$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Oh, man ... I can't wait for this thing to finally make it into the public's hands. I hope it's really divisive, too. Hilarity will surely ensue.

If you really think about it, at $150, U-Turn Audio only has to do one thing to be considered a success. The Orbit must be substantially better than a Crosly, Ion, etc etc in performance, build quality and reliability. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Now if you're talking about the audiophile world, there's a second benchmark: it has to come pretty close to the performance of the entry level Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall turntables. This is where the real debate begins and forum / message board fisticuffs will be thrown. I think it's going to be a boatload of fun.

I agree. I think that they can produce the body of a turntable similar to all the budget level tables from better known brands but a cheaper price. BUT, I also think that at $150, you're going to get a real crappy cartridge. That or these guys are going to make $10 per table profit.

Word is that the table will come with an Ortofon Omega (about a $30 cart) and there will be upgrade options that include a better cartridge (I would guess an O'fon OM10 Super) and an acrylic platter. Assuming you can get the table with those upgrades for under $250, it's still definitely an interesting option. Only time will tell what kind of performer it is. There are a lot of factors that won't be known until people start using their units.

It is certainly difficult to believe that these guys are going to make much money on this. I have no clue how much manufacturing costs are, but I'd be shocked if profit was more than $50 per table.

The other thing that has always bugged me about this is that if you read some of the articles about about the dudes involved with the venture, they don't exactly strike me as audiophiles ... or as a group of people that has much experience with turntables at all. Obviously I could be totally wrong about that. Let's hope they consulted with some knowledgeable folks on the project though.

Oh, and that tonearm still looks like weak sauce to me. If anything, that will be the big point of contention. And maybe the motor.

It's kind of cool though. To think about being the first people to own these. Imagine if they really were bad ass tables and the company became huge. Then you could tell your grand kids that you owned the very first model and they could laugh at you for being so old.

But fur realzies, I'm excited. :) can't wait to hear it.

I'

I agree. I think that they can produce the body of a turntable similar to all the budget level tables from better known brands but a cheaper price. BUT, I also think that at $150, you're going to get a real crappy cartridge. That or these guys are going to make $10 per table profit.

Agreed and I wonder how much it will be to upgrade to the OM10

I'm definitely buying one of these. I prefer the all black color model on their website. I'll also be upgrading to the acrylic platter as well as the cart upgrade. Hoping they will give me an option to upgrade to an Ortofon 2M Red. Also, if the dust cover is an add-on, I'll be getting that as well. Depending on the price, with all those upgrades, it may not be much of a discount from a pro-ject TT.

I'm definitely buying one of these. I prefer the all black color model on their website. I'll also be upgrading to the acrylic platter as well as the cart upgrade. Hoping they will give me an option to upgrade to an Ortofon 2M Red. Also, if the dust cover is an add-on, I'll be getting that as well. Depending on the price, with all those upgrades, it may not be much of a discount from a pro-ject TT.

$150 -30 for the crappy cart = 120 + 100 for 2M red = 220 + acrylic platter (at least 75?) = 295. A Pro-Ject essential with a worse tonearm.