I'm not sure either, lol. I've noticed since the beginning of the year that I've been getting these awful pains in my intestine area. They've gotten worse since then, too. I thought it was just my body cramping from sitting at work all day, which I guess is still possible because I don't notice this happening when I'm not at work all day. Then I thought maybe it was caffeine, but it still happens when I don't drink coffee. I slowly worked through trouble shooting this myself and I landed on a symptom page for Celiac Disease/gluten sensitivity and it matches very well with how I've been feeling, including some other symptoms I've experienced that I didn't think could be related to this. But it seems to make sense. I just wanted to ask someone who has gone through the beginning stages of this and how they felt / how they went about being diagnosed or found relief.

This might seem random but do you use any medicated face wash? Anything at all with the active ingredient clindamycin?

edit: Also, blood work won't necessarily help you in this case. You may need to go above and beyond that to figure out what's wrong. I was having the same symptoms as you were a handful of years ago and they originally thought it was Celiac. I had to go in for multiple endoscopies and colonoscopies and go on a strict diet for about 8 months and nothing ever changed so they eventually realized that it was a face wash that I had been using for like 3 years that had been slowly breaking down my digestive system, more specifically my intestines. It took almost two years of being off of the medication for my intestines to heal and my symptoms to completely go away. It was rough. I had to leave school in Minnesota in the middle of my program to come home to Pittsburgh to get everything figured out medically and get back on track with my health. I lost a bunch of time and energy through the whole process but I'm good now and should finally be finishing school in the beginning of next year. 

since January????!!!

it's August!!!

I know, but up until maybe last week when I stumbled upon this Celiac idea, I was thinking it was stress induced due to my job.  Only in the past month or so has it been more consistent.  I still don't understand why I only feel like this after being at work.  I've been home for about 45 minutes and I already feel a lot better than I did between 1-5pm today at work.

This might seem random but do you use any medicated face wash? Anything at all with the active ingredient clindamycin?

edit: Also, blood work won't necessarily help you in this case. You may need to go above and beyond that to figure out what's wrong. I was having the same symptoms as you were a handful of years ago and they originally thought it was Celiac. I had to go in for multiple endoscopies and colonoscopies and go on a strict diet for about 8 months and nothing ever changed so they eventually realized that it was a face wash that I had been using for like 3 years that had been slowly breaking down my digestive system, more specifically my intestines. It took almost two years of being off of the medication for my intestines to heal and my symptoms to completely go away. It was rough. I had to leave school in Minnesota in the middle of my program to come home to Pittsburgh to get everything figured out medically and get back on track with my health. I lost a bunch of time and energy through the whole process but I'm good now and should finally be finishing school in the beginning of next year. 

No, I don't use any medicated face wash.  I normally use Clean & Clear.

I know that the blood work will be able to rule out Celiac as the cause if that's the case.  Obviously from there I would need to find out what it is that's causing this.

That's really wild what you had to go through though. =\  That's crazy that it was all due to a medicated face wash.  I'm glad you were able to get everything under control!  I have an idiopathic autoimmune disorder (another reason why discovering these symptoms lining up with Celiac is interesting), so I totally understand having to go through test after test and procedure after procedure to find something that works.

Thanks zac. It certainly was an experience. 

No, I don't use any medicated face wash.  I normally use Clean & Clear.

I know that the blood work will be able to rule out Celiac as the cause if that's the case.  Obviously from there I would need to find out what it is that's causing this.

That's really wild what you had to go through though. =\  That's crazy that it was all due to a medicated face wash.  I'm glad you were able to get everything under control!  I have an idiopathic autoimmune disorder (another reason why discovering these symptoms lining up with Celiac is interesting), so I totally understand having to go through test after test and procedure after procedure to find something that works.

Hopefully you can find out what's going on soon so that you don't have to keep dealing with that awful discomfort. Keep us updated! If it is indeed Celiac, that would cause somewhat of a lifestyle shift (depending on your current eating habits) but it's certainly manageable. Those 8 months that I was on a gluten-free diet were probably some of the most healthy of my life.

It really surprised me and kind of annoyed me when they finally ruled everything else out and determined that that was the case. I remember when I was given that face wash back in high school, the doctor mentioned that a minute percentage of people who use the product develop stomach problems. You never think you'll be a part of that small percentage until it slaps you in the face and you're already in it. I'm just glad that my doctor took me off of the face wash right away when I initially went in with the stomach discomfort.

Thanks zac. It certainly was an experience. 

