Increase the size of Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes to fit vinyl LPs!

Surprised I didn't see this posted. If it's a repost, close it.

The US Postal Service reported a $5.2 billion dollar loss in the 3rd quarter. Let's help them offset this loss by changing the packing size of their large square Priority Mail boxes to 13" x 13" x 6", so they can accommodate a VINYL LP record.

Those of us who ship and deal regularly with the post office are left with no options to efficiently ship records in a flat rate Priority Mail method, which would prove largely helpful in sending large batches of vinyl across the country and overseas.

As the Post Office will eventually move to eliminate Media Mail shipping among other services, it's crucial for small and independent record labels and stores to have a cost-efficient way to send vinyl records without having to waste even more money through companies like UPS or FedEx.

Sign this petition and help keep the Post Office and the independent music community thriving!

Link: https://www.change.org/petitions/increase-the-size-of-priority-mail-flat-rate-boxes-to-fit-vinyl-lps

what the hell am i supposed to fill the extra 5.5" with?

Those of us who ship and deal regularly with the post office are left with no options to efficiently ship records in a flat rate Priority Mail method, which would prove largely helpful in sending large batches of vinyl across the country and overseas.

I do believe they were talking about distros and labels, not consumers.

i also find it funny old ass people dont know what the fuck media consists of. and why do they ask me if its liquid, parishable or hazardous when i tell them i want it media mail and they're records so yes follow the "do not bend" that is written on them. people blow my mind sometimes

I work for the usps and there has been rumors of them getting rid of media mail for at least 5 years. I wouldnt count on this happening anytime soon or at all.

I do believe we will be going to 5 day delivery though. I personally don't see a way around that seeing that it will save over a billion dollars

Maybe USPS should focus more so on properly delivering my mail rather than ripping my mail box hinge off every other week!

Heat Sensitive = do not leave on my front stoop

Fragile = Do not throw it while walking around the front of my house onto said stoop

Magazines = Do not crush 3 magazines into a coupon booklet and shove into my mail box, they get stuck.

Do USPS a favor and stop using parts of new Priority Mail Boxes as filler pads. Filler pads cost less than 20 cents, just buy them. Plus, that will save USPS some money.

I've seen this a lot during this year, even established businesses like SRC doing it which sucks.

I must be missing something here...why is using the cardboard from Priority Mail Boxes a bad thing? It would seem to me that you use the Priority Mail Box once and it's not reusable, so using it as filler pad could be seen as recycling it. Sure, that means USPS isn't getting the business from buying the filler pads but...recycling?..

i think he means just going in and using ones that haven't been sent anywhere before because you can just take them for free and pay for them when you're shipping the item out but you wouldn't be using that box to ship. recycling them would be good, just going and grabbing new ones to use as filler would not...if im understanding him correctly

i think he means just going in and using ones that haven't been sent anywhere before because you can just take them for free and pay for them when you're shipping the item out but you wouldn't be using that box to ship. recycling them would be good, just going and grabbing new ones to use as filler would not...if im understanding him correctly

Oh, I see. I was unaware you could just take them from the PO. That makes sense...thanks for the clarification.

yeah some of the POs have things set up where you can grab what you want in the way of flat rate boxes and such, packaging materials obviously you gotta pay for but you can go ask them for like 10 flat rate boxes and they'll give em to you with the assumption you will be sending them out to help cover costs, but again im just assuming thats what he was referring to when he said that

I've gotten in trouble for re-using clearly used priority boxes in the past, from Media Mail packages that were inspected. Explaining that to the supervisor who flagged the package was like showing a card trick to a dog, They didn't get it...and after 15 minutes of arguing with them I took the package away from them and told them I'd repackage it and bring it back.