The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

Got The Visitor today and it was the variant! It's a nice package. Jay Shaw does some great work. I wonder if it was stock still left over from the flat file sale. I remember someone saying the vinyl stock at the sale was mostly variants.

And I'm still blowing holes in my theories on whether or not you can tell it's a variant based on the shrinkwrap. I figured if there was a barcode sticker on the back it was a regular copy ready for retail sale. Nope!

I can tell you with authority there is no way to tell on 95% of the records, from the outside, whether it is a regular or a variant. Trips us up sometimes too... this is an informal apology to anyone I promised a Variant to and accidentally sent a regular :( 

I can tell you with authority there is no way to tell on 95% of the records, from the outside, whether it is a regular or a variant. Trips us up sometimes too... this is an informal apology to anyone I promised a Variant to and accidentally sent a regular :(

I pretty much figured asking you about my 2001 was pointless, but I ended up getting lucky on the variant any way! I always thought the artwork might have a little "Where's Waldo" marking in the artwork, so you'd be able to pick out the variants from the black.

I love the new headline of this thread. 

I had never realized Spencer was openly advertising Twin Peaks on all of his past releases (just got his backstock in from the UK and saw it for the first time on the Halloween III Deluxe Re-Issue)

Since it's not a reveal, I can assure you Twin Peaks is still happening. It's on the calendar for this year, but I'll let Spencer be the one to give the official announce date when he have that locked.

I pretty much figured asking you about my 2001 was pointless, but I ended up getting lucky on the variant any way! I always thought the artwork might have a little "Where's Waldo" marking in the artwork, so you'd be able to pick out the variants from the black.

Believe it or not, having slightly different artwork is wildly more expensive than changing disc colors. DeskCop was onto something about the barcodes, except that oddly only happened on the Batman Die-Cut record by accident, and that one was sold by color preference anyway so it didn't matter haha.

I love the new headline of this thread.

I had never realized Spencer was openly advertising Twin Peaks on all of his past releases (just got his backstock in from the UK and saw it for the first time on the Halloween III Deluxe Re-Issue)

Since it's not a reveal, I can assure you Twin Peaks is still happening. It's on the calendar for this year, but I'll let Spencer be the one to give the official announce date when he have that locked.

Any news on that Last of Us release at all? ;-)

Believe it or not, having slightly different artwork is wildly more expensive than changing disc colors. DeskCop was onto something about the barcodes, except that oddly only happened on the Batman Die-Cut record by accident, and that one was sold by color preference anyway so it didn't matter haha.

Also, Mo, was the Scanners a PO or when does that ship? Kinda excited to see how the blood-splattered variant looks given Mondo's track record on mind-blowing looking colorways.

Believe it or not, having slightly different artwork is wildly more expensive than changing disc colors.

For my own curiosity, could you elaborate on this?

I could see that being the case with totally different art as you potentially need do all the color separations, stroking and other production tasks twice, when can be time-consuming, especially when your artists hands you a shit file. But if you're not burning new plates or screens is there hidden costs I'm not aware of with jacket production? 

Mine usually goes back to Austin from Dallas for a bit, then back to Dallas, then sometimes back to Austin, then Dallas, then beyond. 

My suspicion is someone in Dallas is going: "Vermont, y'all can't ship Media Mail to Canada!" and sending it back a few times before it finds the right employee to send it on the journey north. 

Hey Mo any ETA on the rest of the GOTG soundtracks being shipped? I know some people have received a shipping notice.

Yeah, definitely. It's going to be a long process as we sold quite a few. We are trying to do it in order, so the people who bought them on our old site are being taken care of first. I don't want to lock us into a firm timeline, but if you ordered in the first two weeks or so, you should be getting shipping notification soon.

Mine usually goes back to Austin from Dallas for a bit, then back to Dallas, then sometimes back to Austin, then Dallas, then beyond. 

My suspicion is someone in Dallas is going: "Vermont, y'all can't ship Media Mail to Canada!" and sending it back a few times before it finds the right employee to send it on the journey north.

And I thought I had it bad getting stuff up here to Montana. Guaranteed a Federal holiday will throw a wrench in the works and the package will be lost for a day or two.

Also, Mo, was the Scanners a PO or when does that ship? Kinda excited to see how the blood-splattered variant looks given Mondo's track record on mind-blowing looking colorways.

No, not a Pre Order. I'll get some photos up of it soon. I just didn't have a physical copy of everything to photograph before we dropped them. They are pressed and arriving to us next week. They should begin shipping next week, along with all of the DW stuff.

I imagine an order with Scanners & Death Waltz stuff will probably be awhile?

Hoping to start shipping everything from that drop next week. Underline the word hopefully. I don't want to write checks if my shipping team can't cash (they are trying to get the first wave of Guardians out as fast as possible first) 

For my own curiosity, could you elaborate on this?

I could see that being the case with totally different art as you potentially need do all the color separations, stroking and other production tasks twice, when can be time-consuming, especially when your artists hands you a shit file. But if you're not burning new plates or screens is there hidden costs I'm not aware of with jacket production? 

sure! when it comes to print, there are always minimums. You find it sometimes with screen printing posters, since you have to justify the creation of the screens, but with offset printing it is near impossible to find anyone who doesn't have a print minimum of at least 500. Now, that doesn't mean you can't order 200, or 100, or even 50 from a printer... but you are still paying for 500 - it just goes into your cost per unit. Does that make sense? So even the slightest change to art makes it a new file that carries a new minimum. And new set up fees. It's just never made sense to us to do alternate print for a variant version... except for "Version B" records, of which we typically do a run of 1,000. And for those we usually* do COMPLETELY different art.

Yeah, definitely. It's going to be a long process as we sold quite a few. We are trying to do it in order, so the people who bought them on our old site are being taken care of first. I don't want to lock us into a firm timeline, but if you ordered in the first two weeks or so, you should be getting shipping notification soon.

Gotcha! I ordered near the end so I'll be waiting a awhile.