Hmmm. Interesting feedback Madie! I think when I wade into those discussions, which I try not to, I try to make my point pretty clear. I put it in spoilers below to keep it cool in here, and it is a little long. I didn't proof-reed. 

I think, in this particular case, I was surprised to see the negative reception based on the original question. Now, it may be that the follow-up would have been "Must be pretty and willing to pose with records in sexy clothes because we think it would help our traffic", which would rightly generate a swift reaction. However, it could also be the case that there is a blog out there with six male writers who wanted to bring in a female writer for a different perspective. 

I understand that there may be no substantive differences between a female collector or a male collector, but I don't think I'd label the desire to explore that as sexist. I also think gender plays a role, to varying degrees, in the voice you present or develop in writing for the web and in choosing which stories or angles to cover. So, in short, I didn't occur to me that the request itself was sexist. The ambiguity around why he specifically asked for a female probably didn't help, but it seemed like some conclusions may have been reached prematurely. 

For my own curiosity, is the response due to the assumptions about the intent of the post or is there no scenario in which there is a legitimate reason for seeking a female writer?

We can PM it from here if you want. 

Hmmm. Interesting feedback Madie! I think when I wade into those discussions, which I try not to, I try to make my point pretty clear. I put it in spoilers below to keep it cool in here, and it is a little long. I didn't proof-reed. 

I think, in this particular case, I was surprised to see the negative reception based on the original question. Now, it may be that the follow-up would have been "Must be pretty and willing to pose with records in sexy clothes because we think it would help our traffic", which would rightly generate a swift reaction. However, it could also be the case that there is a blog out there with six male writers who wanted to bring in a female writer for a different perspective. 

I understand that there may be no substantive differences between a female collector or a male collector, but I don't think I'd label the desire to explore that as sexist. I also think gender plays a role, to varying degrees, in the voice you present or develop in writing for the web and in choosing which stories or angles to cover. So, in short, I didn't occur to me that the request itself was sexist. The ambiguity around why he specifically asked for a female probably didn't help, but it seemed like some conclusions may have been reached prematurely. 

For my own curiosity, is the response due to the assumptions about the intent of the post or is there no scenario in which there is a legitimate reason for seeking a female writer?

See, this is why I like you (not that it matters). Your level-headedness is respectable & refreshing.

We can PM it from here if you want. 

clap.gif

Hey, unrelated, but your site looks great Eggie. How easy was the set-up and how much customization do those premium Wordpress themes allow? I'm thinking of setting a buddy up with something similar. 

Wow, thanks Zephyrson! Whenever I get compliments from you graphic design folk it makes me happy lol. The set up was suuuper easy. I bought the theme from a company called solopine.com. They make everything really simple and easy to understand (I think so at least. I have some knowledge of website building so idk how it would look to someone who has never tried to set up a site - & I don't mean you as that someone lol). The customization is pretty much whatever you want. You can do no side bar, one side bar, or two side bars. They also have a number of post options like galleries, video, etc. You can also put whatever you'd like in the sidebar as well as premade (yet customizable) widgets that is offered through the theme. I think the social media links and the instagram feed at the bottom is really cool. You can opt not to use it though. :) I totally recommend it!

Do you guys have easter off as bank holidays?

We're not at work Friday or Monday because of Easter. Was wondering if it was the same for you guys?

I do not. My bosses are muslim tho so idk if that has something to do with it.

just a general statement, kind of off topic, not really directed at anyone, but here it is. after this small talk can get back to small talk.

this is the first time in months I’ve been so active on this site and it’s exhausting. even this small talk thread has changed. I’ve been here from the beginning (see me on page one) and I kind of feel lost in here now. I think I may have to tap out from every discussion I’m embroiled in on this board.

Personally, I don’t take the words misogynist, sexist, feminist, lightly. Take a look back through my post history and you will NEVER see me mention those words or accuse anyone of being any kind of ist. I can’t even wholly identify as a feminist because that word has become so awfully skewed. am I for women, absolutely. nothing makes me happier than seeing ladies supporting other ladies, and men who also like to support ladies. that ‘seeking female’ thread got incredibly out of hand. Was it probably just a bad joke made at the absolute wrong time? Sure.

