Oscars question.

gmoney

This is barely related but...

This was a Facebook post of a "friend"

>>So how about the Academy giving Iranians an award just because they're Iranian and nominating an Israeli film to try and cover their asses, pathetic...shameful, I have to remind myself these people all entertain me not educate me<<

Knowing nothing about either film, does this seem like an irrational politically-charged post, or do I not understand.

The replies got heated.

Despite being terrible and me having ZERO desire to see The Artist...

For those that watched it, what song was playing during the Best Picture sequence at the end? Anyone know?

i was wondering myself. i think it's from friday night lights but i don't think it's explosions in the sky. but it could be.

i'm too ADD to watch a silent movie. most of my movie watching is actually movie listening while i'm doing 293874 other things.
Me too.

I used to absolutely LOVE the movie Saving Private Ryan so much that I had most of the script memorized. I watched it once when I was tired, and therefore not doing much else, and I was amazed at a lot of the scenes that I had never actually watched before.

Before I saw who the OP was, I was really hoping who cares? had started this thread.

Hahaha. Luckily it was just a background feature while I was doing work, but it was pretty bad.

Lots of good movies this year, and nothing I really loved got attention.

Although I haven't seen Hugo yet.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':efl2uxn4]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':efl2uxn4]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

>>So how about the Academy giving Iranians an award just because they're Iranian and nominating an Israeli film to try and cover their asses, pathetic...shameful, I have to remind myself these people all entertain me not educate me<<

Knowing nothing about either film, does this seem like an irrational politically-charged post, or do I not understand.

The replies got heated.

Sadly, your "friend" is an idiot. This movie didn't get a 99% on rotten tomatoes by chance. It did so because it's a great film. Just becuase the director happens to be from Iran does not automatically mean that he embodies the views of the government in that country. Anyone who actually listened to his acceptance speach should be able to understand that.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_separation_2011/

Wow. Having just seen Midnight in Paris, I will spare you my full review which would make any fans of it hate me, but I will say it's pretty appalling that it won best original screenplay.

To be fair, I think I literally only saw three movies that came out last year, so perhaps there wasn't much competition.

The replies got heated.

Sadly, your "friend" is an idiot. This movie didn't get a 99% on rotten tomatoes by chance. It did so because it's a great film. Just becuase the director happens to be from Iran does not automatically mean that he embodies the views of the government in that country. Anyone who actually listened to his acceptance speach should be able to understand that.

Yea, that's what I figured. My favorite part of the comments on his status came when he implied something about government censorship, then someone posted a plot-summary of the movie and went, "yep, pure propaganda right there!"

The kid wanted to go to West Point but wasn't accepted, but did some ROTC bit anyway and is in the Army. He's just super-right wing and it bugs me. I haven't really talked to him since HS, he gets closer and closer to being cut from my list every day.

Billy Crystal is definetly not relevant (was he ever?) and was too PG for my taste. Seth Rogan should host it next year because he did a suprisingly fantastic job hosting the independent spirit awards on Saturday.

once they announced crystal, my immediate reaction was "why am i still hearing this guys name in 2012?"

so i went on wiki, to see if maybe, just by chance, he was something really special all these years i didnt know about.

and no, hes nothing special at all. hes just one of those shitty personalities thats been around for way too fkn long.

btw, i didnt watch a second of the oscars. i dont watch movies anymore... they all blow way too hard.

Yea, that's what I figured. My favorite part of the comments on his status came when he implied something about government censorship, then someone posted a plot-summary of the movie and went, "yep, pure propaganda right there!"

The kid wanted to go to West Point but wasn't accepted, but did some ROTC bit anyway and is in the Army. He's just super-right wing and it bugs me. I haven't really talked to him since HS, he gets closer and closer to being cut from my list every day.

I am slowly cutting people from facebook. If they post some stupid stuff about the military or spinning at a club or pictures of their baby they get unfriended.

Woody Allen is a badass. Like a lot of people have pointed out, awards shows are bullshit for the most part and Allen agrees, ''The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don't.'' Love that attitude. He makes movies because it's what he loves to do. That's it.