making the bus monitor cry.

If I came into $600,000 for no reason, I garauntee a huge chunk of it is going to other people.

I'm in a suburban school district and talking back happens every period in some capacity. Your less-than-model students will outright threaten people, including teachers, with regular occurance. Even in my tame district, physical confrontations have happened. There's a kid I talked to on Thursday who is 15 in 8th grade because he was kicked out of school twice, once for throwing a chair and hitting a teacher and another time for punching a teacher in the face. You head into the city and it increases with frequency and intensity.

I don't care what state of mind you're in, you can't let a student outright insult you or it WILL escalate. If she couldn't deal with it, she needed to get up and move to the front of the bus and let the kids have their laughs and ignore it like she wanted to while she was sitting there. You can tell she's outright bad at her job on the average day because her verbal response was, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," and we know how effective that turned out to be. If she was going to respond, it has to be with something that actually might have an effect.

her response was weak because of the state of mind she was in im sure, that still does not mean you know her ability for her work, plain and simple. I don't doubt (or already know) what you are stating. Like I said the real problems I have are the fact you are evaluating this woman based upon your ignorance, that you seem to be blaming her for the attention other people are giving her, and that for some reason you are unable to feel even the slightest bit sad for her.

I'm with you mcm1610! As a middle school teacher myself, one has to stop the kind of shit the kids were doing right at the start! You can't just sit there and take it and then hope it gets better. Kids bully and it's up to the adult to firmly stop it whatever way one can.

I'm sure there's more to the story than we all know, but I think that it's pretty fucking crazy that it would take me about 13 years of teaching to make $600,000.

her response was weak because of the state of mind she was in im sure, that still does not mean you know her ability for her work, plain and simple. I don't doubt (or already know) what you are stating. Like I said the real problems I have are the fact you are evaluating this woman based upon your ignorance, that you seem to be blaming her for the attention other people are giving her, and that for some reason you are unable to feel even the slightest bit sad for her.

You're right, I don't know the woman, but you can see from her response there that she didn't revert to any de-escalation technique that might work which shows that she doesn't have the experience in that situation to have it be a natural reaction. Her reaction showed that she does not know how to handle it, no matter what state of mind she's in.

Again, I'll say I feel for her that kids picked on her and definitely feel that the kids are assholes, but that's as far as my sympathy goes. She let it get that far, no matter what her state of mind, and now people are making her out to be some saint who was abused.

You're right, I don't know the woman, but you can see from her response there that she didn't revert to any de-escalation technique that might work which shows that she doesn't have the experience in that situation to have it be a natural reaction. Her reaction showed that she does not know how to handle it, no matter what state of mind she's in.

Again, I'll say I feel for her that kids picked on her and definitely feel that the kids are assholes, but that's as far as my sympathy goes. She let it get that far, no matter what her state of mind, and now people are making her out to be some saint who was abused.

I can understand how you can gather that from that one video. I just have a hard time believing that she doesn't know how to do her job based on one instance simply because we don't know all the facts and factors. Then again I know a lot of teachers with more "ability" and power that are incredibly unqualified. That bullcrap aside, people are reacting crazy to this. That's human nature though especially when strong emotions are involved. Side note out of curiosity, where, what, and what grade level do you teach?

I'm at the bottom of the totem-pole here, so I bounce around classes every year. I teach in a first-ring suburb of Buffalo, social studies.

For reference, in NYS:

-9th grade is Global 9 - World History up til ~Enlightenment.

-10th grade is Global 10, picking up where 9th grade left off, excluding the US.

-11th grade is US history

-12th grade is 1/2 year economics, 1/2 year "Participation in Government"

Two years ago I taught 12th grade and a section of 10th grade special ed. This past year it was 9th grade. Upcoming I've got 9th and 10th. Before I got my own classroom, I subbed two years in another first-ring suburb, but this one just off the east-side of Buffalo, and that one was essentially a city school. I spent a lot of time in the middle school there because some of the 7th grade teachers loved me. I hate middle school... it's all attitude and hormones and the belief that they are grown up because they made it out of 5th grade.

My favorite teaching moment ever was when this 4-ft tall black kid in 7th grade was shit-talking some kid across the room and I told him to sit down. He instantly forgot about the kid he was being an ass towards and looked at me and goes, "you can't tell me what to do, I'm a grown-ass man!" I lost it, I broke out laughing and the kid was dead serious.

the only reason i agree with mcm is because i endured words worse than this on a daily basis during the 8 years of middle school and high school, and nobody gave me a million dollars.

also yeah, she could have sent these kids to the back of the bus and told them to shut up, or even made the driver pull over til they stopped.

thats how monitors handled abuse or disrespect when i was a kid, so long as it was directed twards them, that is.

they always seemed to ignore kid on kid bullying.

reguardless of her personal "feelings" at any time, (sure, dead husband, dead son) if your job is to kick ass, you kick fucking ass, brah.

This isn't a tragedy. It was miserable and the response is more an indication of people sick of a culture where an adult takes abuse like this at the hands of shitty kids because they hold so little authority or power. If she responded with one harsh comment she could be written up and with unemployment so high I'm certain people are taking more shit in the workplace so as to give no excuse to be fired.

She doesn't deserve that much money and I still hope she creates a scholarship. What we are seeing is a reaction from people like myself who are pissed at the state of crappy parents and a society so worried about Political Correctness and lawsuits that few are willing to take action.

I'm at the bottom of the totem-pole here, so I bounce around classes every year. I teach in a first-ring suburb of Buffalo, social studies.

For reference, in NYS:

-9th grade is Global 9 - World History up til ~Enlightenment.

-10th grade is Global 10, picking up where 9th grade left off, excluding the US.

-11th grade is US history

-12th grade is 1/2 year economics, 1/2 year "Participation in Government"

Two years ago I taught 12th grade and a section of 10th grade special ed. This past year it was 9th grade. Upcoming I've got 9th and 10th. Before I got my own classroom, I subbed two years in another first-ring suburb, but this one just off the east-side of Buffalo, and that one was essentially a city school. I spent a lot of time in the middle school there because some of the 7th grade teachers loved me. I hate middle school... it's all attitude and hormones and the belief that they are grown up because they made it out of 5th grade.

My favorite teaching moment ever was when this 4-ft tall black kid in 7th grade was shit-talking some kid across the room and I told him to sit down. He instantly forgot about the kid he was being an ass towards and looked at me and goes, "you can't tell me what to do, I'm a grown-ass man!" I lost it, I broke out laughing and the kid was dead serious.

i hate to be that guy but what was the reason for mentioning that he was black ?

i just don't really see how it's necessary to mention and could've easily been taken out of context. no big deal

Just curious, but if I don't mention his skin color, would you picture him as black or white? I'm guessing most people on this board interact with significantly more white people than black, so the default picture in their mind would be of a white boy.

It's not teenagers, it's middle schoolers. Middle school is just a mix of posturing, egos, insecurity, and discovery which manifests itself in brutal ways.

I know teachers who absolutely love it because of that mix and their opportunity to shape it, but good god, it's more effort than it's worth in my opinion.

i say this based on the time i spend working at six flags. theyre all such insufferable little punks, and theyre all exactly the same.

one guy working at a game booth next to me last week was on his little microphone, and yelled out to a group asking if they were having a good time. the pretty girl in front of the group laughed at him and called him fat. the rest laughed. i would have given anything for a ride to malfunction, and a "ghost ship" to occur right then and there to all of them.