Christian Metalcore.

jhook

Religlious finally shook me out of belief. I finally went "Yeah this is bullshit" and have been happy with my choice. 

When I went and saw the film there were horrid wins blowing and a giant christian protest outside the theater. kind of awesome. 

The thing about Religilous is that Bill Maher predominantly showed his interviews with people who are completely idiotic and didn't really have anybody who knew what the fuck they were talking about. I don't disagree with Religilous or anything but it seemed really biased, as if he was just looking for the weakest link to take out.

humanity will inevitably become smart enough to where everyone on the planet embraces this fact.

At the rate we are going, i'd be damned if people snapped out of it. Humans are naturally scared and looking for answers and as long as there are none, people will use the Bible (or whatever else tells you that shit will be okay and that an afterlife exists) to comfort themselves.

Catholic school fucked me in the head. I would still probably be scared and pray all the time without it though.

The thing about Religilous is that Bill Maher predominantly showed his interviews with people who are completely idiotic and didn't really have anybody who knew what the fuck they were talking about. I don't disagree with Religilous or anything but it seemed really biased, as if he was just looking for the weakest link to take out.

it had an atheist as a writer and director. you have to expect it to be bias.

as an atheist myself, its hard for me to take sides, because i agreed with 90% of that movie.

i'm also a pothead and a fan of bill maher's shows, so debating in this won't result in a rational ending by any means.

i am however, comfortable enough in the ideals of atheism to proclaim that humanity is indeed smart enough to realize this conclusion with the proper information and mind set.

maybe it's because i smoke to much pot, or because most of humanity doesn't smoke enough, but that answer is for a whole 'nother argument entirely.

Isn't As I Lay Dying a christian band? Or maybe they were.  Idk.. there are a lot of bands that include religious messages in their lyrics but aren't considered 'a Christian band'.  Pedro the Lion for example.

I dug the shit out of a local Duluth band called Foreknown in the early 2000s.  I didn't listen to the lyrics or the praise jeebuses between songs.  I just wanted my crappy breakdowns.

it had an atheist as a writer and director. you have to expect it to be bias.

as an atheist myself, its hard for me to take sides, because i agreed with 90% of that movie.

i'm also a pothead and a fan of bill maher's shows, so debating in this won't result in a rational ending by any means.

i am however, comfortable enough in the ideals of atheism to proclaim that humanity is indeed smart enough to realize this conclusion with the proper information and mind set.

maybe it's because i smoke to much pot, or because most of humanity doesn't smoke enough, but that answer is for a whole 'nother argument entirely.

I hear ya. I mean I agree with everything that the movie stated but I would have enjoyed educated opinions from both sides. That way it is at least a little fair, instead of the majority of the interviews being inbred Evangelicals.  I am a staunch non-believer as well but I feel like there are a lot of people who only have morals because of the bible and that scares me.  I smoke a lot of weed too but I guess I am a bit too jaded at this point for things to not piss me off as much. I need to work on that.

I grew up going to Catholic/christian schools and like I said before, they did a number on me and it ended up making me have extreme disdain for majority of religious people. I just picture the suburban Arian christian bigots and it makes my blood boil. My science class in 7th grade involved the teacher preaching about how gays are going to hell pretty much for a whole year.

I hear ya. I mean I agree with everything that the movie stated but I would have enjoyed educated opinions from both sides. That way it is at least a little fair, instead of the majority of the interviews being inbred Evangelicals.  I am a staunch non-believer as well but I feel like there are a lot of people who only have morals because of the bible and that scares me.  I smoke a lot of weed too but I guess I am a bit too jaded at this point for things to not piss me off as much. I need to work on that.

I grew up going to Catholic/christian schools and like I said before, they did a number on me and it ended up making me have extreme disdain for majority of religious people. I just picture the suburban Arian christian bigots and it makes my blood boil. My science class in 7th grade involved the teacher preaching about how gays are going to hell pretty much for a whole year.

i went to a Luthren school from k-3, and i'm no longer 100% left handed from it.

my teacher used to make me sit on my left hand when writing, and would swat it with a ruler when i attempted to write or draw with it.

now i write with my right, and use my right hand for various utensils, but i use my left for other tasks like throwing, etc.

i went to a Luthren school from k-3, and i'm no longer 100% left handed from it.

my teacher used to make me sit on my left hand when writing, and would swat it with a ruler when i attempted to write or draw with it.

now i write with my right, and use my right hand for various utensils, but i use my left for other tasks like throwing, etc.

Fuck, that sucks. I don't understand why people like that become teachers.

Fuck, that sucks. I don't understand why people like that become teachers.

Because religion gives them an outlet. Its a crazy culture to grow up in. They've created this whole amazing world of delusion that you can live in, marry in, and raise delusional children in. 

I went to a religious college. I wanted to be pastor (I think to impress a girl). it started to fall apart when i started taking theology class. Our school also hated Gay people and i stood up to the school and got lambasted for it. 

the one nice thing was christian girls give great head. true story. 

Because religion gives them an outlet. Its a crazy culture to grow up in. They've created this whole amazing world of delusion that you can live in, marry in, and raise delusional children in.

I went to a religious college. I wanted to be pastor (I think to impress a girl). it started to fall apart when i started taking theology class. Our school also hated Gay people and i stood up to the school and got lambasted for it.

the one nice thing was christian girls give great head. true story.

every chick I've fucked in the ass was a Mormon.

Can't believe nobody is into studying history, religion, theology, philosophy in here. This is some of the most interesting stuff in academia. I guess a thread about Christian crab rock is a turn off.

