Huffington Post Vinyl Article

So you want to punch people for using descriptive English, but you can't even bother to use an apostrophe when typing the contraction for "it is"?

To be fair, there is a difference between getting the pluralization of a word incorrect and just being lazy and not wanting to add an apostrophe to a contraction. People who say vinyl aren't being lazy because they are adding an extra letter on there, not that it takes any extra effort to pronounce an s. But it's more understandable for someone to not bother with contractions now and then, whereas someone who says vinyl is either trolling or ignorant to the fact that it is not an actual word. I doubt many people on these boards are ignorant to the basic grammatical fact that it is should be it's. People are lazy, and that's fine by me. I agree that hearing people say vinyl makes me cringe a bit on the inside, but I can't really blame them for not knowing as long as they are relatively new to the vinyl game. Anyway, let's all play nice now.

To be fair, there is a difference between getting the pluralization of a word incorrect and just being lazy and not wanting to add an apostrophe to a contraction. People who say vinyl aren't being lazy because they are adding an extra letter on there, not that it takes any extra effort to pronounce an s. But it's more understandable for someone to not bother with contractions now and then, whereas someone who says vinyl is either trolling or ignorant to the fact that it is not an actual word. I doubt many people on these boards are ignorant to the basic grammatical fact that it is should be it's. People are lazy, and that's fine by me. I agree that hearing people say vinyl makes me cringe a bit on the inside, but I can't really blame them for not knowing as long as they are relatively new to the vinyl game. Anyway, let's all play nice now.

FINNNNNNEEEEEEEEE  ;)

went out to eat for a friends bday party, did the whole 'i listen to vinyl' 'oh you do?' conversation.

i was showing them pics from my phone like it was a little baby.

"...and this one, is a tour edition...."

"...and this one..."

not one fuck was given. it was still super cute.

that being said.....ive been collecting for almost 10 years (as most of you have...and some of you wayyyyy longer) it still shocks me when people don't understand why. its nice to see the rise of this format but honestly...im getting sick of the insane prices. 

I suspect the popular use of the word "vinyl" to come to an end soon. No data, no research, just my insights. Take it with a grain of salt.

We are in a midst of a record boom. But most of the people getting into records now are buying $70 plastic Ions and Audio Technica turntables. Soon they real realize that their Ion generated sound quality is inferior to itunes and tire from their AT-PL300 skipping. Out of innocent ignorance, they will believe that vinyl sucks and go back to mp3s.

The vinyl market will shrink, albums won't be needing 6 different colors.

Things will go back to normal again.

pop punk and collecting vinyl became really trendy at the same time. i hope they die at the same time, too.

oh man! I didn't use a proper contraction on an internet forum....shit, i should leave the internet. 

damn my english degree! clearly its not being put to good use if its not being used on this niche forum! ahhh!

i'll pretend you did this to show that other guy up. you go, dude!

• 2 weeks later...

New article on a similar topic from the BBC, but they do go into more detail about used vinyl sales which I thought some might find interesting here:

"When you collect vinyl it is a love affair that you will always have." -DJ JAZZY JEFF

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21010240

How did the notion of pop punk and the vinyl 'resurgence' being synonymous come into play? I go into the record stores around the city and pop punk takes up a rack or two of space - maybe a few dozen records amongst literally thousands of new releases.

Like Derek said, these articles have been popping up for a long time - I remember reading one in the Tribune back in 2006. In between these and the cassette resurgence articles, I think chasing 'dead format' stories is just a go to topic for writers when it's a slow day in the news room.

How did the notion of pop punk and the vinyl 'resurgence' being synonymous come into play? I go into the record stores around the city and pop punk takes up a rack or two of space - maybe a few dozen records amongst literally thousands of new releases.

Like Derek said, these articles have been popping up for a long time - I remember reading one in the Tribune back in 2006. In between these and the cassette resurgence articles, I think chasing 'dead format' stories is just a go to topic for writers when it's a slow day in the news room.

Exactly. Pop punk is an extremely niche market that is hyped in very few circles, it's just so happens that this is one of them. Good points!