Hopefully you can find out what's going on soon so that you don't have to keep dealing with that awful discomfort. Keep us updated! If it is indeed Celiac, that would cause somewhat of a lifestyle shift (depending on your current eating habits) but it's certainly manageable. Those 8 months that I was on a gluten-free diet were probably some of the most healthy of my life.

It really surprised me and kind of annoyed me when they finally ruled everything else out and determined that that was the case. I remember when I was given that face wash back in high school, the doctor mentioned that a minute percentage of people who use the product develop stomach problems. You never think you'll be a part of that small percentage until it slaps you in the face and you're already in it. I'm just glad that my doctor took me off of the face wash right away when I initially went in with the stomach discomfort.

I've seen a bunch of recipes and blogs that focus on gluten free living, so I know there are tons of resources, but I would just be scared to find out how much more money I'd be dropping at the grocery if I have to go for gluten free goods, lol.  I'm thinking about taking a couple days off work and just hitting up all my doctors that I've been putting off since I work so far away from them now.  I'll definitely keep you updated! Thanks for the support and the insight.

I can DEFINITELY see being annoyed going through all of that only to have it be something that had nothing to do with your insides!  I know what you mean about being in that small percentage.  Usually if something is rare or unusual, it tends to be something I'm prone too, haha.  But the good thing is that its behind you now and that you are better.

I've seen a bunch of recipes and blogs that focus on gluten free living, so I know there are tons of resources, but I would just be scared to find out how much more money I'd be dropping at the grocery if I have to go for gluten free goods, lol.  I'm thinking about taking a couple days off work and just hitting up all my doctors that I've been putting off since I work so far away from them now.  I'll definitely keep you updated! Thanks for the support and the insight.

I can DEFINITELY see being annoyed going through all of that only to have it be something that had nothing to do with your insides!  I know what you mean about being in that small percentage.  Usually if something is rare or unusual, it tends to be something I'm prone too, haha.  But the good thing is that its behind you now and that you are better.

That's great that you already have some knowledge about it, just in case. Definitely utilize those recipes/blogs if you need to. It really can be a lot more expensive, noooo question about it. The easiest thing to do, money wise, is to not try and eat the same diet just with gluten-free versions of what you'd have. In most cases, they have an awful taste and/or texture anyways. If you do have to go gluten-free, it won't take long for you to figure a diet that works best for you and your wallet. 

I'm happy to have it in the past. As much as it sucked going through, I just tried to look at it as a growing experience in a sense. It really messed with me psychologically; having my body feel so off-kilter with my head. I actually decided to get some counseling/therapy that really helped me deal with the mess of shit I was feeling about it all. It absolutely helped shape the way I think about myself and my life in general even today. I can't look back on the ordeal and see it as a negative thing after all of that. Not to sound as cheeseball as possible but it was just something that I went through that got me to where I'm at today. 

That's great that you already have some knowledge about it, just in case. Definitely utilize those recipes/blogs if you need to. It really can be a lot more expensive, noooo question about it. The easiest thing to do, money wise, is to not try and eat the same diet just with gluten-free versions of what you'd have. In most cases, they have an awful taste and/or texture anyways. If you do have to go gluten-free, it won't take long for you to figure a diet that works best for you and your wallet. 

I'm happy to have it in the past. As much as it sucked going through, I just tried to look at it as a growing experience in a sense. It really messed with me psychologically; having my body feel so off-kilter with my head. I actually decided to get some counseling/therapy that really helped me deal with the mess of shit I was feeling about it all. It absolutely helped shape the way I think about myself and my life in general even today. I can't look back on the ordeal and see it as a negative thing after all of that. Not to sound as cheeseball as possible but it was just something that I went through that got me to where I'm at today. 

Absolutely! Any kind of hardship that you're forced into ends up shaping you in one way or another.  I remember when I first was diagnosed with my blood disorder, people were offering me therapy services left and right.  At the time I didn't feel like I needed it, but looking back, I think it could've benefitted me now if I had accepted it then.

Moved my girlfriend up to Milwaukee from Atlanta with her dad over the week. Stayed there for almost a week getting her settled.

Great food and weather just wish she wasn't so far away.

I think I saw this adventure on Instagram...? Right?

I kept thinking how adorable the two of you were together.

If that wasn't you, then I saw some really cute couple on Instagram and I'm sure you & your girl are just as cute.

Milwaukee sure is some distance from Atlanta. :(  When will you two see eachother next?

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic