so i saw OFF! last night.

Did they play longer than keith talked or is he still talking for 2 mins between every song and than playing a 30 sec song

they played 25 songs, and he only ranted 3 times. each lasting only a few minutes.

honestly it's a good way to take up set time, considering how short their songs are, and how entertaining his personality is.

i was hoping to get to talk to him, but he ran and hid in the van immediately after their set.

dimitri was selling merch for awhile tho. his face glued to his phone the whole time.

How was the OFF! set? I heard a lot of negative things about their live show so I skipped out on seeing them and went to Skalapalooza instead when they played literally a block over from me. I felt guilty for not going ever since considering how much I love Keith Morris no matter how cooky he is.

I've seen them in the past and they were fucking great!

I love to listen to KM talk between songs...he's really genuinely funny and so sarcastic. When he explains songs too: so I know that Jeffrey Lee Pierce was his long time roommate, and that's why he wrote that song. Little details that aren't conveyed in the lyrics.

Also comparatively to lots of hardcore bands in the 90's talking a couple minutes between 30 second songs is fine - lot's of bands would talk for 5+ minutes between songs. He at least has the bigger than life personality to go with it.

How was the OFF! set? I heard a lot of negative things about their live show so I skipped out on seeing them and went to Skalapalooza instead when they played literally a block over from me. I felt guilty for not going ever since considering how much I love Keith Morris no matter how cooky he is.

they're great! they didn't even bother to sound check and everything still sounded great.

i don't know where that negativity came from, it was truely an outstanding performance by everyone in the band.

the worst part about the show was the crowd. the entire club was packed, and it was a GIANT mosh pit (not that i wasn't expecting it).

i was right up front and had to wedge my front foot between the monitors, and keep my back foot sideways to keep myself from being knocked over the entire time.

it's not easy throwing 100+ sweaty men off your back. (insert gay joke here)

I've seen Off! twice now and both times I wanted to rip my face off. Keith just rambled on forever during both sets. 99% of the time nothing he says is connected or makes sense. He should be the poster child for what happens to you in your 50s when you spend your 20s, 30s and 40s doing acid.

all he did was explain song meanings and rant about voting.

he also broke up a few fights, and asked people to stop throwing beer cans on stage.

nothing too abnormal.

wait, i thought you were suppose to throw beer cans on stage if you liked the band.

OFF! was great when I saw them at The Church, The Spits not so much. Keith does talk too much, though. At one point he was ranting about telephone messages or something that nobody in the audience cared about.

that was another song description. apparently someone called him and left a message saying that he had hurt their feelings, and dimitri told him to write a song about it. so he did.

not really an interesting story, but anything is interesting when you're star struck and one of your idols is telling a story, i suppose.

plus it gave all the pit kids a chance to catch their breath.

The song was about Greg Ginn. He had left him a message on his answering machine and all it said was "you hurt my feelings", Keith then said feeling were meant to be hurt.

I don't care about your opinion too much. Just don't be the guy screaming Nervous Breakdown. OFF! rules.

• 1 month later...

They were awesome when I saw them in New York recently! Keith talked a bit but definitely not 'too much'. The Spits were fun and funny, but Double Negative is one of the worst bands I've ever seen live. They were unbearable.

double negative were a blast! they were a bit sloppy but they had a ton of energy. their 7" aint that great tho.