Magic Eraser to clean stylus

Anybody ever use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean their stylus? Saw a bunch of YouTube videos and read a lot of people online who say it works really well. Already have it, but am hesitant to dip my relatively expensive stylus into it before getting an objective third party's opinion.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it, just looking for a good stylus cleaner since my cartridge is fairly new. Thanks

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I just used it earlier, I only have a magnifying glass but it seems to be a noticeable difference before and after. How often do you guys do this? I listen to a lot of records, just not sure to do it after 5 hours or 50 hours of play

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I just used it earlier, I only have a magnifying glass but it seems to be a noticeable difference before and after. How often do you guys do this? I listen to a lot of records, just not sure to do it after 5 hours or 50 hours of play

whenever it's starting to sound like it should be cleaned.

Just to chime in, the Magic Eraser trick works great ... but as other have mentioned, be careful. It takes a steady hand. You pull back while the stylus is embedded, bye bye stylus.

If you have an automatic tonearm lift, you can glue a small square of Magic Eraser to a quarter or something else that's relatively heavy. With the turntable unplugged (so it won't spin) place the quarter on the platter, move the tonearm to the appropriate position and lower and raise it a couple times. It takes some of the human error out of it.

Or if you're confident enough, just stick a toothpick into a small square and do it by hand. Make sure to get down low so you can see what you're doing and try to steady your arm / hand as much as possible. It's really not difficult.

I used to clean my styluses at the end of each listening session (not necessarily each record). I recently purchased some MoFi stylus cleaner though and now I kinda switch back and forth between the solution and the eraser.

It works! Just be careful to only use up and down motions, not front to back, back to front, or side to side. Do any of those and the stylus will snag on the magic eraser.

Shouldn't it be from back to front like any other stylus cleaner?

It's meant to be played that way.

Personnally, I'll keep my liquid cleaner.

It works! Just be careful to only use up and down motions, not front to back, back to front, or side to side. Do any of those and the stylus will snag on the magic eraser.

Shouldn't it be from back to front like any other stylus cleaner?

It's meant to be played that way.

Personnally, I'll keep my liquid cleaner.

Most of what I read says to not to move the stylus at all, as it will snag on the sponge-like material in any direction. Youre just supposed to gently dip the stylus into the eraser the way you would dip your toes in a pool, straight down. If I wait long enough I can actually see the dirt dust come off with the naked eye, it's quite handy

I've also seen lots of videos saying this method works wonders if done carefully, but have yet to give it a try partly out of fear. Not to drastically alter the thread but any recommendations on vinyl cleaning? I found a site with lots of selection but can't seem to find it anymore (not needle doctor) Have noticed gruv glide seems to get pretty good reviews...

Saw this thread and went out and found a Chux magic eraser tester pack. Had 8 small squares in it. I lowered the arm and held the eraser steady with one hand and with the other hand I held the cartridge just above it and let it go onto the block and then lifted it back up being careful not to move it in any direction. I dropped it on the eraser about 4 to 5 times.

Played some records and WOW. It was THAT much clearer with much less noise. I could see little bits of stuff left on the eraser.

I was brushing after a few records but obviously it was missing all that other goo!

Solid recommendation :)