I just encourage everyone here, those of you with wives, mothers, and especially young daughters, to think about the ideas we bring up and why we are so passionate about them. I’m hopeful that things will change when they grow up and are my age. shit, I’m hopeful that in my lifetime a legally married, gay couple can sit on their front porch and smoke a joint, but I digress. To be honest, I have been feeling like some members here get mad when we voice an opinion and don’t just shut up/assume our place as second class citizens.

Feminism is dope and benefits both genders as well as society as a whole.

I agree with this 100%

I just get nervous replying to anything in those threads as I'm not the best at wording what I have to say. I'm always scared by the time I've come back to it, something I have said has been read wrong and everyone has jumped down my throat.

I agree with this 100%

I just get nervous replying to anything in those threads as I'm not the best at wording what I have to say. I'm always scared by the time I've come back to it, something I have said has been read wrong and everyone has jumped down my throat.

Same here. I generally avoid speaking my mind is at will almost inevitably be misconstrued. Better just to say nothing.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but what are your thoughts on film censorship in the UK? Or do you not really care?

I find that shit fascinating. Mostly because ima nerd.

Same here. I generally avoid speaking my mind is at will almost inevitably be misconstrued. Better just to say nothing.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but what are your thoughts on film censorship in the UK? Or do you not really care?

I find that shit fascinating. Mostly because ima nerd.

Haha how do you mean by censorship? Do you mean the 12, 15, 18 rating a film is given? Or the stuff they cut out/not let them show?

Haha how do you mean by censorship? Do you mean the 12, 15, 18 rating a film is given? Or the stuff they cut out/not let them show?

The stuff they cut out. In America, there is no censorship except what the studios choose to cut in order to get a lower rating, & therefore make more $. In places like the UK & Germany, some movies & shows are cut before it can even get a specific rating (American Horror Story Season 1 Ep 1 for example; dialogue cut to get an 18, otherwise it would have been banned) & others are banned outright. I just find it very interesting & have been following it for years.

The stuff they cut out. In America, there is no censorship except what the studios choose to cut in order to get a lower rating, & therefore make more $. In places like the UK & Germany, some movies & shows are cut before it can even get a specific rating (American Horror Story Season 1 Ep 1 for example) & others are banned outright. I just find it very interesting & have been following it for years.

What did they cut in American horror story season 1?

(The BEST season, IMO)

What did they cut in American horror story season 1?

(The BEST season, IMO)

"The BBFC demanded to cut a dialogue in the pilot episode where a downplaying comment about a suicide method is made. This cut's duration is 5 seconds. Otherwise, the episode is still rated "18"."

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=4141

(When Tate tells Violet the correct way to cut her wrist if she really wanted to do it.)

"The BBFC demanded to cut a dialogue in the pilot episode where a downplaying comment about a suicide method is made. This cut's duration is 5 seconds. Otherwise, the episode is still rated "18"."

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=4141

(When Tate tells Violet the correct way to cut her wrist if she really wanted to do it.)

Aaaaahhhh interesting !!

I feel like that show gets away with SO MUCH. Not that I mean this negatively or anything, im just shocked that some of this stuff was shown on TV. Mainly the gore, it's so icky (I'm looking at you season 2)

I feel the same way. Hannibal too. The violence in those are a hard R, sometimes NC-17 level. & Hannibal is rated TV14, wtf. Blows my mind.

How has season 4 been? I haven't even started it yet. I liked season 3 better than 2. I just really really really hated season 2.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt. Asylum was great! Season 4 was good, but the quality seems to decline every year. & the logic becomes more convoluted & unbelievable. I'll stick with it until the series ends cuz its still better than a lot of TV. & the shock & creepiness levels are too high to let go.

I feel the same way. Hannibal too. The violence in those are a hard R, sometimes NC-17 level. & Hannibal is rated TV14, wtf. Blows my mind.

Oh I agree. I fucking love Hannibal though OH MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll be back in June ? The violence is very poetic and beautiful? If that makes any sense ? I'm sure that sounds twisted but it's beautifully shot. It's still icky and bad and murder is bad and all that.

Can't. Wait. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic