MySpace is doing a complete overhaul of their site.

It looks like a PInterest/Microsoft commercial mashup.

Meh, at this point they are only trying to be a relevant social media marketing icon again. And I don't mean leading their industry, I mean they just want people to add a myspace icon next to their FB and Twitter icons on their website.

I had to look, and even Mr. "Goldfinger" Timberlake does not have a myspace link on his website. Telling really.

My sister works for the company that owns Myspace. I have tried to give her a lot of advice on what needs to change and why. We've talked about what they need to do to become relevant again and what they need to do to lead not play catch up. We've talked about Bandcamp and Facebook and how the new Myspace needs to offer something different.

Even though I feel that the video could have been edited more concisely, all signs point to something different with the main focus being music and not what someone ate today for lunch(FB). I am hoping to beta test it. She told me I would be able to get in that group.

Any other constructive ideas on what would make Myspace better/different? I can pass them along.

The thing I really liked about myspace (that they got rid of!) was the ability for bands to post concert dates, and me be able to search them by zip code and sort them by date. I was so pissed when they got rid of that! It made it so easy to find concerts. When they got rid of this feature I was pissed and left the site. Bring that back!

The thing I really liked about myspace (that they got rid of!) was the ability for bands to post concert dates, and me be able to search them by zip code and sort them by date. I was so pissed when they got rid of that! It made it so easy to find concerts. When they got rid of this feature I was pissed and left the site. Bring that back!

This is all I used MySpace for.

This is very different than Google+, who built their own network to go up against Facebook and the like. Myspace looks like it will have original content, but will also serve as an aggregator of other content across your social networks. Rather than attempting to retain or build a totally new and unique audience they are betting that by creating a better way to view content, and mix in some original, they can steal minutes and eyeballs from existing social channels.

By focusing further on music and specific "passion" segments they can build a somewhat unique experience for the small group of content types that will be featured on the site. I'm not sure it'll work, but I certainly appreciate the thought that went into the approach. It looks slick as hell.

The one thing I don't understand is why they kept the name Myspace, as if it has any brand equity. If anything, I'd say it has a negative connotation. Had they rebranded people might have a different perception. I'm not saying this will prevent them from being successful, but I'd love to hear the rationale.

Google+ actually has a huge user base, but it's not quite being used as as originally hoped for and is really kind of submerged. Integration of G+ into most new Android phones is pretty deep and with its auto-photo/video upload/management tools and that's where a lot of the action is. Not a threat to FB obviously, but in its own way, G+ has a lot going for it for Google account power users.