Iron Maiden to Re-release First 8 Albums on Vinyl

Check it out, Maiden fans...

A series of special limited edition IRON MAIDEN vinyl picture disc albums are due to be released by EMI and UMe starting in October 2012. Comprised of the first eight albums of Maiden’s career, all released in the 1980’s, each picture disc will be packaged in a gatefold sleeve with full colour printed inner bags and the heavyweight vinyl will be cut from the original album master tapes.

The albums will be released chronologically between October and February, starting with ‘Iron Maiden’ and ‘Killers’ on 15 October 2012 followed by ‘The Number Of The Beast’ and ‘Piece Of Mind’ in November 2012.

8xpicdiscs.jpg

To open the new year ‘Powerslave’ and the double album ‘Live After Death’ will be released in January, with the final two titles, ‘Somewhere In Time’ and ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ coming out in February 2013.

These vinyl picture discs are being released to commemorate IRON MAIDEN’s current Maiden England tour which comprises largely 80’s material, in particular focussing on the ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ album.

I don't own any picture discs, is there something wrong with them or is it just personal preference?

Some sound bad, some sound fine. I know most of Iron Maiden's more recent records have been released on picture disc. I don't own any, but if anyone does and can attest to it's sound quality, that would probably be a pretty good indication of how these will sound.

I'll consider these. I have a few of their LPs, but none in very good shape. Depends on the cost...

i own 5 picture discs, and only 2 sound like shit, and one of them was used.

these are pretty sweet though. i just hope that ugly side bar isn't actually printed on the covers.

the disc art for killers are awesome!

1) I'm hoping that's like an "obi" that can be removed.

2) Yeah, that's the original art from the "Purgatory" single. One of my favorites.

Was excited, saw they were picture discs, stopped caring.

Hopefully some people will be stoked though.

Yeah, I'm not usually a picture disc fan, either. But when it comes to Maiden, I make an exception. And the way they are doing these looks pretty cool. Original album art on the cover, and then using art from single(s) from that album for the vinyl. They only show one side of the vinyl, but I'm assuming the reverse sides will have art from a different single from the respective album. I hope so, anyway...

I was stoked on this until I realized that these will be at least $30 a pop

Maybe not. These are single picture discs, not double. The recent Maiden albums have all been double picture discs, and I believe those have typically gone in the high $20 range. I'm hoping these will be in the $20-25 range. We'll see.

1) I'm hoping that's like an "obi" that can be removed.

2) Yeah, that's the original art from the "Purgatory" single. One of my favorites.

They look like they are slid on as they cover the "I". This would make an awesome box set.

The originals sound like vinyl gold so I would hope these re-releases sound even better, regardless of being picture disks.

The good news is that a.) they look cool as hell and b.) they are cut from the original master tapes, not the shitty remasters.

But, in terms of sound quality, obviously picture discs are a mixed bag (it is preference, as I have a couple that sound good and they don't scratch easily, but the vinyl is almost always noisy). Not to mention the originals of these are readily available for cheap and sound great. I'm not a Maiden collector, just a fan so I'm passing, I'll use the $ to buy the OG copies I'm missing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...