Riot Fest Chicago 2012

someone convince me to go, because the girl just figured out how fucked her ex/baby daddy can be and ruined her chances of going. also, her "friend" was holding her ticket hostage anyway. and the PR we were applying with trying to get photo passes through also have not been able to give us a straight answer for working the show. pretty sure that clock has run out of time.

I'm essentially going solo, if I don't just sell my 2 day pass. help! I need someone to make me go tomorrow after work.

1. I'll be there

2. Honky Tonk Man will be there

3. Heisel, Cesar, Paul, Kriss, and more will be there.

1. I'll be there

2. Honky Tonk Man will be there

3. Heisel, Cesar, Paul, Kriss, and more will be there.

word. I'm already here dude. you'll be fine, I've been here since Tuesday (crashing with Kriss and Mellie), they live 4 blocks from the park, NOTHING has happened and have had such a great time. Also, Mike we NEED to hang my dude!

Friday = Best Day EVAR! SO WORTH IT TO GET THE 3-DAY. But Seriously I'm fairly happy with the lineup and that I got the 2-day early bird passes.

Actually found the 3 day to be a bit of a scam. Sure you got to see Offspring (no interest) and NOFX tonight but the secret shows were allowed to sell individual tickets and totally overbooked 3/4 of the lines werent even allowed into Alkaline Trio and Naked Raygun last night. Next year ill definitely be going with just the 2 day pass at 1/2 the cost.

Well, if any of you jerks saw a dude in a Wonder Years shirt with a lady in a Manic Street Preachers shirt lugging around a 3 and a half week old baby with some tiny pink earmuffs, you saw me.

Granted, we only stuck around for Hot Water, a little bit of Andrew WK, and left after The Gaslight Anthem, but we were there!

We may show up tomorrow for Elvis, Trio, Gogol and The Stooges, but that's completely up to the wife and how she feels.

Actually found the 3 day to be a bit of a scam. Sure you got to see Offspring (no interest) and NOFX tonight but the secret shows were allowed to sell individual tickets and totally overbooked 3/4 of the lines werent even allowed into Alkaline Trio and Naked Raygun last night. Next year ill definitely be going with just the 2 day pass at 1/2 the cost.

The main perk of the 3 day pass last year and I would imagine this year is the re-entry. If you don't want to pay the prices they're charging at the fest, it's a wallet saver. Then again, last year and in other past years, they were great for show-hopping, like last year, the wife and I caught the Menzingers' set at Congress before heading out to my Aunt and Uncle's 50th anniversary celebration, and came back into the city to the Beat Kitchen to catch the Dead To Me/Sundowner show that Toby was allowing free entry for to everyone with a Riot Fest wrist band.

Ah well. Live and learn, eh?

Today wore me out something fierce. Andrew WK was a hoot. I wish I had a telephoto camera lens so I could have made animated gifs of Heisel's sweet dance moves. Slapstick and Coheed were both great, and the Descendents freaking killed it. All the people running around covered in red koolaid were from Gwar's set, yes?

Tomorrow, if you see a guy that looks like my avatar, wearing a black Gilead tee and cargo shorts, say hi. Planning on hitting Horton Heat, Promise Ring, Jesus and Mary Chain, Elvis Costello, Alkaline Trio, and maybe Iggy tomorrow.

full band! I saw Gwar, OWTH, Larry & His Flask, Andrew WK, Minus The Bear, Teenage Bottlerocket, A Wilhelm Scream, Deals Gone Bad, The Gaslight Anthem, Slapstick, Dropkick Murphys and ended Descendents by getting pickpocketed in the pit. what a way to kill a night, thankfully my wallet and cards minus cash were on the ground afterwards.

Trio were awesome! They still had nearly 10 minutes of set time left when they ended though.

NOFX were great, even though Mike's voice was halfway gone.

Promise Ring sounded good but had probably the smallest crowd of any of the big mainstage bands. No "Wood/Water" tracks, either.

EMily and I decided we should stay home tonight. I passed on our tickets to a dad wanting to take his 9 year old son to see Elvis and Iggy. Guy was offering $50 on Craigslist for the tickets, and I told him I'd take ten to cover the gas it took to rush down to the loop and back up with my infant, and we'd call it even. And Emily got to rest in quiet for that time! It was a win for everyone involved!

Hope everyone enjoyed tonight!

Promise Ring sounded good but had probably the smallest crowd of any of the big mainstage bands. No "Wood/Water" tracks, either.

Yeah that bummed me out, although I've already seen them quite a few times in the past year where they have played Wood/Water but Davey's voice was sounding really good and I was hoping for something from that album.

that Stooges show left everything else over the entire weekend in the dust - Mike Watt was a feral animal, snarling as he ground out his bass and their new drummer looks to be fitting in just fine. Iggy was great - though wild in action, seems to have really mellowed in recent years with his getting teenyboppers to rush the stage and letting them take pictures with their phones as he posed and screamed.

aside from that, tons of great stuff this weekend including Nobunny, The Adicts, Andrew W.K. (second runner up for best show), The Descendents (third runner), WHITE MYSTERY (check them out on today's episode of the Notes and Bolts Podcast!), Less Than Jake and Elvis Costello.

Jesus and Mary Chain were fairly tepid and seemed to be actively avoiding the acknowledgement that Psychocandy as a record even exists, deigning to avoid it altogether and bypassing not only the popular tune on it, but any and all deep cuts as well. Kind of a bummer.

Overall, great weekend.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Imagine Dragon's set. I think they were the best of the weekend. I was disappointed bu Frank Turner and him being two hours late to the Cobra Lounge show and then playing the same set the next day. Less Than Jake, Descendants, and NOFX has great sets. The best part of the weekend was seeing my wife's face through the GWAR set. She had no idea what they were like.

Had too much fun. Slapstick was the highlight for me.

My only issues were the park entrances (Bought my tickets through Fan Found and they didn't mention you had to go to a tent to exchange them and Saturday the entrance that I went through Friday wasn't open so I had to walk around to the main one), the one stage that was separate from the rest took a little while to get to (Chiodos/August Burns Red/A Day To Remember/Coheed), some of the acts on the main stages were really quiet, lack of water spots (I only saw one), and the standard "beer prices were too high."

And the neighborhood is pretty shitty. When walking to the entrance Sunday a guy yelled out his window to a girl in front of me and was like hey girl hey girl I am going to fuck you so hard you like that.

For the first year at the location it ran pretty smooth though all my complaints are pretty minor and the awesome bands more than made up for it.