making the bus monitor cry.

I caught an ABC News national broadcast video of this "incident" and here's my thoughts.

Again, fuck these kids.

BUT!

The woman clearly sucks at her job. She's on that bus to make sure kids aren't fucking around and harassing people. They targeted her, so she obviously was aware of it, and she said NOTHING! She sat there and tried to ignore it and look out the window. She even said in the interview she tried to ignore them and hope they'd go away. They didn't, because they knew they were getting to her and she didn't try to stop them. Her job is to prevent bullying, and she's obviously terrible at it, and it escalated because of that. I'd put every cent I own on the fact that it's been an escalating thing for 9 months because she didn't deal with earlier incidents effectively.

I work with kids every day between teaching, working for my town parks department, and coaching multiple teams. This shit happens EVERY day, but it does not escalate because someone intervenes, whether it's the kid/person being bullied, a peer or bystander, or an adult. If you just sit there and take it like she did, things get out of hand.

Yes, it sucks that this happened. It sucks that the kids are idiots and assholes. But I have a very hard time finding sympathy for her and it's disgusting that she's about to get $500,000 for sucking at her job. She better not keep more than a thousand or two, and even that is disgusting. It all better end up given to charity.

I caught an ABC News national broadcast video of this "incident" and here's my thoughts.

Again, fuck these kids.

BUT!

The woman clearly sucks at her job. She's on that bus to make sure kids aren't fucking around and harassing people. They targeted her, so she obviously was aware of it, and she said NOTHING! She sat there and tried to ignore it and look out the window. She even said in the interview she tried to ignore them and hope they'd go away. They didn't, because they knew they were getting to her and she didn't try to stop them. Her job is to prevent bullying, and she's obviously terrible at it, and it escalated because of that. I'd put every cent I own on the fact that it's been an escalating thing for 9 months because she didn't deal with earlier incidents effectively.

I work with kids every day between teaching, working for my town parks department, and coaching multiple teams. This shit happens EVERY day, but it does not escalate because someone intervenes, whether it's the kid/person being bullied, a peer or bystander, or an adult. If you just sit there and take it like she did, things get out of hand.

Yes, it sucks that this happened. It sucks that the kids are idiots and assholes. But I have a very hard time finding sympathy for her and it's disgusting that she's about to get $500,000 for sucking at her job. She better not keep more than a thousand or two, and even that is disgusting. It all better end up given to charity.

You can't find sympathy for someone who emotionally hit a dead end and couldn't handle it anymore? Or maybe they happened to catch the poor women at an emotionally week point in her life. You,or I, or anyone, don't know how she has handled any other of these incidents because there is no video evidence.Was she unable to do her job properly this time? No. But for you to judge her ability to do her job based on this one video is ignorant, And the last I knew that fundraising wasn't set up by her, so it would be a little silly to hold that one against her. It has obviously gotten out of hand, but I would be willing to bet every cent I own on the chance this money makes it to this women, she will give it back or away to some charitable cause.

You would? Where has she hinted she might do that? I'm not saying she definitely won't, but everything I've heard her say has been appreciative for the money.

In a time where everyone and their mother complains about public money and bloated budgets, I question why a 68 year old was in the position in the first place. It doesn't seem like she's capable of handling it. Walk into ANY middle or high school lunch room with a retiree-age lunch monitor. How well are any of them respected by the students? When someone needs to keep order, a granny figure is not the right person for the job. If she reached an emotional dead end or whatever and couldn't handle her job for the day, she needed to remove herself from it. Call in sick. Go sit up with the driver. Do something but sit there and cry in front of a bunch of 8th graders.

Again, I'm not at all condoning the kids, but she did absolutely nothing to help herself and is now going to be a millionaire. A teacher in my building quit teaching this year because of family stuff and mental health, culminating with her realization that she couldn't handle the kids in her classroom in that state. Where's her $600,000 vacation?

The situation here absolutely sucks, but it's all the "outrage" that I have a problem with. The woman failed at her job and now we're blaming the kids like they're the devil incarnate. That's what so many kids do. They pick up on weakness and poke and prod until they get the reaction they want. If you're going to cry outrage at this, I want equivolence. I want you all to step in and donate money to all the other bullying victims. Just because this one has a video doesn't make it any worse than the rest of this stuff, and because it's a 68 year old woman makes it more absurd in my eyes. This isn't an 8 year old or an emotionally confused freshman who doesn't know how to reach out or protect himself. It's someone who has gone through life and should have the skills to diffuse the situation, and WILLINGLY accepted a job that places her in this position.

I just can't work up the outrage at these kids or the sympathy for the woman.

You would? Where has she hinted she might do that? I'm not saying she definitely won't, but everything I've heard her say has been appreciative for the money.

In a time where everyone and their mother complains about public money and bloated budgets, I question why a 68 year old was in the position in the first place. It doesn't seem like she's capable of handling it. Walk into ANY middle or high school lunch room with a retiree-age lunch monitor. How well are any of them respected by the students? When someone needs to keep order, a granny figure is not the right person for the job. If she reached an emotional dead end or whatever and couldn't handle her job for the day, she needed to remove herself from it. Call in sick. Go sit up with the driver. Do something but sit there and cry in front of a bunch of 8th graders.

