How do you like your Speedbox? Would you recommend it?

I hardly ever switch speeds but to know I can at the flick of a button is worth the money to me.

As for meant to be handled, when you get the turntable, it comes with a little plastic tool to change the belt. My understanding was always that the tool was to avoid touching the belt with your hand and getting oil and dirt and crap on it. So the manufacture knows they will be handled but I'm not sure they are made to be handled.

• 1 month later...

You might also see if any of the audio stores in your area are Pro-Ject dealers and can order them for cheaper than can be found online and have them shipped to the store, which would save you on shipping costs. For example, my local audio store is a Music Hall dealer and I was able to get the Music Hall acrylic platter for $100 (usually found online for $120-$130) with no shipping charge.

You might also see if any of the audio stores in your area are Pro-Ject dealers and can order them for cheaper than can be found online and have them shipped to the store, which would save you on shipping costs. For example, my local audio store is a Music Hall dealer and I was able to get the Music Hall acrylic platter for $100 (usually found online for $120-$130) with no shipping charge.

Thanks! I'll have to do some research.

Acrylic platter? Worth it?

The Speedbox is ok, and like many here, I like it more for not having to change the belt. I got my Debut III used and it didn't come with the belt tool, so I'd been doing it with my greasy, ol' fingers. I didn't really notice much of a change, sound-wise. The turntable seems to spin a little fast, according to the iRPM iPhone app, but not so bad that I'd hear a different--we're talking percents of a revolution off of 33.3. I don't know if the box is the cause, though I'd have thought it would help prevent that. Whatever. While $150 is an insane amount to spend on just a speed changing button, I do admittedly use it a lot because I have a lot of 1980s UK 12" singles, and those were always released at 45 RPM.

For the other Speedbox owners, a question: If I happen to be charged up with static electricity, if i touch the box, it sometimes changes to the other speed setting--anyone else have this happen to them?

As for the platter, yeah, it's worth it. I am no Golden Ears, and I definitely heard the difference. Not having to deal with the staticky mat is nice too, but you have to remember to brush it off before you play a record--the gray color hides dust, and you won't see it until you flip the record over and find it all stuck to the other side.

The Speedbox is ok, and like many here, I like it more for not having to change the belt. I got my Debut III used and it didn't come with the belt tool, so I'd been doing it with my greasy, ol' fingers. I didn't really notice much of a change, sound-wise. The turntable seems to spin a little fast, according to the iRPM iPhone app, but not so bad that I'd hear a different--we're talking percents of a revolution off of 33.3. I don't know if the box is the cause, though I'd have thought it would help prevent that. Whatever. While $150 is an insane amount to spend on just a speed changing button, I do admittedly use it a lot because I have a lot of 1980s UK 12" singles, and those were always released at 45 RPM.

For the other Speedbox owners, a question: If I happen to be charged up with static electricity, if i touch the box, it sometimes changes to the other speed setting--anyone else have this happen to them?

As for the platter, yeah, it's worth it. I am no Golden Ears, and I definitely heard the difference. Not having to deal with the staticky mat is nice too, but you have to remember to brush it off before you play a record--the gray color hides dust, and you won't see it until you flip the record over and find it all stuck to the other side.

I hated that felt mat so much that I bought the Music Hall Mat. I found it for $35 shipped and it's fantastic. No static and it never gets picked up with the record.

I'm not going to be buying an acrylic platter for a while but it's nice to know that it's worth it.

I hated that felt mat so much that I bought the Music Hall Mat. I found it for $35 shipped and it's fantastic. No static and it never gets picked up with the record.

I'm not going to be buying an acrylic platter for a while but it's nice to know that it's worth it.

Where did you find the Music Hall mat (I assume the cork mat) for $35?

Love my speddbox.  My listening order on records now is play what I want instead of going...meh I dont want to change the speed so lets only listen to one speed for a few hours then switch and only listen to things at another speed. 

Plus stupid records that don't have marked speeds on them....so much easier to listen to as there is no worries if you have it at the wrong speed to start.

But yeah static, BOOO...