Digital Streaming

I'm not sure how the rest of the country is....but when I lived in Tuscaloosa, we thought about doing this, just getting Internet from the cable company and doing a streaming box thing....the problem we had was Comcast was going to charge us more for just internet by itself....it was like $10-$15 cheaper to get a package with High-Speed cable internet and basic digital cable (we didn't get a nice High-Def TV until X-Mas of this year so we weren't doing all the premium channels or High-Def box or a DVR box)....I'd imagine the rest of the country isn't like this, but that was our big reason for not going with one

Someone told me I should get rid of cable and get a wifi video streaming system. Any suggestions or opinions? Anyone have one? Can I watch current shows or nfl games with this?

I don't have cable. Generally I get torrents off a tv torrent website for some of my shows, but since xbox added Hulu Plus I use that for a good portion of my shows. During NFL season I have an antennae that I'm able to pull in both Chicago and Milwaukee Fox, CBS, and NBC games which gives me a lot of options. Baseball season I subscribe to MLB.tv which is being added to xbox as well. But I have used my roku box in past years to watch baseball. Movies I'm strictly on Netflix DVDs by mail/streaming as well as the occasional redbox free coupon or just paying the $1.20 to rent it. Its been pretty simple to me not having cable, plus if you do the torrent thing, no commercials.

I'm not sure how the rest of the country is....but when I lived in Tuscaloosa, we thought about doing this, just getting Internet from the cable company and doing a streaming box thing....the problem we had was Comcast was going to charge us more for just internet by itself....it was like $10-$15 cheaper to get a package with High-Speed cable internet and basic digital cable (we didn't get a nice High-Def TV until X-Mas of this year so we weren't doing all the premium channels or High-Def box or a DVR box)....I'd imagine the rest of the country isn't like this, but that was our big reason for not going with one

that wouldnt be a problem for me, i have different providers for each. there arent many shows that i would miss (i could always download them). to me it is more about the NFL games.

that wouldnt be a problem for me, i have different providers for each. there arent many shows that i would miss (i could always download them). to me it is more about the NFL games.

that's awesome

There is no current reliable way to get NFL games streaming, outside of Sunday Ticket with PS3, and that ain't cheap. It does however, give you a decent excuse to daydrink at a bar every Sunday, if that is your thing.

Television shows are easier but coverage is spotty. Hulu+ has a decent amount, Netflix has a few, and a decent back catalogue. iTunes is a possibility as well, but depending on your watching habits you could easily exceed your cable bill. Industry wide things are making progress but it still just isn't that easy or economical. All the proprietary bullshit making exclusive content acquisitions makes it a headache for the consumer.

If you don't watch a lot of series than torrents work, gets to be a pain otherwise.

I am not aware of any streaming service that offers live sports. But I would pay $20+ a month for a service that combines what Netflix has with a basic sports package.

THIS.

i would be 100% content with torrenting everything i watch, but sports pose the only real issue there.

I've been doing this for years. I connect my PC to my TV with an HDMI cable and stream everything from the internet. Sports, TV shows, everything that's not on regular broadcast antenna. I also use my PS3 to stream downloaded movies and shows to my TV.

It really depends on how picky you are about video quality. Of course it's far from the best but it saves me $90 a month in cable costs.

If you don't watch a lot of series than torrents work, gets to be a pain otherwise.

I watch a ton of shows, and I've never found it to be a pain to keep up with downloading the shows. I guess since I've been doing it for so many years now I don't see the difficulty in doing this, but maybe it gets tiresome for some people. It also probably helps that I use a very organized torrent site.

Keep in mind, that you (probably) have a data usage cap from your internet provider. For example, I get 200 gigs a month of data at home. If you exceed it, you have to pay for the overage, or move to a more expensive tier. So, if you watch a lot of movies/hulu/netflix, it can add up quick. Especially if you're pulling down blu-ray quality.

When putting my new entertainment system together, I opted to include a 2 Tb external hard drive. I back up all my movies and shows to that, and then play them off the hard drive. I thought about getting a WDtv Live or a Roku box, but I can actually access a lot of those streaming service apps (netflix/pandora/etc) through my tv or blu-ray player. So far it seems to be working pretty well.

My tv and blu-ray also have web browsers, but I haven't found them to be that useful, or easy to navigate. If you go full on htPC like kgry, you could use a keyboard and mouse, which would inevitably be easier.

I watch a ton of shows, and I've never found it to be a pain to keep up with downloading the shows. I guess since I've been doing it for so many years now I don't see the difficulty in doing this, but maybe it gets tiresome for some people. It also probably helps that I use a very organized torrent site.

Mind sharing what torrent sites u use? Or pm me some ideas? I only know good music sites(what.cd is what i use mostly) Thanks!