Sold a record on eBay, USPS bent it in half

Packed it up all nice an everything.

Now the buyer is pissed and wants a refund. Even though they didn't pay for insurance, I'm reading eBay TOS and it seems like this is still somehow my fault.

Is there anything I can do, or am I pretty much fucked and out of a record and money on this one.

I don't see what stops a buyer from bending the package themselves when they get it and then filing a claim through eBay. It's not like USPS would respond one way or the other or have some sort of proof that they didn't bend it.

I bought a Kindle on eBay once and the seller shipped it completely bare inside of a huge bubble mailer with no extra padding. Needless to say the kindle arrived with a cracked screen, and the seller was a huge dick and said that he offered insurance (when he clearly didn't) and that I declined so it was my fault and he would only give a half refund for it. He basically came out and accused me of cracking it myself too in email and also when he left feedback. Needless to say, eBay gave me my full refund.

But yeah, shittily enough everything is always weighted in favor of the buyer in these types of situations, although eBay handles these things on a "case by case" basis. Maybe in the future USPS can implement a system where there's some sort of verification of the condition of the package upon sending / receiving.

Until then, the seller should offer insurance and make it VERY clear through email/message that the package CANNOT be guaranteed otherwise. If the seller doesn't do this the buyer can't really be faulted for not randomly including extra money for shipping insurance when they weren't offered it in the first place. Just my two cents.

I don't see what stops a buyer from bending the package themselves when they get it and then filing a claim through eBay. It's not like USPS would respond one way or the other or have some sort of proof that they didn't bend it.

But yeah, shittily enough everything is always weighted in favor of the buyer in these types of situations, although eBay handles these things on a "case by case" basis. Maybe in the future USPS can implement a system where there's some sort of verification of the condition of the package upon sending / receiving.

Until then, the seller should offer insurance and make it VERY clear through email/message that the package CANNOT be guaranteed otherwise. If the seller doesn't do this the buyer can't really be faulted for not randomly including extra money for shipping insurance when they weren't offered it in the first place. Just my two cents.

I bought a Kindle on eBay once and the seller shipped it completely bare inside of a huge bubble mailer with no extra padding. Needless to say the kindle arrived with a cracked screen, and the seller was a huge dick and said that he offered insurance (when he clearly didn't) and that I declined so it was my fault and he would only give a half refund for it. He basically came out and accused me of cracking it myself too in email and also when he left feedback. Needless to say, eBay gave me my full refund.

All a buyer has to do is say it's bent. The seller, assuming it was a price not worth the hastle, will have no choice but to refund while the buyer keeps the record.

It's a dumb system. I think the risk should be on the buyer, not the seller. Or at least factor in feedback. I'm dealing with a case right now where the guy says he didn't get it. We have 200+ feedback each. He doesn't doubt I sent it, and I don't doubt that he didn't receive it. But he refuses to compromise, wants a full refund, and I'll have no choice but to give it. I pay out my ass in fees, Ebay should be able to tell I'm not going to not send somthing and cover the cost.

All a buyer has to do is say it's bent. The seller, assuming it was a price not worth the hastle, will have no choice but to refund while the buyer keeps the record.

It's a dumb system. I think the risk should be on the buyer, not the seller. Or at least factor in feedback. I'm dealing with a case right now where the guy says he didn't get it. We have 200+ feedback each. He doesn't doubt I sent it, and I don't doubt that he didn't receive it. But he refuses to compromise, wants a full refund, and I'll have no choice but to give it. I pay out my ass in fees, Ebay should be able to tell I'm not going to not send somthing and cover the cost.

Well, a seller should never refund anything without receiving a product back first. If a buyer is unhappy with a product I always offer a full refund, as long as they mail the item back and I receive it in the condition they claim it's in. If they don't want to mail it back but still want a refund they can file a claim but eBay will still make them send the item back with tracking before issuing a refund, and also refund all seller fees that may have been charged to the account. So it's not a "dumb system" but it's not without its flaws.

As for your other problem, did you get a DC#? It's only 75 cents or something at the PO and should be covered in the $4 shipping cost on eBay. You may have learned this lesson the hard way but always always always get tracking! If you send internationally make sure to give rates for both parcel post and registered air mail. That way if the buyer declines any higher postal service with tracking, eBay will see it in the case and it would weigh more in the sellers favor.

Well, a seller should never refund anything without receiving a product back first. If a buyer is unhappy with a product I always offer a full refund, as long as they mail the item back and I receive it in the condition they claim it's in. If they don't want to mail it back but still want a refund they can file a claim but eBay will still make them send the item back with tracking before issuing a refund, and also refund all seller fees that may have been charged to the account. So it's not a "dumb system" but it's not without its flaws.

