PO: Beatles Box Set

yancey47

Ordered a copy from Elusive Disc over the weekend. A few years ago I was trying to find a copy of the blue box on ebay for a decent price, but every time I bid on one, it went well over what I had to spend at the time. This is a little more expensive, but buying all the albums separately comes out to $350 as well, but you don't get the box or the 250+ hard back book either. Definitely going to enjoy the hell out of this set! I've always held off on trying to find them individually in good shape at used stores, knowing that some day they'd reissue them on vinyl.

Ordered a copy from Elusive Disc over the weekend. A few years ago I was trying to find a copy of the blue box on ebay for a decent price, but every time I bid on one, it went well over what I had to spend at the time. This is a little more expensive, but buying all the albums separately comes out to $350 as well, but you don't get the box or the 250+ hard back book either. Definitely going to enjoy the hell out of this set! I've always held off on trying to find them individually in good shape at used stores, knowing that some day they'd reissue them on vinyl.

The book sounds nice, but there's no shortage of Beatles literature out there for cheap, and I won't be able to drop 350 all at once sadly..

I was all over this when the rumors first started leaking out around the time the CDs were announced, but considering I dropped over $400 on those and still haven't spent the time with them that I would like, I think I'm taking a pass on this...

...that could change as we get closer and panic of getting shut out sets in, which is how I (in retrospect, foolishly) spent almost $300 on the Mono box a few days before release.

how is the mono version better?

I understand the originals were mono but what else?

My understanding is that the albums that were originally recorded in Mono were designed to be recorded in Mono, so the Stereo remixes simply aren't as 'good', or at the very least, do not sound as originally intended.

I don't get that part:

"A MONO LP box is planned for the Spring and that box, like the mono CD box will contain STEREO LPs cut from the original stereo mixes!"

:huh:

So, the Mono LP box contains Stereo LPs from the original stereo mixes? WHAT??? :huh:

Anyways, hopefully the price at amazon.de will drop as well...still at 400€!

My understanding is that the albums that were originally recorded in Mono were designed to be recorded in Mono, so the Stereo remixes simply aren't as 'good', or at the very least, do not sound as originally intended.

The easy version is that mono was far and away the dominant format at the time so the story goes the Beatles - specifically George and John I believe - were very involved in the mixing process for the mono LP but left the stereo mixing up to George Martin and/or the engineers. For the early records, the stereo mixes are essentially half the instruments in one channel and the remaining instruments and vocals in the other with little to no overlap which makes for an interesting listening experience. (I personally find such severe separation distracting, especially on headphones.) Once you get to the more elaborate albums, the stereo mixes start to also become more interesting. For me, I bought the mono CD box and also all the stereo CDs from 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' on as that's when I feel each mix brings something equal to the table.

I don't get that part:

"A MONO LP box is planned for the Spring and that box, like the mono CD box will contain STEREO LPs cut from the original stereo mixes!"

:huh:

So, the Mono LP box contains Stereo LPs from the original stereo mixes? WHAT??? :huh:

The original CD campaign featured new George Martin stereo remixes of 'Help!' and 'Rubber Soul' - though I have no idea the story behind those. The 2009 remaster campaign kept those 1987 mixes on the stereo CDs, but the mono discs in the box for those two albums featured the original stereo mix after the mono album. Apparently the mono LP box is going to contain the original stereo mixes for those two as well, which seems silly but there you have it.

Since its hard to go back a page, I'll quote myself.

there's a lot written on the subject. basically, the band recorded the records in mono and worked on/approved the mono mixes. they are they way they are meant to be heard. In the US, people were buying stereo speakers so the label/engineer went ahead and remixed them in stereo for the US market and the rich people that had stereo systems. because of the limited recording tracks available, basically, you have vocals in the center and drums on one side and guitars in the other, and it's kind of an afterthought. if you listen to some of the earlier records (the new cd remasters) and compare the mono to stereo, i feel like the mono has a much warmer, fuller sound and the stereo albums feel more dense. now, abbey road, yellow submarine, and let it be (as well as some later singles) were actually recorded in stereo so they wouldn't be included. an example of how different they can be though: the infamous moment toward the end of helter skelter where the song fades out and comes back was a mistake by the engineer doing the stereo mix. on the new mono reissues, it's not present and the song keeps on going, like it was meant to. they've kept the fade out on the stereo mixes because it is so well known, and thought to be part of the song now. few people had the white album in mono, so listening to the cd reissues that came out was an eye opening experience. i heard things i've never heard before.

though i will say mono isn't always better, especially with some of the later albums.

Please Please Me: Mono

With The Beatles: Mono

A Hard Day's Night: Kind of a toss up, the stereo mix is much improved, though I'd still go with mono.

Beatles For Sale: Also a toss up.

Help: mono is still definitive but a bit muddier. Never too impressed with either mix. too muddy vs. too sharp and bad panning

Rubber Soul: Mono, no question

Revolver: Mono, other than Tomorrow never knows is awesome in stereo, everything else sounds so much fuller in mono

Sgt. Pepper: Like revolver, it sounds much better and tighter in mono, though day in the life sounds great in stereo.

Magical Mystery Tour: Stereo

White Album: Stereo is the definitive well known version, but both have enough differences that i'll need to own both versions. I already have the 90's stereo reissue, and can't wait to own the mono for things like the corrected Helter Skelter mentioned in my last post

Abbey Road: Never mixed in mono, the stereo version is probably the best sounding Beatles record ever. Can't wait to hear the remastered vinyl.

Let It Be: also not in mono, this album is a complete mess. the original LP sounds like garbage, and there's such a huge difference between the old cds and the newer remaster. It sounds a lot better, but i prefer the "let it be naked" record that came out in the 90's. if you can find a copy of this on vinyl, it's the way to go. much truer to their original vision for the record. it'd be really nice if one of the sets included the "naked" mix as it hasn't been reissued since it originally came out.

Past Masters: The mono songs sound so good, but alas, it's missing a bunch that are only on the stereo set.