Again, I'm not at all condoning the kids, but she did absolutely nothing to help herself and is now going to be a millionaire. A teacher in my building quit teaching this year because of family stuff and mental health, culminating with her realization that she couldn't handle the kids in her classroom in that state. Where's her $600,000 vacation?

The situation here absolutely sucks, but it's all the "outrage" that I have a problem with. The woman failed at her job and now we're blaming the kids like they're the devil incarnate. That's what so many kids do. They pick up on weakness and poke and prod until they get the reaction they want. If you're going to cry outrage at this, I want equivolence. I want you all to step in and donate money to all the other bullying victims. Just because this one has a video doesn't make it any worse than the rest of this stuff, and because it's a 68 year old woman makes it more absurd in my eyes. This isn't an 8 year old or an emotionally confused freshman who doesn't know how to reach out or protect himself. It's someone who has gone through life and should have the skills to diffuse the situation, and WILLINGLY accepted a job that places her in this position.

I just can't work up the outrage at these kids or the sympathy for the woman.

appreciative of the money or the overwhelming support? And with jobs and money the way they are now, why would she call in sick? People go into work all the time under emotional distress because they have no choice. How was she was supposed to know she was going g to be attacked like that? I've known plenty of aids/teachers older than 68 that have never been treated like that. As for your colleague, was sheabuses in this same fashion? I doubt it. Does this mean the old women deserves that money? No. And neither does your colleague. That's a totally different situation. The fact is situations like with this teacher DOESNT happen. A vast majority of kids respect their teachers, the worst that happens in most cases is they talk back. And I'm pretty sure there are multiple charities and organizations that support bullied kids in schools, and people donate money to them. As a matter of fact there is one based in my hometown. You constantly here about bullied victims so I don't understand why you don't think that gets attention. You just can't blame the lady, she was simply videotaped. I can understand you being baffled by peoples reactions, buy the lady has done nothing wrong. The fact that you can't even find any sympathy is just plain sad.

She flat out said in one of the interviews she appreciated the money.

You obviously don't hang out in schools too often if you think talking back is the worst a teacher gets, and my colleague didn't let it get this far, and that's my criticism of granny here. Even in her time of emotional distress, this teacher used the proper channels and disciplined the students before it escalated. Where does this woman on the bus do anything? She turns and glares a couple times, then says something about how they should not say anything if they don't have anything nice to say like 8th grade bullies respond to logic so easily. If you're so easily run over by middle schoolers, you're in the wrong job.

She flat out said in one of the interviews she appreciated the money.

You obviously don't hang out in schools too often if you think talking back is the worst a teacher gets, and my colleague didn't let it get this far, and that's my criticism of granny here. Even in her time of emotional distress, this teacher used the proper channels and disciplined the students before it escalated. Where does this woman on the bus do anything? She turns and glares a couple times, then says something about how they should not say anything if they don't have anything nice to say like 8th grade bullies respond to logic so easily. If you're so easily run over by middle schoolers, you're in the wrong job.

since you obviously do spend a majority of the time in middle schools, what is the worst they do? Cause this exact type of event can't happen that often. Or as often as your making it seem. She obviously wasn't in the right state of mind at the time to do her job right. That doesn't mean she doesn't know how or isn't capable of doing her job, that's where your being ignorant to the grand scheme of it. The real problem is how you are making her out to be the bad Guy in all this. That makes zero sense. And also that you don't feel an ounce bad for her. That baffles me.

To be honest, I don't mind that she's getting an outrageous amount of money and support from people around the globe. Could she give some of that money to charity? Sure! Obviously she could. But to all those people who are suggesting that she donate, couldn't you also give some of your own money to charity if it's that important to you? If you're so noble, take that $100 a month you spend on your iPhone plan and donate it to whatever charity you prefer.

I don't like when people get all high and mighty about what others should do with their money when they've got more than expendable income that 90% of the rest of the world.

If I came into $600,000 for no reason, I garauntee a huge chunk of it is going to other people.

I'm in a suburban school district and talking back happens every period in some capacity. Your less-than-model students will outright threaten people, including teachers, with regular occurance. Even in my tame district, physical confrontations have happened. There's a kid I talked to on Thursday who is 15 in 8th grade because he was kicked out of school twice, once for throwing a chair and hitting a teacher and another time for punching a teacher in the face. You head into the city and it increases with frequency and intensity.

I don't care what state of mind you're in, you can't let a student outright insult you or it WILL escalate. If she couldn't deal with it, she needed to get up and move to the front of the bus and let the kids have their laughs and ignore it like she wanted to while she was sitting there. You can tell she's outright bad at her job on the average day because her verbal response was, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," and we know how effective that turned out to be. If she was going to respond, it has to be with something that actually might have an effect.