You want to make it? Quit school, tour with a band in a shitty van playing basements, meet people in the biz, get on a bigger tour, meet more people, get on a stadium tour. Its all time and place and connections. You are wasting valuable time sitting in class.

I've been doing this since I was 16. I take online classes. I was "making it" until I got involved with a shitty company that screwed me over. Now I'm working a part time job, still taking classes, and still shaking hands with the people I need to know to move forward. I've got a pretty awesome resume for someone my age.

I know this wasn't fully directed at me but it's still possible to do some awesome things and get an education at the same time. You just need to make sure it's right for you. My family wanted me to go to school as opposed to touring, so this was our compromise. I've learned a lot of valuable things, so it's not a waste.

But I do agree that if you had the choice between expierence or a degree, take expierence every time.

Nah, a lot of volunteer work on that end of things. I'm not by any means saying that I'm where I need to be. I'm only 20, I have a long way to go. But by 16, I was booking and managing local east coast tours. I know some pretty cool people and have had some great opportunities, hopefully I'll get back out there this year.

Had I not ended up in a weird situation over last summer, things probably would be going a bit more in my favor. But that's life.

I've recently been interning for an artist management company called We Are Team Hans, the company it's self is a start up on the rise but the people behind it are brilliant and well known, respected individuals in the industry. So I'm learning as much as I can outside of school and off the road.

College isn't as bad as a lot of music industry folk make it out to be. You really just need to know how to manage it in your favor.

I've recently been interning for an artist management company called We Are Team Hans, the company it's self is a start up on the rise but the people behind it are brilliant and well known, respected individuals in the industry. So I'm learning as much as I can outside of school and off the road.

I know a girl that does work for them. Does seem like a pretty good up and coming company. They haven't really been involved in much of what I listen to, but are still getting their name attached to some good bands/tours/shows.

I like that it's a lot more like a family and less like a business. If more things were run this way, maybe we'd all be a lot less grumpy. Hahaha. We'll see where it goes! I'd love to have a solid future with them but I also want to eventually dip my toes in the nonprofit world.

You want to make it? Quit school, tour with a band in a shitty van playing basements, meet people in the biz, get on a bigger tour, meet more people, get on a stadium tour. Its all time and place and connections. You are wasting valuable time sitting in class.

This isn't entirely true.  I know a group of girls that ran an online magazine in their teens, then went to college for PR/music industry, and now they're touring the world with various non profits, record labels, and bands.  It's pretty amazing.

This isn't entirely true.  I know a group of girls that ran an online magazine in their teens, then went to college for PR/music industry, and now they're touring the world with various non profits, record labels, and bands.  It's pretty amazing.

And how many people from the graduating class with the same degree are folding sweaters for 8 bucks and hour and living back at home?

For school I majored in fashion merchandising, minored in business. Currently I am an assistant project manager (aka paper pusher) for a construction company. Dream job is to own my own homemade ice cream / bakery shop one day. 

Sometimes I feel completely lost, but hey I can pay my bills and still have extra for records, concerts, going out, etc…. it ain't so bad I guess. 

And how many people from the graduating class with the same degree are folding sweaters for 8 bucks and hour and living back at home?

This is probably true of most majors. My school graduated 160 designers in my class. I'd bet less than 30% are working designers, though I'd wager a fair amount ended up as project managers, developers or other related roles. 

Your second point is also true. College is one path to building the knowledge base required to preform competently in any field, it certainly isn't the only path. A lot of college is theory based, while your hypothetical scenario is built around practice. In my personal opinion, you want a mixture of both, so I definitely advocate for some type academic experience in most instances. 

I suppose it depends on the expectations of the industry you are hoping to enter. Though I will say, if it doesn't work out as planned it never hurts to have a BA to fall back on, regardless of major. 

This was me for the entire first year out of college. Then I knew someone who was hiring in a completely different and unknown field. I learned fast and moved my way up.  Through my own experiences, college is crap. 

Edit: But I wouldn't have gotten that job in the first place without a degree so let me rephrase this…our system is crap. 

I voiced my opinion on college earlier in this thread and got bashed pretty hard. I am not trying to start shit, I am just sharing my opinion haha.

I don't even think you are necessarily wrong, I'm not sure there is a right answer. If I recall, you worded it pretty strongly before in sort of black and white terms, which is when the bashing commenced. 

You a full sail kid?

I go to school for entertainment business, I know it wasn't the smartest move in most people's eyes but I don't think I would have been able to concentrate in a different major. If it doesn't pertain to my interests, I can't focus. We do learn a lot though. Plus, the industry is based mostly on experience, so degrees don't get people far anyway. I mostly do it to make my family think I'm not a waste of space. (Which makes me sound like a trust fund kid, but I'm not. I got a few rad scholarships and I'm in debt for the rest. Hollah.)

No, I'm going to UNA.

And I totally get that having a degree isn't going to give me an edge over someone who doesn't have one in this industry, but it's not going to be a disadvantage. I definitely have learned a lot this past semester, it was just the project that was really stupid.

Our program makes us have a minor as well so I plan on getting one in marketing. And hopefully that will look good on my resume.

Believe me I'm taking every opportunity that's being given to me, and I'm trying to start booking shows for one of my friend's band. It's just been hard to do that right now with finals and everything.

Also this post wasn't just for Logan, I had already read all the other comments. I just answered that one first

I feel that my age group was force fed college starting in Middle School. I was told all sorts of crazy shit growing up, " If you don't go to college you will be homeless", If you don't go to college you will never move out of your parents house.", " If you don't go to college you will never have a job or family."

Sure kids went to school and have successful careers, but in my age group(31) for everyone with a nice money making career 3 are working minimum wage jobs and burying themselves deeper and deeper in debt.

I never went to school, I am happily married and own a home, am I a millionaire? No. Am I miserable? No. Am I comfortable? Yes. Thats all you can really ask for.

I feel that my age group was force fed college starting in Middle School. I was told all sorts of crazy shit growing up, " If you don't go to college you will be homeless", If you don't go to college you will never move out of your parents house.", " If you don't go to college you will never have a job or family."

Sure kids went to school and have successful careers, but in my age group(31) for everyone with a nice money making career 3 are working minimum wage jobs and burying themselves deeper and deeper in debt.

I never went to school, I am happily married and own a home, am I a millionaire? No. Am I miserable? No. Am I comfortable? Yes. Thats all you can really ask for.

I definitely don't think everyone needs college. My brother didn't go and now he works a normal job weekdays and then runs sound and lights for concerts/plays on weekends. He's definitely comfortable financially and he just bought his own house. I just feel like college was right for me.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic