Hey Travis....

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a store lost their vinyl section it was because they probably werent selling it very well to begin with.

No stores that currently have a vinyl section will be losing that. The CD sections will likely be reduced but the vinyl will be staying and possibly even expanding to some new stores that didnt have a vinyl section before.

can you use your powers to get the HT at Streets of Southpoint Mall in Durham NC to carry vinyl?

If a store lost their vinyl section it was because they probably werent selling it very well to begin with.

No stores that currently have a vinyl section will be losing that. The CD sections will likely be reduced but the vinyl will be staying and possibly even expanding to some new stores that didnt have a vinyl section before.

can you use your powers to get the HT at Panama City Mall in Panama City FL to carry vinyl?

So I went into the Hot Topic that I usually pick up my HT exclusives from and noticed they no longer carried vinyl... Not only that, they didn't even carry cds anymore either. I asked a girl that worked there and she informed me that HT would no longer be selling vinyl or music that wasn't on the top 40... This didn't sound right to me, surely she is just an ill informed HT underling. Can you please give me the low down on this? Are some stores just going to no longer carry vinyl? and if so, why?

what store was this at?

I went into my first hot topic like a month ago in Hawaii. I asked the girl working if they have any records and she didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Once I found them I think they had 2 Throwdown - Haymaker/Vendetta's, 5 Thursday/Envy splits and 2 Deftones records. Pretty disappointing.

It seems some people don't realize that if you don't live in a major city, you're lucky to even have a record store.

I hope most people understand that haha. Also, I would say most, not all, cities that have a hot topic would also likely have a record shop.

and most record shops would carry the stuff you like if you were a good customer of theirs. Of course not every record store is going to carry the latest variants of whatever is cool on their own, but if kids started going in a requesting it and they realized there was a market.......or if you went in and shopped a bunch and were a good customer, almost all record stores would try to get something in for you.

people cant have their own personal record store.

people say all the time. well we have a record store in town, but it doesnt carry much i like, and i havent been in there in 3 years. Well of course they arent going to carry what you like if you arent even a customer of theirs.

Its the reason why some hot topic's stop carrying vinyl. because people would rather sit at home on the computer and complain at how little they have, or just shop at amazon or whatever so the store figures, fuck it....why should we have all these just sitting here.

the more you are your friends buy, the more they will carry. That goes for any store.

It seems some people don't realize that if you don't live in a major city, you're lucky to even have a record store.

I realize it full well - until I moved out of my small town after graduating high school, all I had were the big box outlets being named in this thread (and loved apparently, if theusedguy is an indication) - for the last nine years though, it's been all indie record shops all the way and since I have six of them within walking distance of my place, it's even nicer - I'm in shops several times a week and I couldn't imagine going back to a world where I only had HT (no offense, Travis), FYE and Amazon...

I went into my first hot topic like a month ago in Hawaii. I asked the girl working if they have any records and she didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Once I found them I think they had 2 Throwdown - Haymaker/Vendetta's, 5 Thursday/Envy splits and 2 Deftones records. Pretty disappointing.

Yea it sounds like they arent actually a "HT vinyl store".

There's about 300 stores in the chain that carry vinyl and from what they had on hand it doesnt sound like they were one of those 300 stores.

I hope most people understand that haha. Also, I would say most, not all, cities that have a hot topic would also likely have a record shop.

and most record shops would carry the stuff you like if you were a good customer of theirs. Of course not every record store is going to carry the latest variants of whatever is cool on their own, but if kids started going in a requesting it and they realized there was a market.......or if you went in and shopped a bunch and were a good customer, almost all record stores would try to get something in for you.

people say all the time. well we have a record store in town, but it doesnt carry much i like, and i havent been in there in 3 years. Well of course they arent going to carry what you like if you arent even a customer of theirs.

Its the reason why some hot topic's stop carrying vinyl. because people would rather sit at home on the computer and complain at how little they have, or just shop at amazon or whatever so the store figures, fuck it....why should we have all these just sitting here.

the more you are your friends buy, the more they will carry. That goes for any store.

+1

basic supply and demand. you start showing up at your local record shop more often and chatting with the owner/clerk, and you bet they'll start getting stuff in for you.

I realize it full well - until I moved out of my small town after graduating high school, all I had were the big box outlets being named in this thread (and loved apparently, if theusedguy is an indication) - for the last nine years though, it's been all indie record shops all the way and since I have six of them within walking distance of my place, it's even nicer - I'm in shops several times a week and I couldn't imagine going back to a world where I only had HT (no offense, Travis), FYE and Amazon...

I basically have Banquet Records and Amazon here in the UK. My local music store was tiny and had to shut in January. Nearest independent shop now is Brighton or London (both about 2.5 hrs from me). Half the time it's cheaper to order from the States than in the UK.

I wish the worst for hot topic. shop at a record store or if you don't have one in your town, buy direct or from a distro.

Jeez. At least they put out some good releases.

Not really trying to hate on HT, I've bought a decent amount of records when they have sales and clearances (not to mention they're the closest "record" store to me back home), but all the albums they get "exclusive rights" or whatever to are on Universal; I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely that a major label is going to license anything to a little indie label (unless you count MTS, but look how that went...). They're going to license to a big corporation capable of mass distribution with millions (?) of shoppers. David doesn't really stand a chance against Goliath of getting any Thrice album pressed.