RSD Let-Downs?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah this year waterloo in austin was much crazier than last year. we got there an hour early than last time and were a few further back in line. by 10 the line was wrapped around the store/block.

within of one minute of being inside (we were around 10th in line) the whole place was swarmed and people squeezing through aisles. it was a crazy and waterloo is a big store. wish they would open earlier and stagger the crowd or something. let in the first 50, then the next, and so on so forth. waited a good hour in the checkout line.

Waterloo was INSANE. I only wanted Pete Townshend and Devo, and by the time I got inside, Devo was gone. I had Pete Townsend in my hand and couldn't even find the end of the line, but I saw that they still had copies of his 10" from the Black Friday RSD, so I put it back and went to End of an Ear to buy the Doctor Who Sound Effects LP assuming that Waterloo wouldn't sell out of it. I went back at about 12:30pm and was in and out of with Pete Townshend in hand in about two minutes. Crazy what a difference a few hours can make!

So far, no buyer's remorse for me, though!

Now making albums previously not available on LP... I'm all for that.

^100% agreed.

Couple things are RSD letdowns to me. Price is obviously one of the the big ones, there so much stuff that's way over priced. I will say that there were a few fair ones though. I had no problem with $40 for the Tomahawk set. The other letdown on RSD is the childish assholes that come out and get pushy. Jerseydave and a few others have mentioned that their shops do everything in order and there's none of that free for all horseshit. All my shops are free for alls and it gets pretty damn crazy. The RSD people should encourage all stores to have single file lines and let people look through the crates in order. They could offer small perks for shops that do so. I know that won't happen but it would be nice.

Long in the Tooth had all the RSD releases behind the counter so if you wanted those you got in line at the counter as inquired there, but if you wanted to look through their regular stock you could. Seemed like a good system to me.

I really don't like how much releases that would come out normally get jacked way up in price just because of RSD. Case in point the new Death Grips album, which should be under $20 because it's a single LP but it's around $22-24 everywhere I saw. I've come to accept $20 single LPs from major labels and Hydra Head, and that's why I rarely buy their releases.

I went to a bunch of places including Dimple. The Broadway location.

Stopped by the one on Broadway at lunch today to see the damage and I ran into piratesprayer there. He said it was ridiculous the way they just shoved everything into that one wall of racks and let people go at it. Grabby-hands everywhere.

I don't have any regrets, although Feistodon did suck.

Sort of privileged, but I had someone use my store credit at the store I work at and get me the things I wanted (they showed up 3 hours before doors opened). Then I worked the door at another shop for store credit and was able to pick over the stuff before the customers.

I got everything and more for very little actual money.

But, someone said it elsewhere and it's true: RSD is the new Black Friday.

I went to a bunch of places including Dimple. The Broadway location.

Stopped by the one on Broadway at lunch today to see the damage and I ran into piratesprayer there. He said it was ridiculous the way they just shoved everything into that one wall of racks and let people go at it. Grabby-hands everywhere.

Yesterday, they had a table set up right near the entrance with most of the LPs on it and then a separate spot for the 7s. They may have put em all out with the regular goods by now.

prices are always my beef, and not quite finding everything. and obviously Hydra Head gouging, christ. $20+ for a single LP of an EP, kinda sad but after getting the Clouds 4 song 12" last year for $18, i shouldn't complain. i almost wanted the Pelican repress until i saw it was over $30. insane. RSD really is just an excuse to release limited shit super marked up and the major labels get their pockets lined because the CD industry is so dead. i'm glad indie labels are participating, even if their prices are somewhat shitty at times. Death Grips LP was SO overpriced, i'm not even sure i want to keep my copy at this point.

best parts are Destroyer's Rubies, the Freakwater album getting the vinyl treatment, and the Mclusky repress! i can't wait to throw those on. i'm really hoping someday an Emiliana Torrini "Fisherman's Woman" repress is coming out. i would loveeee if Catherine Irwin's "Cut Yourself A Switch" would get the vinyl treatment.

price gouging IS fucking lame, and probably the worst part about rsd. not to mention the day as a whole is like a flippers fucking guaranteed lottery pay-out.

but like someone mentioned, getting things on vinyl that have never seen the treatment is nice. but doesnt that always usually happen throughout the year? i feel like RSD is just a good excuse for some to do it cause they know it will be guaranteed madnes and a quick buck.

prices are always my beef, and not quite finding everything. and obviously Hydra Head gouging, christ. $20+ for a single LP of an EP, kinda sad but after getting the Clouds 4 song 12" last year for $18, i shouldn't complain. i almost wanted the Pelican repress until i saw it was over $30. insane. RSD really is just an excuse to release limited shit super marked up and the major labels get their pockets lined because the CD industry is so dead. i'm glad indie labels are participating, even if their prices are somewhat shitty at times. Death Grips LP was SO overpriced, i'm not even sure i want to keep my copy at this point.

best parts are Destroyer's Rubies, the Freakwater album getting the vinyl treatment, and the Mclusky repress! i can't wait to throw those on. i'm really hoping someday an Emiliana Torrini "Fisherman's Woman" repress is coming out. i would loveeee if Catherine Irwin's "Cut Yourself A Switch" would get the vinyl treatment.

How is the packaging of Death Grips? Is it single pocket, white inner, and DL code? What's funny is I'm spinning my copy of Foo Fighters's "There is Nothing Left to Lose" which cost as much as the Death Grips album and is a double LP so the price is somewhat justified.

I went a few different places, mainly looking for the Misfits Walk Among Us. I found 1 copy, which was marked up to $25. I saw another in the display case and asked the guy if I could buy it and he said "1 per person" (which is fair) and I asked if he could hold it for my friend who was on the way and some lady butted in and said she would buy it right then and there (after telling her bf she didn't want it a minute before).

Other then that success in all the things I was looking for except the Flaming Lips/Mastodon split which I still really want. I wouldn't have minded finding some of the Third Man Records releases either but I got a late start and am overall satisfied. This was my first time participating and will be better organized next year.

Hydra Head gouging, christ. $20+ for a single LP of an EP, kinda sad but after getting the Clouds 4 song 12" last year for $18, i shouldn't complain. Death Grips LP was SO overpriced, i'm not even sure i want to keep my copy at this point.

I ordered Clouds when they put them online a few days before RSD because I didn't think any of my shops would get it. Well, I regret paying that high price because a local chain got them and they didn't sell at all. They were marked down to $5.99 last I saw a few months back. Oh well.

I'm waiting on the Death Grips LP since it's one of those "RSD first" releases and will be available later.

uh, the worst price gouging I saw was done by src (not including flippers). And they're not even an actual record store. This stuff was on the pricier side but I can handle an $18-20 lp morethan I can an $8-10 7".

it's only really certain things. lots of stores are guilty of the online gouging on leftovers. look at Looney Tunes, tons of markup and high shipping...and you don't get a say in what your order will be. you take the risk of getting 1 thing for $10 shipping if they're out of stock of everything you ordered.

saw some really decent prices on the Reckless RSD stuff, too bad nothing was there that interested me. also, 1-2-3-4 Go! had some decent stuff leftover and fair prices. i just laughed at the SRC prices, some were $10-15 over what any store charged.