mit Gas on is only one year old. I'm going to have to play each record back to back on the same table to really know if the sound is actually that superior on Mit Gas or if its just due to the needles.

Have not listened to Anonymous at all yet. I did play a portion of the Jesus Lizard Goat reissue and the sound is absolutely stunning on that record. The instrumentation sounds so live and bold with extreme clarity....makes me think "...if only Steve Albini had produced, mixed, and mastered all the Tomahawk albums...." what a dream that would be.

Correct. Not the J&R. It does look pretty nice but honestly, I feel that the package overall feels a little thin and I'm pretty sure its like that to keep the cost low. I was hoping for gatefold jackets and printed inner sleeves. I wish the vinyl itself had been manufactured by whoever pressed Warpaint's Exquisite Corpse EP and Shadows 12". Those discs are perfect but I'm just being anal as hell about all the aesthetic bullshit. What matters is that the set exists and the sonic aspect is done very well.

Still, I can't help but think what it would have been like if each album had had a vinyl format release at the time of its original release. Probably would have been much more awesome.

Correct. Not the J&R. It does look pretty nice but honestly, I feel that the package overall feels a little thin and I'm pretty sure its like that to keep the cost low. I was hoping for gatefold jackets and printed inner sleeves. I wish the vinyl itself had been manufactured by whoever pressed Warpaint's Exquisite Corpse EP and Shadows 12". Those discs are perfect but I'm just being anal as hell about all the aesthetic bullshit. What matters is that the set exists and the sonic aspect is done very well.

Still, I can't help but think what it would have been like if each album had had a vinyl format release at the time of its original release. Probably would have been much more awesome.

Yeah I can only imagine what a Mit Gas gatefold would look like with foil printing...oh god. Ah well, we can dream. Just going to be awesome to be able to have these to listen to on record. Kinda glad these are single lp too actually.

Had a chance to listen to Anonymous yet?