NME 50 best albums of 2012

holy shit so much ignorance in this thread it's amazing.

guys, there's more to life than punk music. in fact, most music is better.

I don't listen to "punk" or 90% of the stuff that attracts most people on here and I find that list to be mostly ugg wearing hipster girl trash. Fucking Grimes? Christ

Yeah I would not call that list hipster garbage. Hipsters listen to bands that only put out 50 cdr's and once you miss it you have to wait till the next cdr.

I find there to be douches like that then the kind of hipster you see at urban outfitters and the like. Portland hipstas would eat this list up.

I will say that this list tends to side with a lot of albums that were considered "Best New Music" by Pitchfork, but some of these albums are great (Purity Ring, Beach House, etc). People also giving their opinions on what they think are great albums helps me discover new bands, such as Wild Nothing. An album that should be on this list is Twin Shadow's new album imo

I will say that this list tends to side with a lot of albums that were considered "Best New Music" by Pitchfork, but some of these albums are great (Purity Ring, Beach House, etc). People also giving their opinions on what they think are great albums helps me discover new bands, such as Wild Nothing. An album that should be on this list is Twin Shadow's new album imo

twin shadow - run my heart is one of the best tracks of the year

I really hate Tame Impala. Grimes has some good songs, but the album being #2? Nah. I never like NME's lists much, anyway.

Why do you hate Tame Impala? If you aren't into them fine but hate is a strong word and I thought they put out a solid album.

The list isn't the best but everyone is being a bit harsh, just a different style of music.

Calling something 'hipster garbage' doesn't give you some sort of wisdom or like you've been around long enough so that your taste in music is superior to anyone else's. The point is if you even so much as gave some of these albums a chance (although yes, some of them actually do suck), you'd probably find that you can at least appreciate them. Lose your stigmas. Some people on these boards are dicks just to be dicks and it blows my mind.

Sort of a wonky list. A lot of good albums got shafted, with "hipster garbage" taking the lead (I'm guessing it's mostly for NME's target market). Honestly surprised to see Grimes ranked so high and Purity Ring ranked so low. Visions was good, but it wasn't that good. Also kind of surprised that Twin Shadow didn't make the cut.

I will say that I'm glad to see Tame Impala at #1. That album is incredible.

Why do you hate Tame Impala? If you aren't into them fine but hate is a strong word and I thought they put out a solid album.

The list isn't the best but everyone is being a bit harsh, just a different style of music.

Maybe. I probably should have said I hate the music they make. I don't like psych and their whole neo-psych thing isn't any more appealing to me.

Calling something 'hipster garbage' doesn't give you some sort of wisdom or like you've been around long enough so that your taste in music is superior to anyone else's. The point is if you even so much as gave some of these albums a chance (although yes, some of them actually do suck), you'd probably find that you can at least appreciate them. Lose your stigmas. Some people on these boards are dicks just to be dicks and it blows my mind.

you created a thread asking how people thought about someone elses top 50 list, just so you know, you opened the door to criticism of the list. i checked the link because I had no idea what could be on the list, and to my surprise,I knew zero of those artists. glad you packed up your chair and left ya big hispster garbage baby.

The reason everyone is calling it hipster garbage because it only is using hipster garbage for the top 50 albums. There is a serious lack of anything else on this list. It has nothing to do with it not being "punk enough" as it has to do with them only hyping the same shit. You honestly mean to tell me that Dylan's new album isnt in the top 50 this year? What about Norah Jones', Justin Townes Earle, Ryan Bingham, etc etc. This list was made specifically for the hipsters and not a true representative of this past year in music.

The reason everyone is calling it hipster garbage because it only is using hipster garbage for the top 50 albums. There is a serious lack of anything else on this list. It has nothing to do with it not being "punk enough" as it has to do with them only hyping the same shit. You honestly mean to tell me that Dylan's new album isnt in the top 50 this year? What about Norah Jones', Justin Townes Earle, Ryan Bingham, etc etc. This list was made specifically for the hipsters and not a true representative of this past year in music.

BOOM. IN YOUR FACE HIPSTER GARBAGE BABY.