As for your other problem, did you get a DC#? It's only 75 cents or something at the PO and should be covered in the $4 shipping cost on eBay. You may have learned this lesson the hard way but always always always get tracking! If you send internationally make sure to give rates for both parcel post and registered air mail. That way if the buyer declines any higher postal service with tracking, eBay will see it in the case and it would weigh more in the sellers favor.

This is very good to know, thanks

I thought that the buyer was supposed to pay extra for insurance in order to be protected, but knowing ebay it was probably a crock of shit. This is one of the many reasons I refuse to sell on ebay...the extra money potential is nowhere near worth the potential hassle.

I thought that the buyer was supposed to pay extra for insurance in order to be protected, but knowing ebay it was probably a crock of shit. This is one of the many reasons I refuse to sell on ebay...the extra money potential is nowhere near worth the potential hassle.

If you buy something on eBay, you get sent an invoice from the seller with the exact amount you are supposed to pay for the item + shipping. A buyer can't magically figure out how much insurance costs on their own, and if they aren't offered it to begin with the only assumption is that it isn't offered, period. So if the package arrives damaged they are in the right because they never had a choice of shipping options. Sure, they could go out of their way to message the seller and ask about it, but it's really not their responsibility to do that.

This is why it's important as a seller to specify EXACT amounts for regular/priorty shipping, even when shipping domestically, so that the buyer knows exactly the service they are getting. Let them know in plain english that if they choose the cheaper shipping option the package will not be guaranteed. That way if it arrives f'ed up, the seller cannot be held liable. The invoice will show both shipping options and the buyer chose the cheaper one on their own accord, fully knowing the package and its condition isn't guaranteed. I've won multiple eBay cases as a seller because of this simple procedure.

Really shitty that eBay also took away the option to add insurance on a listing. With records being at a $4.00 maximum shipping, there needs to be a line option to add insurance with the price for that. eBay looks at insurance as either being covered in that $4.00 or on the seller. You can put it in the description of the listing, but I am sure most people will play dumb and ebay (as usual) will side in favor of the buyer.

I used to hate this policy when ebay started to mess with it until it was explained from a different perspective. If you buy something from Amazon.com or ANY online retailer, they are responsible for the item until it gets to you safely, regardless of whether you purchase insurance or not (which generally isn't an option on most e-commerce websites). The fact that individual ebay sellers want the buyer to be responsible for items damaged in transit is not providing good service as a seller. You can state it all you want in the auction, but technically, the buyer would be in the right every single time if you did not insure the package yourself. You as a seller are providing a service and if you don't want to take ownership for what you are selling when you entrust it to a shipping service, then you may want to rethink selling things that require shipping. At the very least, if you have an expensive item, factor the price of insurance into your asking price (and note that as such in your posting).

I always take a picture of my package, with the sellers address clearly visible at the post office before I mail it (they look at you funny, but whatever). One time, a buyer tried to pull this on me, and tried to file a claim. I provided a picture of the package with the stamp/delivery conf on it, and pretty much said I had fulfilled my part of the bargain and it was beyond my control. I won the case.

This happened to me about a month ago. It's worse than it looks:

[image]

Wow. I wish everyone packed records like a tank with 2 pieces of cardboard inside a mailer and bubble wrap and wrote "do not bend" on it. This is ridiculous. I haven't personally had any problems with USPS, but damn that's messed up.

GOD I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN THEY PUT MY RECORDS IN THE MAILBOX LIKE THAT!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but my mailpeople did that shit to me and you can't even get it out through the front of the box without bending it. I eventually started cutting/ripping the box open while it was inside the mailbox so I could get the record out without risking damage from bending.

Wow. I wish everyone packed records like a tank with 2 pieces of cardboard inside a mailer and bubble wrap and wrote "do not bend" on it. This is ridiculous. I haven't personally had any problems with USPS, but damn that's messed up.

To be fair, it was a $5 7", and the seller is someone on the boards, he mailed it in stiff cardboard, wrote "Do not bend" on it, and offered me free shipping on a future order because the USPS fucked it up.

GOD I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN THEY PUT MY RECORDS IN THE MAILBOX LIKE THAT!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but my mailpeople did that shit to me and you can't even get it out through the front of the box without bending it. I eventually started cutting/ripping the box open while it was inside the mailbox so I could get the record out without risking damage from bending.

It's bent, clearly, but like you said, I had to bend it more to get it out.

I have a regular guy that brings LPs to my door and is polite. I tell him all the time he's the best and the rest are douches. Unfortunately, they switch him around a lot and I get the laziest bastards that leave slips to pick up at the post office.

This happens all the time. Paypal will tell you its your fault as well. Even when you offer the customer insurance and they decline.

Sometimes I swear USPS purposely bends them in half! We had a USPS rep put a pizza on the package. I suspect a WHOLE pizza. The customers records were soaked in pizza grease. It went right through the box. That happened about 8 months ago. I complained over and over as for that is COMPLETELY unacceptable and COMPLETELY avoidable. We still had to pay for the records. USPS did nothing.