PO: Coheed and Cambria - Afterman: Descension

These albums are great, but one song really has me scratching my head. The first time I heard Number City I was honestly embarrased I was listening to it, and felt bummed that Coheed recorded a song that sounds like it does. Of course, I got over it and I found parts of the song that I could appreciate, but it still remains one of my least favorite C&C songs. In an effort to understand the song better, I checked it out in the story book and found myself even more confused. This song is supposed to represent the time in the story where Sirius and Meri are driving through the city and she reveals that she cant be with Sirius and is pregnant with another man's child? This song? Meri's internal struggle, The awkward car conversation, the shock and loss of contol of the vehicle and crash are all represented by this upbeat song? I just am failing to put the two together, and it makes me dislike the song even more.

I'm sure there are many differing opinions on this and I'm very interested in hearing them.

These albums are great, but one song really has me scratching my head. The first time I heard Number City I was honestly embarrased I was listening to it, and felt bummed that Coheed recorded a song that sounds like it does. Of course, I got over it and I found parts of the song that I could appreciate, but it still remains one of my least favorite C&C songs. In an effort to understand the song better, I checked it out in the story book and found myself even more confused. This song is supposed to represent the time in the story where Sirius and Meri are driving through the city and she reveals that she cant be with Sirius and is pregnant with another man's child? This song? Meri's internal struggle, The awkward car conversation, the shock and loss of contol of the vehicle and crash are all represented by this upbeat song? I just am failing to put the two together, and it makes me dislike the song even more.

I'm sure there are many differing opinions on this and I'm very interested in hearing them.

I was very skeptical about the song when I first heard it and I think it rules now. I initially found it hard to believe it was a Coheed song. I definitely don't think the song is  "upbeat" although the chorus and the number countdown towards the end may lead listeners to believe otherwise. Everything else about the song is extremely dark sounding to me.  Hollywood on Ascension is kind of similar in that sense...I just think Coheed has been killing it with the choruses on the Afterman. Anyways, Number City is definitely a grower and I had my friend listen to the album and that was his favorite song.

From what I understand, some dude attempted to poison Meri and a cop saved her. They then fell in love because Sirius was gone and she thought he was dead. I guess Sirius was pretty shocked when he found out and it created this shocking Coheed song! The chaos and confusion of the song goes pretty well with the scene you described and somehow they made it all work.

Meri's internal struggle, The awkward car conversation, the shock and loss of contol of the vehicle and crash are all represented by this upbeat song?

They Might Be Giants, f'rsinstance, have a long history of putting depressing, morbid, or otherwise less-than-happy lyrics with peppy, upbeat major-key songs.

Suffice to say that the pairing of lyrical tone with a seemingly-opposed musical tone doesn't bother me.

Agree w/ those demos and yes to YOTB as far as I know. You should be able to find one for around $25 I'm sure.

Yeah got one online from a place in the midwest this week, its crazy how available NWFT is.

We still have about 6 weeks before RSD so hopefully we will hear something soon, I suppose there is always Black Friday RSD.

After initially shunning both NWFT and YOTBR I can safely say those albums are both underrated and is just because how amazing their initial three albums were. That being said...The Afterman is my new favorite Coheed release and has reinvigorated my interest in their more recent albums. Let's hope for some nice surprise(s) on RSD!

They Might Be Giants, f'rsinstance, have a long history of putting depressing, morbid, or otherwise less-than-happy lyrics with peppy, upbeat major-key songs.

Suffice to say that the pairing of lyrical tone with a seemingly-opposed musical tone doesn't bother me.

Is it too obvious for me to say that TMBG is right up there with Dave Matthews Band on the list of bands that would be worse than waterboarding if I was forced to listen to them? I would rather listen to number city all day for the rest of my life than listen to one song from TMBG.

My immense love for Gravity's Union makes me dislike number city even more. GU is one of my favorite C&C songs.

Wow. I consider myself a fan of Coheed's music, but I am now lost on all this stuff they've been releasing. 

What is this box looking set with the two triangles (one upside down) on it? Is it a limited set, and is it still available? 

I feel like I've been lost in the various amounts of releases/varients recently.

I am glad people dig their stuff though. Saw them again in LA about a week ago, they really are great and I hope they stick around for a while. 

Wow. I consider myself a fan of Coheed's music, but I am now lost on all this stuff they've been releasing. 

What is this box looking set with the two triangles (one upside down) on it? Is it a limited set, and is it still available? 

I feel like I've been lost in the various amounts of releases/varients recently.

I am glad people dig their stuff though. Saw them again in LA about a week ago, they really are great and I hope they stick around for a while. 

It's a 64 hardcover page book with artwork, stories, and lyrics to the Afterman. It also has the two Afterman records in it on these metallic gold and silver colors. It's pretty sweet...but it sold out. It was limited to 3,000.

http://modlife.com/coheedandcambria/limiteddeluxe

Dear VC, you're my only hope here. I went to the Miami show last night and picked up the signed copies of the two albums. Well, after I left I realized that the copy of Ascension was a bit fucked up in the jacket. Too late to go back to the merch dude.

So what I'm asking is if anyone going to any of the remaining Coheed shows and is able to pick me up a clean undamaged of the signed Ascension I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd pay you of course plus shipping and send you something in the mail as a thank you. Hit me up. Please.

BF481721-2B7F-4158-8009-CAB51410B91C-138

187B475D-8303-4009-A95E-C7E2E12D63C8-138