Two things:

If you're willing to accept that being 'punk' means the core of America (nay, the world) accepts the 2003 version of popular music incarnations of punk (i.e., Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, etc), then it shouldn't be unreasonable to believe that people who are religious can still espouse essential core beliefs of punk ideology in the same way atheists and agnostics do.

Also, with regard to Jesus, there is historical evidence to support that Jesus of Nazareth was a real person. Debating his divinity is another matter. There was a Jewish historian named Flavius Josephus. He wrote a lot about Jewish history, the famous Jewish Wars and what occurred during the first century of the common era. He wrote some about Jesus and made references to him which is important since he was Jewish and didn't view Jesus as Messiah (meaning he wasn't a follower and had no reason to report on him other than citing him as a historical figure - he had no agenda). Because he wrote in the 1st century, his writings are considered to be first-source material, and thus are more trustworthy than others that appeared later. There are still other factors that come into play when considering authorship and authenticity of his writings (what textual criticism aims to prove in works of antiquity).

There's a decent introductory entry about Josephus on Jesus on Wiki if you're into learning about history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

There's a decent introductory entry about Josephus on Jesus on Wiki if you're into learning about history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

writing things down doesn't make them true. 

there is no scientific evidence of his existence at all.

just conflicting documents written by other people.

also, it's not difficult at all to prove the existence of specific people at that time.

especially if they held a level of fame like jesus did.

you think there'd be SOMETHING by now.

Organized religion stands for the exact opposite of what punk and hardcore does. Not to repeat a tired cliche but punk/hardcore is alot more than music. It's a set of beliefs that stand against stuff like religion. I mean it's just my opinion,man.

I disagree.  I've always thought being "Punk" was about being accepting.  The one fundamental about the Punk scene is, or at least should be, acceptance and tolerance.  Being Punk is about being able to recognize our differences or talk about them.  Having a frank and honest discussion about our ideology is something that we need more of these days.

As long as you respect the ideology of others, I'll respect you and yours.  I do get that that is where an issue comes in with some peoples religion though.  Those with the mentality that they must force their message on any non-believers.

However, rigid ideology like "there is no room for religion in punk" is just as fucked as those bands christian bands trying to force their beliefs on other.

LIKE WHAT YOU WANT TO LIKE.

no reason for this OP at all. If you think it's lame, leave it alone. Who are you to judge what some hold dear?

By you saying it's lame, you're now doing the exact opposite of your intentions by drawing attention to it

If you just want to stir controversy, 4chan exists. There's no purpose in shitting on the hard work of others no matter how vehemently you disagree with it except vindicating whatever deep-seeded self interest you have in seeing it torn down. 

When I made this thread I made it with the sole purpose of building an army to smash all religions.

When I was getting into punk it was about acceptance within the scene. Organized religion, cops, the government were all considered outsiders and we did not want anything to do with them. Now in my old age I have backed off alot on some of my views. Maybe it's "growing up"  or whatever. I still hold a strong stance against religion tho.

I am still relitivly young but alot has changed within the "punk" scene. When I showed up to school with a mo-hawk and a punk band shirt I was a "faggot" and a "loser". Kids wanted to fight me, teachers hated me and other kids parents did'nt want me around there kids. It was awesome and I loved every minute of it. Now it seems that those things are considered cool in popular culture.

I started going to shows because the music had a message in it. The message was "fuck everyone we are different and we want no part of being normal" I met other kids who were considered outsiders and we became friends because we did'nt have any where we lived. These kids are still my friends today.

Religious hardcore/metal/punk bands don't belong in the circle of the scene that I and many other people consider a major part of our lives. It belongs in the church. I don't want to hear songs about god and I don't want to hear how he is going to save me. Save that for Sunday morning with the rest of the robots to hear.

I have used alot of buzzwords in this post so I am going to stop typing.

Can't believe nobody is into studying history, religion, theology, philosophy in here. This is some of the most interesting stuff in academia. I guess a thread about Christian crab rock is a turn off.

Nah...I like making money and studying stuff like this when I have time.

Thanks for the reference. I'm gonna read up but not tonight. I brought that point up in here because I really had no idea what was out there. Now that you pointed me in the right direction, I can read up through wikipedia jumping to other referenced topics.

When I made this thread I made it with the sole purpose of building an army to smash all religions.

When I was getting into punk it was about acceptance within the scene. Organized religion, cops, the government were all considered outsiders and we did not want anything to do with them. Now in my old age I have backed off alot on some of my views. Maybe it's "growing up" or whatever. I still hold a strong stance against religion tho.

I am still relitivly young but alot has changed within the "punk" scene. When I showed up to school with a mo-hawk and a punk band shirt I was a "faggot" and a "loser". Kids wanted to fight me, teachers hated me and other kids parents did'nt want me around there kids. It was awesome and I loved every minute of it. Now it seems that those things are considered cool in popular culture.

I started going to shows because the music had a message in it. The message was "fuck everyone we are different and we want no part of being normal" I met other kids who were considered outsiders and we became friends because we did'nt have any where we lived. These kids are still my friends today.

Religious hardcore/metal/punk bands don't belong in the circle of the scene that I and many other people consider a major part of our lives. It belongs in the church. I don't want to hear songs about god and I don't want to hear how he is going to save me. Save that for Sunday morning with the rest of the robots to hear.

I have used alot of buzzwords in this post so I am going to stop typing.

So basically you stared a thread to stir up shit and be an intolerant asshole?

Cool man, I think you got your point across.