WordPress theme for cataloging records

moegly

To the people who keep saying that they deserve to have the theme for free and that my time and skills aren't worth anything, that's a really foolish way to try to get me to give it to you for free. If everyone was really supportive and considerate I would have been much more likely to give out a few copies, but why would I do that for people who have been mean and act entitled?

If you don't see the value in the theme or don't think it's worth $10, then that is perfectly fine, don't buy it and use one of the other free methods. There's just no use in continuing to complain about the price, because the reality is it's priced very cheaply for a WordPress theme, and I have no intentions of appeasing just a handful of people who have been inconsiderate towards me.

Whoa, no one said they deserved anything or that your time was worth nothing. I think a lot of people would be interested in trying it out but are reluctant to pay $10 to try out a new tradelist that they have to host. It'd probably take me 30 hours just to input everything. I think by talking about wanting to try it, shows that people are interested.

Yeah, I never said I wanted it for free or that your time is worthless. If anything, I studied marketing and social science and was trying to give you some advice on how to get your product out there.

sorry if you feel I was being inconsiderate or entitled, not my intentions. Carry on.

Yeah dude, no one really is saying you should give it out for free. The point is you're charging quite a bit for a service that can be had for free from several places. If it's that awesome and has a ton of cool features and will be updated a lot, then people will likely buy it. But it's not going to get any good word of mouth if no one tries it out, which seems to be the case now.

I really like the look of this! Nice job to all involved

How is cover art uploadrd? manually? Will I have to grab images from google and resize/format them so they all look the same before I upload?

Just like Derek said, you upload the album image at any size and it will automatically resize itself to a thumbnail. When you click on the thumbnail a lightbox comes up that shows a larger view of it. If you watch the video on www.recordpresstheme.com you can see the whole process of adding an album, it takes about 30 seconds.

If only there was a way to import from an excel file. There's no way I'd start over manually typing in over 8000 records by hand. That aside it looks very nice and honestly 10 bucks is not too much to ask.

Nice job Nicholas. As a developer myself I know how involved Wordpress can be. Looks like an excel import extension is needed :)

I did figure out a way to import a .csv file into RecordPress, so to anyone with their collections in Excel, Google Docs, Discogs, or any other site that allows you to export your collection as a .csv file, you can move it over. I just imported a .csv file into mine and it worked fine, but the biggest thing to consider is matching up information. For example, if you have your collection in Excel you need to have columns that match up with the information in RecordPress, which is Artist | Album | Size | Variant | Label | Pressing. It doesn't matter what the column name is, and you can have more or less columns of info, but only the matching info will work. Unfortunately, the only matching information that Discogs stores is Artist, Album, and Label. So when I imported a Discogs collection the fields of size, variant, pressing, and the album image still needed to be filled in because Discogs doesn't store that information in their .csv export.

I'll update the How to Use page on www.recordpresstheme.com with how to do the .csv import for anyone who is interested.

• 2 years later...

Well I appreciate your honesty. It just took me a few months to develop it and a lot of my time, so I was basically hoping to make some extra money so I could afford to buy a few records each month. I hope that's not too much to ask. Most custom WordPress themes are $30 to $50 on themeforest.net so I didn't think $10 was too bad.

$10 is totally fair ... but how about adding a FILTER to the hole thing?

and is there an option to add my own fields?

Totally agree. $10 is not bad at all. 

I started building an alternative tradelist as a side project last year but it kind of trailed off. The design still needs a lot of work and I'd like to add some javascript functions, but the list is up right now. http://tittus.vinyllist.wpengine.com/full-list/